Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    No way Spencer chickened out, he was clearly building to address One More Day. He didnt either because he was leaving early so someone after him will follow up on it instead for 900, or because editorial went against it and made him change. My guess is the latter.
    Yeah I agree. Maybe the plan was for issue 900 to actually undo OMD, and Spencer bailing early means they’re either ditching that or trying to find someone else to do it? But God this run just doesn’t hold up given all of it is Kindred bull crap that now only leads to a convoluted Sins Past retcon that is barely even coherent. I hope Pete and MJ stick together but I have my doubts.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

No way Spencer chickened out, he was clearly building to address One More Day. He didnt either because he was leaving early so someone after him will follow up on it instead for 900, or because editorial went against it and made him change. My guess is the latter.
    I understand Editorial are not exactly good guys ( see Quesada), but I am not letting Spencer off the hook so easily. His pacing sucked, he used too many characters, he turned Peter into Pathetic Parker/Damsel In Distress, and last but not least he had plenty of time to deal with Kindred but waited too long (that story should have been over two years ago). Also why play the Harry Osborn game when you had Kindred be the Stacy Twins. What about the issue with Spencer basically repeating BND? If that is not game playing mixed with unnecessary filler I do not know what that is. If this is the end, then Spencer not only did he not Stick The Landing, but fell on his ass. For that he gets a Grade of F from me ( even below Slott because at least he gave us ASM 801 for an ending ( not to mention (RYV))
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-28-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I agree. Maybe the plan was for issue 900 to actually undo OMD, and Spencer bailing early means they’re either ditching that or trying to find someone else to do it? But God this run just doesn’t hold up given all of it is Kindred bull crap that now only leads to a convoluted Sins Past retcon that is barely even coherent. I hope Pete and MJ stick together but I have my doubts.
    Hoping for an OMD retcon and only getting a Sins Past retcon, is like asking Marge for Bonestorm for Christmas, and getting Lee Carvello’s Putting Challenge instead. (Simpson fans will get it )

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    @shadow panther - feel free to be as spoiler-y or as vague as you wish, but does the last issue explain at all what Peter's supposed sin was that Kindred ranted about in Last Remains?
    It does not. Nor does it answer "What is wrong with Peter Parkers Soul" nor does it address what Mysterio knows about Pete and MJ

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadow panther View Post
    It does not. Nor does it answer "What is wrong with Peter Parkers Soul" nor does it address what Mysterio knows about Pete and MJ
    I believe you as there’s too many people saying the same stuff in the 4Chan thread (plus you clearly have the copy).

I won’t ask for all the spoilers. I can wait 12 hours and my excitement has been severely deflated. Sounds like editorial to me. If so, this will leave a bit of a stain on this run the same way Bob Harras screwed up the X-books in the 90s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Hoping for an OMD retcon and only getting a Sins Past retcon, is like asking Marge for Bonestorm for Christmas, and getting Lee Carvello’s Putting Challenge instead. (Simpson fans will get it )
    More like expecting to take a woman that looks like MJ to the prom and getting Harley Quinn instead.

I believe you as there’s too many people saying the same stuff in the 4Chan thread (plus you clearly have the copy).

I won’t ask for all the spoilers. I can wait 12 hours and my excitement has been severely deflated. Sounds like editorial to me. If so, this will leave a bit of a stain on this run the same way Bob Harras screwed up the X-books in the 90s.
    it still completely retcons Sins Past so its not all bad

When Last Remains has an issue with half the pages literally copied directly from the end of OMD, I wonder why. Also features Peters corrupted soul with One More Day demons infestating it and MJ repeatedly saying THE ANSWR IS YES…. Mysterio even tells Peter and MJ that THEY are the reason all this is happening with an image of Mephisto.

Again its supposed to be about One More Day. No one is incorrectly fixing OMD to it. Spencer wasnt allowed to have Peter CONFESS in his run.
    Like I said, Spencer didn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Actually NO. Why do I think OMD needs to go away? For me it ( along with the film Paradise Hills) is the only fictional story I hate with a passion. It is also the kind of bad story that someone could write a thesis paper about. It can be titled Spider-Man: Before And After One More Day. Including Peter as a Man-Child and Peter as “Pathetic Parker/Damsel In Distress. My one sentence argument against it: There can be no character growth as long as that story is canon.
    I get wanting OMD undone or acknowledged so we can finally collectively move on from it, but just making it a focal point of this run doesn't automatically improve it in my opinion and the pivots we made for it in LR and here just seem...pointless and unnecessary when better time could have been spent making this a stronger and more cohesive run.

