Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Dope, thanks for making the new thread.

I'm glad Jace is getting an antagonist and I'm really looking forward to how he's introduced.
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I'm sure he'll get more. He's already got Eabha O'Roark and potentially Arkadine. I don't really see him as a replacement considering he was Batman even before he thought Bruce was dead. I suppose they could use that as a parallel, though.
    He still considered himself a replacement of a sorts though. A Batman for the people as opposed to Bruce’s “corporate drone”. Feel like leaning into that for his fight with the Peacemakers could give his strikes against the Magistrate remnants some thematic weight
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He still considered himself a replacement of a sorts though. A Batman for the people as opposed to Bruce’s “corporate drone”. Feel like leaning into that for his fight with the Peacemakers could give his strikes against the Magistrate remnants some thematic weight
    I don't think he considered himself a replacement, he explicitly stated he was appropriating the mantle. Now that I think about it, I wonder what he would've done if he encountered Bruce. I guess he could've.

I think the thematic weight of the Peacekeeper fight will be focused around his relationship with his father, but that's also a possible theme.
    Last edited by Superboy-Prime; 09-25-2021 at 07:10 AM.

I don't think he considered himself a replacement, he explicitly stated he was appropriating the mantle. Now that I think about it, I wonder what he would've done if he encountered Bruce. I guess he could've.

I think the thematic weight of the Peacekeeper fight will be focused around his relationship with his father, but that's also a possible theme.
    Hm I’d prefer it not revolve around daddy issues, that’s too similar both to Bruce and to other Batfamily members. Keeping it focused on the contrast between Jace and the Magistrate in terms of what a post-Bruce Batman protector needs to be is what I’d be more interested in.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Hm I’d prefer it not revolve around daddy issues, that’s too similar both to Bruce and to other Batfamily members.
    Well, keeping it focused on Batman, Bruce's dad is dead. Is exploring a Batman's relationship with his biological father something that's been done much?

Well, keeping it focused on Batman, Bruce's dad is dead. Is exploring a Batman's relationship with his biological father something that's been done much?
    Yes, done very recently in Tom King’s Batman run no less.

Yes, done very recently in Tom King’s Batman run no less.
    Bruce concludes that Flashpoint Batman isn't his father in Tom King's run. That's basically a completely different character.

Bruce concludes that Flashpoint Batman isn't his father in Tom King's run. That's basically a completely different character.
    You’re splitting hairs. That’s obvious cope on Bruce’s part. Point is that Batman struggling with biological daddy issues is something we’ve seen relatively recent. It’s just too cliche for what I’d be interested in seeing with Jace. Since Jace wants to be a “people’s Batman” I’d much rather his struggles come from trying to actually deliver on what people demand from him when there’s a dozen other vigilantes running around Gotham as well as another Batman. How does he meet their needs in a better way than the others have? That’s the kind of conflict I’d rather see explored with him over angst about Lucious. One refreshing thing is that so far Jace is utterly unconcerned with how his father feels about his choices, he’s going to do what he wants and to hell with his dad.

You’re splitting hairs. That’s obvious cope on Bruce’s part. Point is that Batman struggling with biological daddy issues is something we’ve seen relatively recent. It’s just too cliche for what I’d be interested in seeing with Jace. Since Jace wants to be a “people’s Batman” I’d much rather his struggles come from trying to actually deliver on what people demand from him when there’s a dozen other vigilantes running around Gotham as well as another Batman. How does he meet their needs in a better way than the others have? That’s the kind of conflict I’d rather see explored with him over angst about Lucious. One refreshing thing is that so far Jace is utterly unconcerned with how his father feels about his choices, he’s going to do what he wants and to hell with his dad.
    Splitting hairs? So you don't see the difference between Jace having to resolve his relationship with his actual father versus Bruce having to fight off an alternate evil version of his father who became Batman in a timeline in which he died and his mother became the Joker?

I agree with the rest, but the entire reason he chose to become Batman is explicitly stated by Vol to be part of his "daddy issues."

Fantastic Member

Just got around to reading I am Batman #1 and I was pleasantly surprised at what Jace want to become, a Batman that isn't just some boogieman thugs tell each other to see who chickens out first to a hero that will be there for everyone. Loving the art and the new Bat suit as well.

Ridley will be at Fandome. Wonder if his presence there is Jace related?

Ridley will be at Fandome. Wonder if his presence there is Jace related?
    Other History of the DC Universe movie confirmed!

Other History of the DC Universe movie confirmed!
    Pretty sure you’re joking but done right that could be an awesome animated movie
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Pretty sure you’re joking but done right that could be an awesome animated movie
    Have no idea how you’d even adapt that, the whole thing is internal monologues in prose lol. Certainly can’t see the animation department doing a good job as it currently is. Feels a little too early for Jace to be getting adaption in anything though, unless maybe it’s the CW side?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Have no idea how you’d even adapt that, the whole thing is internal monologues in prose lol. Certainly can’t see the animation department doing a good job as it currently is. Feels a little too early for Jace to be getting adaption in anything though, unless maybe it’s the CW side?
    CW: There's no better way to kill my interest. I hope someone sets fire to their talentless, soap opera factory.