Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Damnit, I haven't felt so bad about completing a long super hero run with a final issue that serve no payoff since I complete Tom King's Batman. both runs i would hear bad reception from fans especially the pacing and i would try to find the good in it so i can justify myself over staying on instead of dropping. hoping that the last issue will make it all worth it but man.....
    Last edited by Rzerox21xx; 09-28-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Damnit, I haven't felt so bad about completing a long super hero run with a final issue that serve no payoff since I complete Tom King's Batman.
    funny i was watching a podcast and they did compared spencer run to tom king batman. And both give similar vibes within the story and fandom
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    funny i was watching a podcast and they did compared spencer run to tom king batman. And both give similar vibes within the story and fandom
    now im curious about that podcast, can you provide a link?

Fantastic Member

As much as I love Ben Reilly and am glad to see him back, the reason for his return (and Peter being taken off the board for a bit) is abundantly clear given the "conclusion" to this arc. If someone was forced to continue onward they'd be forced to address these things because they'd be fresh in people's minds. They'll have Peter be off grid for 3-12 months and then hope that either people forget it or that it buys them enough time to figure out how to address it.
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Yes, there is no flat-out guarantee, but the fact of the matter is, up until this point One More Day was Spider-Man's... redheaded... -I mean it can't be a bad thing because of MJ, but, uh, bear with me here! - redheaded step child. Don't think about it, don't bring it up, they made a literal deal with the devil, Quesada tried to get you to believe MJ was smarter than the literal devil and so her loophole undid the deal even if the deal's effects are in place without which there would HAVE been no deal, so on and so forth.

Even the Spider-Man/Deadpool story basically worked as an 'one shot' because Mephisto was quite frankly very upset Spidey didn't go over the edge and whatnot and decided to set his sights on Deadpool.

But then, even as Slott's run neared its end, they literally acknowledged it in mainline Amazing in the longest time. Then Spencer's run came, which needs no introduction. Alongside all of that, there were some comic sites literally publishing headlines saying "Marvel needs to undo One More Day or stop teasing fans about it". That was on the pipeline of Spencer's run. And - this isn't some sort of culture war play, it's just how the game is played - comic book sites are terribly soft ball, to put it mildly. Even if most of pop culture press is 'access media', they're on the absolute end of the spectrum. It is what it is - see how even for notorious "who asked for this?" stinkers like Civil War 2 or Grounded, any time they had to do an interview, they'd treat the involved with all of the reverence of someone approaching Spielberg after Schindler's List killed it at the Academy Awards.

They were already nudging towards Marvel doing something with One More Day. It's the same typical sites that would routinely call Ben Reilly "one of Spider-Man's most infamous side characters ever" (a headline like that sure gets clicks!), and now they basically have to convince you Ben was always great in the 90s and Beyond is most assuredly a good thing™. They wouldn't go against the company that supplies their previews and access, media or personality, in such a big way like One More Day, unless Marvel was already changing their tune on the subject.

We're just finding out their tune can last literal years, as it already has from the beginning of Spencer's Escher run.
    I never heard of anyone referring Ben Reilly as one of “Spider-Man’s most infamous side characters.” In fact, I never heard that term used towards anyone: Even characters that are far more despised like Michelle Gonzalez, Nora, Cindy and Carlie. As for OMD, if Marvel and ( or) Spencer do not want to get rid of it, that is their decision, not mine ( especially because my financial interest is very limited ( unlike Spencer, Disney and Marvel). That said, there is no excuse for teasing stuff like recreating BND, and MJ saying he does not know, and the Strange/Mephisto conversation. I am at the point where to quote Harry Truman: I am from Missouri, you have to show me: I no longer believe they will get rid of it ( even in ASM 1000). I also am not drinking the Nick Spencer Kool Aid. Praising him for writing MJ and Felicia so well. This reminds me of the praise of JMS writing MJ and Aunt May well, while along with Marvel Editorial gave us OMD in the first place.