Just cleanup after cleanup.
    With hype comes expectations and hopes. Then if you dash those hopes, people get twice as angry for you getting them up in the first place.

Fwiw, I wouldn’t blame Spencer. He probably had to fight editorial just to include the Mayday fighting Mephisto panels. Sounds like the usual story… editorial screwed up a writer’s master-plan by thinking they know better (which they never have… ever). They did this so much in the 90s and early 00s, but now it’s 2021 and somehow they still haven’t learned their lesson. Incredible.
    It might be editorial. With all the co-writers who got brought in, it might have been Spencer, it might have been editorial...we may never know.

Mighty Member

That's absurd. What a joke
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Damn, 74 issues of cockteasing only to have editorial either block him or Spencer chickened out at the last moment. Least I got some Mayday love. Maybe they’re saving it for issue 900? But with Spencer gone who knows if any of the writers taking over even want to go that route.
    If they let Spencer take all this teasing so far I see no idea why they wouldn't let any other writer do it - or, heck, mandate it. Spencer's on record saying Quesada was the one who said he should get Peter and MJ back together.

Marvel probably just wised up to the fact there's money in undoing notorious stinkers that are damn near unanimously reviled. If anyone saw the lengths of goodwill Spencer got just teasing he might go near OMD territory, there's probably going to be a literal blood war to see who gets to write the actual undoing. And with #900 closing in and Aaron still doing his Mephisto beats, I do think they're just postponing it even longer.

I heard a lot of people tell me Spencer's run was all worth it because OMD was going away (not in this place, to be clear) - a begrudging acknowledgment of the whole Kindred plot spinning its wheels and whatnot ("it's long in the tooth but it's going to take me where I want to go!").

Not sure how they feel right now, but boy, I wouldn't want to be on their shoes.

Got to read this early as well. It was a huge let down. Not a lot happens, other than retconning Sins Past. Nothing is really answered. Does feel like editorial did indeed get involved with this.

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=shadow panther;5751057]it still completely retcons Sins Past so its not all bad[
    I did not like Sins Past but there are worse stories: OMD, Silk and The Other to name three. Again it is like expecting a woman who looks like MJ to go with you to the prom and you get one that looks ( and acts) like Harley Quinn. It is a complete letdown. I really do not care who is primarily to blame there is plenty to go around ( I can tell you this: Editorial allowed Spencer to write Hydra Cap how he wanted to and that is a very controversial story). All I know is this: Spencer’s final issue comes closer to the failure level of JMS’s finale (OMD) then Slott’s ASM 801, and as such not only did not stick the landing but fell.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Well at least we get an answer as to why the devil is interested in poor ol' Petey

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    If they let Spencer take all this teasing so far I see no idea why they wouldn't let any other writer do it - or, heck, mandate it. Spencer's on record saying Quesada was the one who said he should get Peter and MJ back together.

Marvel probably just wised up to the fact there's money in undoing notorious stinkers that are damn near unanimously reviled. If anyone saw the lengths of goodwill Spencer got just teasing he might go near OMD territory, there's probably going to be a literal blood war to see who gets to write the actual undoing. And with #900 closing in and Aaron still doing his Mephisto beats, I do think they're just postponing it even longer.

I heard a lot of people tell me Spencer's run was all worth it because OMD was going away (not in this place, to be clear) - a begrudging acknowledgment of the whole Kindred plot spinning its wheels and whatnot ("it's long in the tooth but it's going to take me where I want to go!").

Not sure how they feel right now, but boy, I wouldn't want to be on their shoes.
    Probably the same way I did when I justified staying with PAD’s Scarlet Spider series. Even though I felt he didn’t get Ben’s voice, and even though I felt for the most part the stories were just not that good, I stayed with it due to the slow progress and hints of Ben’s redemption… and then of course the last issue threw that all out the window!

But as a lifetime reader of comics I’ve been disappointed way more often than I’ve been satisfied with the conclusions of long running stories or runs. I’m an adult deep in my 30s with a family and mortgage, so I can take it. I obviously have bigger worries in my life. It just reinforces the notion that there’s little sense getting invested in modern day Spider-Man as there’s too many competing interests involved in the property to really tell a daring or spontaneous story that doesn’t have some meddling. Like I said, I’ll stick around for Beyond, but after that, I don’t know. I like your optimism that some other writer down the pike may still undo OMD, but personally I don’t see it… at least not in the next few years.

it still completely retcons Sins Past so its not all bad
    They took the lesser of two evils between sins past and OMD. And decided that Norman banging Gwen is way more important than Peter selling his marriage to the devil. I wonder if Spencer will ever talked about how Marvel Editorial effected both his Captain America run and Spider-Man run
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy