Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member

The first issue of this did zero for me, and I'm a huge fan of secondary national/regional teams like Alpha Flight, Agents of Atlas or the Union, so I was quite disappointed.

But damn, this second issue was much more my cup of tea. I have never, ever, cared in the slightest for Perun or Chernabog, and yet they both got some characterization here, and I'm cautiously intrigued. (Ursa Major and Darkstar were my previous favorites.) Pretty much everyone got some characterization, which is nice, since these guys are much less fleshed out or 'well-known' as western heroes like the Avengers or Fantastic Four.

After a good start the conclusion to this series was a bit of a letdown for me. I was also waiting for some teases from the first issue to get wrapped up but there was nothing. Maybe these things were shown in Aaron's Avengers but as I don't read that one I can only guess what happened to Ursa Major.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    After a good start the conclusion to this series was a bit of a letdown for me. I was also waiting for some teases from the first issue to get wrapped up but there was nothing. Maybe these things were shown in Aaron's Avengers but as I don't read that one I can only guess what happened to Ursa Major.
    yeah...kind of a let down at the end. And it started with Yelena telling the story to Natasha but did not end there to sort of book end the story.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I aim to pick up the Winter Guard tpb and have always liked these type of "B-list" national teams.
    Who is the winged character talking about how they aren't as awesome as Falcons wings? Not recognizing her, that is not Yelena right?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

I've not fully read the last issue yet (just skimming), but isn't Bucky depicted very similarly to MCU Bucky in it?
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I aim to pick up the Winter Guard tpb and have always liked these type of "B-list" national teams.
    Who is the winged character talking about how they aren't as awesome as Falcons wings? Not recognizing her, that is not Yelena right?
    It is Yelena.

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    I've not fully read the last issue yet (just skimming), but isn't Bucky depicted very similarly to MCU Bucky in it?
    You mean look-wise? Guess so, but to me he is always drawn like his MCU version. Or rather the other way round, his MCU appearance is modelled closely from his 616 look.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

You mean look-wise? Guess so, but to me he is always drawn like his MCU version. Or rather the other way round, his MCU appearance is modelled closely from his 616 look.
    Yeah, look-wise.

I also noticed that his 616 look has highly influenced his MCU look, but ... okay, I'm a little bit nitpicky sometimes & notice things like, for example, his 616 version has brown eyes, while Sebastian Stan has bluish eyes. In WG, he definitely has blue eyes. Whatever, it's just being nitpicky (it's my problem ), bc eye-color (whether it's blue, brown, or other) isn't the most defining characteristic of Bucky.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 12-04-2021 at 04:39 AM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    It is Yelena.
    Yes...Yelena..basically using the wings instead of a generic jet pack.

I don't remember if I've read issue 1, but I have read issue 4, as well as avengers 150, and I'm curious about where the team will go, moving forward. What happened to Ursa Major, perun, and Chernabog. What was on the discs red guardian stole, and if red widow is a team player, as well as the Russian governments role in all this.

Astonishing Member

Is Vanguard back to being Vanguard? I thought it was stupid to make him yet another Red Guardian. Also was Red Guardian II (Starlight) mentioned or shown?

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Is Vanguard back to being Vanguard? I thought it was stupid to make him yet another Red Guardian. Also was Red Guardian II (Starlight) mentioned or shown?
    Vanguard is Vanguard here. There are a couple of flashbacks but I don't remember Tania being in one of them.

Extraordinary Member

Vanguard is Vanguard here. There are a couple of flashbacks but I don't remember Tania being in one of them.
    He is called Vanguard...but is still in his RG suit.

I’m all for Vanguard going back to his original costume and Red Guardian being someone else.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume