Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't know if he did this while running Marvel, but Timely, under Martin Goodman, would put the work for hire clause on the back of the check as part of the endorsement. IOW, you couldn't cash your check, unless you also signed away the rights.

If you spoke up, you weren't given any more work.

I didn't know the deadline had been extended to 75 years. I wish Wendy Everett had tried to get the rights back for Namor. Given that Bill Everett didn't create the character for Timely / Marvel, but for a previous book / package, she might have actually stood a chance of winning.
    That Goodman story is actually true and yeah the abusive contracts used in comics would never fly in any other workplace.

Sbout the Everetts, there might be other ways of seeking redress.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That Goodman story is actually true and yeah the abusive contracts used in comics would never fly in any other workplace.

Sbout the Everetts, there might be other ways of seeking redress.
    I don't know if the Everetts are interested. I'm not sure his son is still alive. His daughter Wendy was around ten years or so ago.

It didn't take long for the other shoe to drop.

Disney / Marvel is sueing everyone.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...on-1235020110/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I don't know if the Everetts are interested. I'm not sure his son is still alive. His daughter Wendy was around ten years or so ago.

It didn't take long for the other shoe to drop.

Disney / Marvel is sueing everyone.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...on-1235020110/
    Seems many others are filing notices too: Larry Leiber, Gene Colan’s estate. This isn’t just Ditko’s family.

Guessing this will most likely end up like the Kirby lawsuit. There'll be a settlement of some kind paid out to the heirs of the creators named in the lawsuits, maybe a more prominent "created by" credit at the end of the movies and TV shows, and that'll be the end of it.

Also wow. The social media reactions to this sure are something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Guessing this will most likely end up like the Kirby lawsuit. There'll be a settlement of some kind paid out to the heirs of the creators named in the lawsuits, maybe a more prominent "created by" credit at the end of the movies and TV shows, and that'll be the end of it.

Also wow. The social media reactions to this sure are something.
    In what sense? Is it trending? The latter would be good.

In what sense? Is it trending? The latter would be good.
    The the response is overwhelmingly in favor of Disney on social media. Sad but not surprising.

BANNED

The the response is overwhelmingly in favor of Disney on social media. Sad but not surprising.
    Fans have been corrupted what else can one say.

Astonishing Member

There's no surprise, fans in their majority don't give a damn about this whole story, the only thing they want is to watch their movies, play their games and read their comics. They don't care what's going on behind it. It's sad, yeah, but that's just the world we live in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    There's no surprise, fans in their majority don't give a damn about this whole story, the only thing they want is to watch their movies, play their games and read their comics. They don't care what's going on behind it. It's sad, yeah, but that's just the world we live in.
    Well the justice system isn’t going to be swayed by “fans” either way. For good and for bad.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I can see how the Ditko case is considered as a money grab by people who had literally nothing to do with the creation of any of these characters. I don't view them any more sympathetically or as more deserving of the rights than I view Disney.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I can see how the Ditko case is considered as a money grab by people who had literally nothing to do with the creation of any of these characters. I don't view them any more sympathetically or as more deserving of the rights than I view Disney.
    Well I guess you don’t believe in conpensating family of people who suffered historical injustices because after all the bad stuff wasn’t done to them personally, right?

Sheesh

Maybe I'm wrong, but part of me feels like Ditko would not have wanted this, given his objectivist beliefs, "A is A," etc. From what little I understand of Rand and objectivism, parties are presumed to enter into a contract via free will and without coercion. A contract is void only if one party was "forced" to enter into same. As such, there could be an implication that Ditko entered into his contracts with Marvel under duress and I'm not sure he'd want that image put forth in the public record.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but part of me feels like Ditko would not have wanted this, given his objectivist beliefs, "A is A," etc. From what little I understand of Rand and objectivism, parties are presumed to enter into a contract via free will and without coercion. A contract is void only if one party was "forced" to enter into same. As such, there could be an implication that Ditko entered into his contracts with Marvel under duress and I'm not sure he'd want that image put forth in the public record.
    Nobody knew Ditko better than his family. Either case it’s moot.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Well I guess you don’t believe in conpensating family of people who suffered historical injustices because after all the bad stuff wasn’t done to them personally, right?

Sheesh
    Please. It's insulting to real historical injustices to act like a guy willingly doing his job, getting paid, and living freely is some crime. These are not even direct descendants of Ditko.

This is two money-driven entities and their IP lawyers each trying to grab as much cash as they can. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

No chance. NO Chance!

This is why Disney keeps all those lawyers on retention.

I don’t know how strong their case is, but let’s just assume they have a very strong case. That there is a strong precedent for this.

Disney’s going to win regardless. They’ll either give them the carrot or the stick.

Ain’t no way this justice system or this Supreme Court sides against Disney, if it even gets that far.
    The J-man