Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Okay, finally read it, and it certainly was... something. Definitely felt rushed, and Peter should've gotten more of a definitive victory over Kindred/s... beat them up so bad that their bodies start breaking down, something to that effect. Oh well, like one of them said, he still won in the end, they're gone (For now... comics), and we can move on from them.

As for the run, I'm a little of Column A and Column B in how this whole thing ended up. Editorial had their ideas, Spencer had his, and, well... it is what it is. I guess my main issue with Spencer was that the Kindred saga shouldn't have taken this long to wrap up. I imagine Editorial didn't help, though. *Sigh* Oh well, onward to Beyond!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Marvel is never gonna let us touch OMD as a resolution but I thought the solution offered by Strange was good enough really
    I’d personally prefer something more punching the devil in the face variety but…if a writer decided that nope this counted deals done and then remarry the two, which I kind of feel what Strange was hinting at, then meh I guess I’ll take it.

Mighty Member

I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand, OMD is now as dealt with as it's ever going to be. Peter and MJ are back together and we've sorted out the why of Mephisto's involvement. We made Norman somehow an even worse person that he was before, which I suppose is an achievement of a sort. And it didn't totally suck. It was passably readable.

On the other hand, Kindred(s), their motivations and their endgame are a real stretch. I guess we're supposed to believe that Gabe and Sarah were pissed at Peter for forgetting them, ignoring them, not embracing them the way he has Harry, Felicia, or others. That's pretty thin, particularly when it's never made explicit. Their mad on for Norman makes sense, and the truth of their origin undoes the worst part of Sins Past, which isn't nothing, but after all that build up, having Kindred land like a wet noodle really deflates the whole story. Also, we 'redeemed' Harry, then killed him. Again. And it was done better the first time, in Spectacular #200. Which we even were reminded of as this one opened. Maybe don't mention the far superior tale before you steal from it, Spencer? I get it, homage. Echoes. But it didn't work for me.

I also hated the way the Norman portion of the plot ended. He'll be Green Goblin again within two years, tops. Which means this was all for nothing. His lamentation over Harry's body just has no impact when you know the growth isn't going anywhere. I would have preferred to have Norman embrace his evil and just spit on the whole lot of them. Make it clear that even without his old sins, Norman is just going to be a factory for new ones. He's the most overdone, overused rogue in Pete's gallery, but the cost of that is that a redemption angle just doesn't sell.

I see a lot of people blaming editorial. I'm not ruling it out. But this felt like a rushed, "Later suckers!" from Spencer as he flees for his sweet Substack deal. You could pretty much tell when he stopped caring altogether (I'd say roughly issue #50) and this was just him fulfilling contractual obligations so he can look good for any potential talent he can poach.

Amazing Member

Wow, that was... Bad beyond words. I can't remember the last time I witnessed such amount of editorial interference. I even doubt Spencer has written a single line of it, and Lowe did just what he was told. Nothing here makes any sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I'm a little torn on this one. On the one hand, OMD is now as dealt with as it's ever going to be. Peter and MJ are back together and we've sorted out the why of Mephisto's involvement. We made Norman somehow an even worse person that he was before, which I suppose is an achievement of a sort. And it didn't totally suck. It was passably readable.

On the other hand, Kindred(s), their motivations and their endgame are a real stretch. I guess we're supposed to believe that Gabe and Sarah were pissed at Peter for forgetting them, ignoring them, not embracing them the way he has Harry, Felicia, or others. That's pretty thin, particularly when it's never made explicit. Their mad on for Norman makes sense, and the truth of their origin undoes the worst part of Sins Past, which isn't nothing, but after all that build up, having Kindred land like a wet noodle really deflates the whole story. Also, we 'redeemed' Harry, then killed him. Again. And it was done better the first time, in Spectacular #200. Which we even were reminded of as this one opened. Maybe don't mention the far superior tale before you steal from it, Spencer? I get it, homage. Echoes. But it didn't work for me.

