Default Batman: Killing Time by Tom King and David Marquez

BATMAN: KILLING TIME #1
    Written by Tom King
    Art and cover by David Marquez and Alejandro Sánchez
    Variant cover by Kael Ngu
    1:25 variant cover by Alex Garner
    1:100 variant cover by Peach Momoko
    The Batman variant cover by Carlos D’Anda
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | 1 of 6 | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 3/1/22

Three villains, one Dark Knight, and a deadly heist gone wrong.

Catwoman, the Riddler, and the Penguin join forces to pull off the greatest robbery in the history of Gotham City. And their prize? A mysterious and priceless artifact in the secret possession of Bruce Wayne! But, as the events unfold, what fun is a heist without a bloody double cross or two?

The blockbuster team of Tom King and David Marquez bring an epic, white-knuckled, action-packed tale of a young Batman desperate to recover his most prized possession from a host of violent rogues before the clock strikes the Killing Time...
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-15-2021 at 08:39 AM.

So this is King, so either Catwoman betrays everybody, or betrays the criminals for Bruce, or either way Batman was doomed the moment he had to go up against King's Catwoman .

I feel like this exists because of the upcoming movie (which has Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin in it).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So this is King, so either Catwoman betrays everybody, or betrays the criminals for Bruce, or either way Batman was doomed the moment he had to go up against King's Catwoman .

I feel like this exists because of the upcoming movie (which has Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin in it).
    Yeah the solicits sounds surprisingly… bland? Straightforward? Not really what I’ve come to expect from King, a blatant movie synergy book is not what I thought he would do. Surprised to see him writing another Bat book so soon as well, thought he’d be done after his run and B/C.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Didn't even think of that at first, but that is completely it.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm game, but I want to read a King interview on...why he's telling this story and why now. One he didn't get to? One that just occurred to him while doing Batman/Catwoman? Movie tie-in?

Just unusual, and unusual timing.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-15-2021 at 09:29 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Riddler! Penguin! Catwoman! Tom King!

OH, **** YEAH!

That's definitely something to replace The Imposter when it ends.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Yawn.

Nothing really interesting from the start and by Tom King ? Hard pass.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Hmm. I dunno about this one. But Marquez art is a big plus. Just hope he puts in Steph.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah the solicits sounds surprisingly… bland? Straightforward? Not really what I’ve come to expect from King, a blatant movie synergy book is not what I thought he would do. Surprised to see him writing another Bat book so soon as well, thought he’d be done after his run and B/C.
    Maybe King is trying to prove he can do more conventional comics.

Or maybe it'll turn into a trainwreck .
    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Hmm. I dunno about this one. But Marquez art is a big plus. Just hope he puts in Steph.
    The art will definitely be a high point.

Mighty Member

From his twitter post, this looks like Tom King just wanting to write a big, uncomplicated, comic book story. I can dig that.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    From his twitter post, this looks like Tom King just wanting to write a big, uncomplicated, comic book story. I can dig that.
    Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm now fully sold, King said:
    I wrote Batman for 5 years exploring the emotional depth of this most interesting man.

Killing Time has nothing to do with any of that. This is a badass, heist, action epic. Mean folk on the run, Batman close behind.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-15-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Tom King trying to write a normal Superhero comic should be interesting.

Does that mean Batman has a chance against these villains ?

Tom King trying to write a normal Superhero comic should be interesting.
    It's fascinating, because at point during his run, in interviews, King suggested he couldn't take himself/his inner turmoil out of his Batman stories:
    “Someone wrote me on Twitter yelling at me. ‘I read your comics and all I see is your therapy sessions!’” King says. “I’m like, this is the greatest compliment. The whole point of writing, the point of art, of creating anything, is to reach inside of yourself and connect with an audience. Create an empathy machine that makes people relate to each other. If I don’t do that, it’s not going to be good.”

King would totally not treat Batman as his “therapy sessions” if it were up to him. “Dude, if I can write the most brilliant comic and not involve myself, and sell a ton and put my kids through college, I would. I don’t know how to do that. The only way I know how to write is to bleed into the page.
    https://www.inverse.com/article/6008...interview-nycc

King: I think the best comics all come from a personal place, it’s the old cliche, they sort of bleed into the page, y’know? It’s that the colors and the words are formed from who you are.
    https://hopeburnsbright.wordpress.co...with-tom-king/
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-15-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's fascinating, because at point during his run, in an interview, King suggested he couldn't take himself/his inner turmoil out of his Batman stories:

https://www.inverse.com/article/6008...interview-nycc

https://hopeburnsbright.wordpress.co...with-tom-king/
    I think this has worked both for and against King on his books.

I think this has worked both for and against King on his books.
    I think that's fair. And maybe this story won't be King betraying his credo of "bleeding into the page." Maybe he's just in a different place now than during his run. At that time he had some post-CIA PTSD/mental breakdown and family deaths and etc.

Maybe his "bleeding" will still be present, but just in a very different way or tone. We've already seen some of that (less dark bleeding) with Catwoman, King said something like Catwoman's story, many Bruce/Selina moments, somewhat represents how happy he is in his marriage.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-15-2021 at 12:27 PM.