I still will stand by a lot of the earlier stuff in Spencer's run as enjoyable Spidey, nothing groundbreaking or new but just enjoyable stories taking advantage of the history and feeling identifiably authentic. Like hanging out with old friends. Kindred was intriguing at first and all the hints were promising but Spidey comics and mystery villains don't mix well despite how often they try and do them.

It coulda been great if the pacing didn't go off the rails, art held the higher caliber it started with, and if Spencer got to do what he was trying to. That's the worst thing- whenever you have a creator that just gets kneecapped and isn't able to tell the story they wanted, good or bad, agree or disagree with it, you can typically feel when things have been meddled with too much, much like how I think we have been feeling it for the last year.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 09-28-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I never heard of anyone referring Ben Reilly as one of “Spider-Man’s most infamous side characters.”
    Here y'go man.

I also am not drinking the Nick Spencer Kool Aid. Praising him for writing MJ and Felicia so well. This reminds me of the praise of JMS writing MJ and Aunt May well while along with Marvel Editorial gave us OMD in the first place.
    I agree on both, really.

It coulda been great if the pacing didn't go off the rails
    Yeah, I think beginning with Sins Rising the safety belts came off and there were a series of walls in front of the car.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yeah, I can see the similarities between this and King's Batman run a lot now that you mention it. Both hyped up long time villains (bane and harry) and the promise of a long time coming relationship change (selina and mj) only to end up with the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    now im curious about that podcast, can you provide a link?
    https://youtu.be/pqXi7sA6Soo

Start @1:20

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Here y'go man.

I agree on both, really.

Yeah, I think beginning with Sins Rising the safety belts came off and there were a series of walls in front of the car.
    I remember reading that article man it’s already been a year since Conan beat Ben. Also cbr articles are very hit or miss mainly miss. Especially their anime and manga articles I read those and I’m like why

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Slott was right. They will NEVER EVER undo OMD in continuity.
    This basically.

I don't even think Disney would allow Marvel editorial ondo OMD at this point.

Considering that a not-married Peter Parker is what features pretty much everywhere from movies to video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    This basically.

I don't even think Disney would allow Marvel editorial ondo OMD at this point.

Considering that a not-married Peter Parker is what features pretty much everywhere from movies to video games.
    Why would Disney care about a married Peter Parker? They weren’t the ones who did OMD it was all Marvel. Does Disney even care what happens in Marvel Comics?

Ultimate Member

Why would Disney care about a married Peter Parker? They weren’t the ones who did OMD it was all Marvel. Does Disney even care what happens in Marvel Comics?
    I'm not saying that Disney mandated OMD. OMD was done pre-Disney acquisition.

I'm looking at more from a "brand synergy" standpoint.

Spider-man is still Marvel's (and I mean Marvel as a brand) crown jewel and I think that there would be "suggestions" that Peter Parker keeps being presented in the same way across the board. That is a single, young Peter Parker.

Heck, the games literally de-aged Peter's appearance even when it didn't make much sense at all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Slott was right. They will NEVER EVER undo OMD in continuity.
    Probably not as long as Quesada and Brevoort are still around in some capacity at Marvel Comics.

But who knows what the future will hold.

BANNED

Why would Disney care about a married Peter Parker?
    I don't think Disney cares either way but at the same time, Disney will listen to Joe Quesada and Tom Brevoort and they are the ones who furnish material for the corporate Board presentations and meetings where they'll drive home how Spider-Man is about youth. Quesada and Brevoort aren't exactly the ones in the "room where it happens" but they talk to and report to people who will go to them in the chain of command and then report that stuff above them and so on.

Outside of Marvel, people haven't forgotten that Peter was married and successful. The famous 2014 Sony Hacked Emails had one producer pitch a movie about Kraven's last hunt and he said:

Another side of Spider-Man that might be interesting to explore in a reboot is seeing him as an adult. Spidey hasn’t remained a teenager over the 52 years he’s been around. He’s moved in with his girlfriend, gotten married, and in some storylines, even became a science teacher at a high school.

It might feel fresh to see Peter Parker juggling with adult issues. He’s done so in the comics for decades, and kids still found this fun to read.
    -- Jeff Robinov [Current head of Studio 8]