I also hated the way the Norman portion of the plot ended. He'll be Green Goblin again within two years, tops. Which means this was all for nothing. His lamentation over Harry's body just has no impact when you know the growth isn't going anywhere. I would have preferred to have Norman embrace his evil and just spit on the whole lot of them. Make it clear that even without his old sins, Norman is just going to be a factory for new ones. He's the most overdone, overused rogue in Pete's gallery, but the cost of that is that a redemption angle just doesn't sell.

I see a lot of people blaming editorial. I'm not ruling it out. But this felt like a rushed, "Later suckers!" from Spencer as he flees for his sweet Substack deal. You could pretty much tell when he stopped caring altogether (I'd say roughly issue #50) and this was just him fulfilling contractual obligations so he can look good for any potential talent he can poach.
    It feels half-a*sed because they interfered.I would be pissed to if someone told me I couldn't do a story that I've built up to for years, and then make major changes.

So... The Harry who returned in OMD was a clone and he is dead now, right? How didn't he degenerate? Did he have soul of the original? He clearly remembered his death, or was it Mysterio's Hypnosis? What is Peter's Sin? What he had to confess? Why Kindred was crying at the end of Last Remains? Who dig the holes for the bodies? How is it possible for the Twins to die, go to hell and get back, and then die again?
    How Kindred killed Peter a bunch of times? How did he revive him? How he was able to enter his dreams? How is it possible for Kindred to have his face punched throught and remain alive? WERE THE CENTIPEDES MAGICAL OR MECHANICAL?

This all is so confusing, we need Mephisto and Harry AI journal...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not like Peter's love life was all that exciting too between Carlie, Silk, and Mockingbird.
    Don' t forget about Loan Teng.

I enjoyed it. I'm glad that it's finally at an end and we can go on to other things. It looks like it's shaken up a lot of things and I'm excited for what's over the horizon and Beyond (ha ha)

So they didn't undo OMD. And....I REALLY don't care. Seriously all the talk about undoing OMD has gotten absolutely annoying. I don't think they're ever going to undo it. And they really don't need to. Look at where we're at now. Peter and MJ are together, madly in love and it looks like they're going to get remarried. Honestly their love seems stronger than ever so what on earth would undoing OMD do at this point? Just let it go and move on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    I enjoyed it. I'm glad that it's finally at an end and we can go on to other things. It looks like it's shaken up a lot of things and I'm excited for what's over the horizon and Beyond (ha ha)

So they didn't undo OMD. And....I REALLY don't care. Seriously all the talk about undoing OMD has gotten absolutely annoying. I don't think they're ever going to undo it. And they really don't need to. Look at where we're at now. Peter and MJ are together, madly in love and it looks like they're going to get remarried. Honestly their love seems stronger than ever so what on earth would undoing OMD do at this point? Just let it go and move on.
    I understand your points, but I would rebut with (A) undoing OMD seemed to be something Spencer was building up to for 74 issues and 3+ years… and (B) a superhero icon to millions making a deal with the Devil and sacrificing his marriage and future child is not a great look. MJ and Peter deserved to know the truth and that deal should be retconned.

I also think it’s not just the lack of OMD closure people are pissed about, but a lot of the other plot holes that don’t make sense now… like the whole Stacy twins replacing Harry as Kindred with little explanation of all the previous groundwork laid for it to be Harry. I think if it was just a lack of OMD closure, but the Harry-as-Kindred stuff still made sense, people would be a lot more forgiving.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post

Them being together and mayday being a future possibility is undoing it IMO, just very stealthy and unsatisfying

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I understand your points, but I would rebut with (A) undoing OMD seemed to be something Spencer was building up to for 74 issues and 3+ years… and (B) a superhero icon to millions making a deal with the Devil and sacrificing his marriage and future child is not a great look. MJ and Peter deserved to know the truth and that deal should be retconned.

