Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Jace Fox: Batman Appreciation 2021

It's a bit late in the year, but it's just getting started for the Next Batman!

Timothy Fox was originally created by Len Wein and Irv Novick in 1979's Batman #313, as a troubled youth with a resentment for his father, Lucius Fox, the esteemed CEO of Wayne Enterprises and friend to Bruce Wayne. Initially believing Bruce Wayne to be a slumlord, he was almost led down the path of criminality before being dissuaded by Robin and Batman.

In 2021, John Ridley redefined Batman for an entirely new generation, bringing back the character in DC Future State as the successor to Bruce Wayne and carrying a brand new name: Jace. In the future state of Gotham, the Magistrate had plunged the city into darkness, leading to the Next Batman rising to the occasion, allying with the Bat-Family and leading the city into a brighter tomorrow. Besides being a member of Gotham's Resistance, the Next Batman also jointed the new Justice League alongside the likes of Jon Kent, Yara Flor, Jo Mullein, and others.

Heading into main continuity with DC Infinite Frontier, Jace Fox's motivations were revealed, his origin being that of a guilty man seeking redemption for taking a life. As the formerly estranged son of Lucius Fox, Jace's return to Gotham amidst the terrifying Fear State paved the way for him to become a new kind of Batman. Believing the original Dark Knight to be one of his father's lackeys, he's currently carving a new legend for himself with the mantle of the Caped Crusader.

Essential Reading:

Future State: The Next Batman

The Next Batman: Second Son

I Am Batman #0 - (Undetermined)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    At the end of the year, all Appreciation threads are closed and new threads for the coming year are put in place.

Appreciation threads are for just that - Appreciation. Not for debate, not for slamming and not for bringing other characters down by comparison.

Commence appreciating!
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 09-23-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Yeah I figured at this point it’s better to just give Jace his own thread lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I figured at this point it’s better to just give Jace his own thread lol.
    Yeah, the other thread can be for the Luke fans or something.

One thing I am curious is if with Bruce gone, Jace will face off against the typical Batman Rogues. I wouldn’t mind that but Ridley really needs to hit the ground running and make new ones that are Jace’s alone like how Morrison did for DickBats or the DCAU did for Terry.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I really like this gold and black armored costume in DC Legends. Is this special for the game or has it made an appearance in comics?

He costs 8K in-game gold in the game. One of the most expensive characters I've seen so far. Can't afford it yet, but I got a few of his fragments from the cheaper random pack of 900 gold.

One thing I am curious is if with Bruce gone, Jace will face off against the typical Batman Rogues. I wouldn’t mind that but Ridley really needs to hit the ground running and make new ones that are Jace’s alone like how Morrison did for DickBats or the DCAU did for Terry.
    I Am Batman #4 and 5's solicits confirm that Jace is getting a new villain. Apparently he's facing off against "a new breed of Peacekeeper" that only Lucius can help him defeat.

Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 09-24-2021 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I really like this gold and black armored costume in DC Legends. Is this special for the game or has it made an appearance in comics?

He costs 8K in-game gold in the game. One of the most expensive characters I've seen so far. Can't afford it yet, but I got a few of his fragments from the cheaper random pack of 900 gold.
    It feels like a variation on his Future State Justice League costume honestly
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t think Jace has a love interest yet, does he?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    It feels like a variation on his Future State Justice League costume honestly
    Oh yeah now I remember

Yeah, I like this one best. It's much more simple and streamlined compared to the game version and it's different from Bruce's suit

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I don’t think Jace has a love interest yet, does he?
    No he does, we met her in the #0 issue. She was a classmate of his back at the boarding school that Lucius sent him off to. Her name was Hadiyah.

I remember because Jace and Vol had a whole discussion about Jace ducking her calls.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Oh yeah now I remember

Yeah, I like this one best. It's much more simple and streamlined compared to the game version and it's different from Bruce's suit
    It’s alright. It reminds me too much of Barbara’s New 52 Batgirl suit. I prefer his Future State: The Next Batman suit to anything.

I was skeptical at first but Ridley won me over. I'm curious if Ridley's background as a screenwriter would help him get adapted.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I Am Batman #4 and 5's solicits confirm that Jace is getting a new villain. Apparently he's facing off against "a new breed of Peacekeeper" that only Lucius can help him defeat.

I’m cool with Jace handling the cleanup of the Magistrate. There’s some thematic parallel to be mined there between both Jace and the Peacekeepers being positioned as Bruce’s “replacement”. We’ll see if Jace fared better than them. But he’ll need supervillains of his own beyond just the Peacekeepers though.
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was skeptical at first but Ridley won me over. I'm curious if Ridley's background as a screenwriter would help him get adapted.
    I’m sure the intent to adapt him in something is part of why Ridley was recruited for Jace. If there’s a movie or HBO Max series, I have no doubt Ridley would be involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    It’s alright. It reminds me too much of Barbara’s New 52 Batgirl suit. I prefer his Future State: The Next Batman suit to anything.
    Oooh I see... the underside of the cape is purple too. I was actually thinking of Cassandra Cain with the covered mouth and yellow and black color scheme but yeah I see that.

His Next Batman suit's actually practical for a dark knight, it's black and grey, everything is covered and padded, like if I design a Batman suit, that's probably what I come up with... it's just that for a comic there's no color to break up so it's just a mass of mostly black because the grey is dark too...

I’m cool with Jace handling the cleanup of the Magistrate. There’s some thematic parallel to be mined there between both Jace and the Peacekeepers being positioned as Bruce’s “replacement”. We’ll see if Jace fared better than them. But he’ll need supervillains of his own beyond just the Peacekeepers though.
    I'm sure he'll get more. He's already got Eabha O'Roark and potentially Arkadine. I don't really see him as a replacement considering he was Batman even before he thought Bruce was dead. I suppose they could use that as a parallel, though.