I also think it’s not just the lack of OMD closure people are pissed about, but a lot of the other plot holes that don’t make sense now… like the whole Stacy twins replacing Harry as Kindred with little explanation of all the previous groundwork laid for it to be Harry. I think if it was just a lack of OMD closure, but the Harry-as-Kindred stuff still made sense, people would be a lot more forgiving.
    Carol Danvers had slept(I think it was s*xual assault as well) with a guy and gave birth to the same guy.The Avengers were okay w/ this as well.Amazon's s*xually assualt men at see for kids and then give the male kids for slavery.Deathstroke slept w/ underage people and his sons fiance.Comics are weird.

I'm only mad because Spencer was going all the way and they didn't let him.And that Kindred stuff was changed to make the story the way Editorial wanted.We still got 3 years of great character work, multiple opened ended stories that writers can use in a multitude of ways and Sins Past was undone(it's rooted pretty deep in canon, it's hard to retcon) not to mention seeing Mayday in 616 future, setting up Peter to be the one who takes Mephisto down in the present while Mayday does in the future.Biggest is that OMD for all purposes is undone, just not ceremoniously, we have the Pre-OMD set up now.It's still a good run, and does a lot, but it could have done much more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Them being together and mayday being a future possibility is undoing it IMO, just very stealthy and unsatisfying

Carol Danvers had slept(I think it was s*xual assault as well) with a guy and gave birth to the same guy.The Avengers were okay w/ this as well.Amazon's s*xually assualt men at see for kids and then give the male kids for slavery.Deathstroke slept w/ underage people and his sons fiance.Comics are weird.
    No one is saying the comic is offensive like 'Sins Past' or that infamous Carol Danvers story. People are just unsatisfied because it's not coherent, logical or epic enough to justify the build-up.

Honestly if Marvel's smart, regardless of whether they go back on this today and decide to actually revisit OMD for real, they should get Peter and MJ married again this decade committing to it 100%. It'd be a big news worthy event of a thing to celebrate the 60th anniversary next year/#900 and please a lot of people to see.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    So... The Harry who returned in OMD was a clone and he is dead now, right? How didn't he degenerate? Did he have soul of the original? He clearly remembered his death, or was it Mysterio's Hypnosis? What is Peter's Sin? What he had to confess? Why Kindred was crying at the end of Last Remains? Who dig the holes for the bodies? How is it possible for the Twins to die, go to hell and get back, and then die again?
    How Kindred killed Peter a bunch of times? How did he revive him? How he was able to enter his dreams? How is it possible for Kindred to have his face punched throught and remain alive? WERE THE CENTIPEDES MAGICAL OR MECHANICAL?

This all is so confusing, we need Mephisto and Harry AI journal...
    You and others have put it very clearly. Not dealing with OMD is just a little part of this whole fiasco, although it probably took a big part in editorial altering the overall story.

It's the story what's a huge disaster. Nothing about Kindred makes the little bit of sense, and lots of secondary plots are left to rot. This is so bad my head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Honestly if Marvel's smart, regardless of whether they go back on this today and decide to actually revisit OMD for real, they should get Peter and MJ married again this decade committing to it 100%. It'd be a big news worthy event of a thing to celebrate the 60th anniversary next year/#900 and please a lot of people to see.
    I'm afraid that getting them married again will prevent a lot of drama stories - break ups, affairs etc. So it's entirely possible Marvel never decides to Marry them again.

Either way I'm ok with their status right now, but I'm not okay with how Kindred's saga was ended. It was much more promising.

Also, It would be nice to finally see OMD fallout, and Peter facing his sin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Which is why we won't see it .

Man everything since Last Remains hasn't been good enough, it's a convoluted mess we're left with questions unanswered which others have brought up like Kindred wanting Peter to confess. Going from Harry as Kindred to the twins. I smell editorial interference as well though Nick Spencer didn't help with his pacing problems. Telling there's no interviews with Spencer about his run ending. Here's hoping we do get one ASAP with Spencer and he tells it like it is.
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 09-30-2021 at 02:45 AM.