Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Gaastra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,876

    Default Supergirl HBO Max series coming

    The supergirl from the flash movie is getting her own tv show on hbo max.

    No ties to the cw show that just ended.

    https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-hbo-ma...s-sasha-calle/

  2. #2

    Default

    Hopefully her fans dig it.

  3. #3
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The supergirl from the flash movie is getting her own tv show on hbo max.

    No ties to the cw show that just ended.

    https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-hbo-ma...s-sasha-calle/
    I'm not sure if this is good news or not. Optimistically, you could say this shows they have faith in the Flash movie and Sasha Calle's performance in particular. Pessimistically you could say they're getting ahead of themselves and putting the cart before the horse, making huge plans on the assumption it'll do good and rushing into it ala early DCEU's rush to get Avengers money with JL. Realistically though, I think it just means they need more content for their streaming service. Here's hoping either way it's a good show.

  4. #4
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    The sad part is finding out the CW show has been canceled. There were a lot of parts of it I truly liked. But it might be refreshing to have a show that, hopefully, does not follow the CW formula.
    Power with Girl is better.

  5. #5
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    The sad part is finding out the CW show has been canceled. There were a lot of parts of it I truly liked. But it might be refreshing to have a show that, hopefully, does not follow the CW formula.
    While the show had some great episodes and good seasons (this last one sadly isn't good, and the Agent of Liberty stuff from a couple seasons ago was...awful), I don't know I'd say it's sad it's ending. It had a nice long run frankly, and I kind of feel like a lot of CW shows last too long anyways. Interested in seeing new takes on these characters every so often. I'm in the minority on that, seems like most want a actor to define the role for a generation and last ten to twenty years in it ala Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, but I like seeing a different version and kind of straying away from the idea of a "definitive" take.

    And yeah, the CW formula isn't the best.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    10,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm not sure if this is good news or not. Optimistically, you could say this shows they have faith in the Flash movie and Sasha Calle's performance in particular. Pessimistically you could say they're getting ahead of themselves and putting the cart before the horse, making huge plans on the assumption it'll do good and rushing into it ala early DCEU's rush to get Avengers money with JL. Realistically though, I think it just means they need more content for their streaming service. Here's hoping either way it's a good show.
    While it's totally fair to be pessimistic about how WB is doing this (to some extent I also am), I feel it's at least trying to build up other characters instead of just relying on Batman to shoulder the DCEU.

  7. #7
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While the show had some great episodes and good seasons (this last one sadly isn't good, and the Agent of Liberty stuff from a couple seasons ago was...awful), I don't know I'd say it's sad it's ending. It had a nice long run frankly, and I kind of feel like a lot of CW shows last too long anyways. Interested in seeing new takes on these characters every so often. I'm in the minority on that, seems like most want a actor to define the role for a generation and last ten to twenty years in it ala Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, but I like seeing a different version and kind of straying away from the idea of a "definitive" take.

    And yeah, the CW formula isn't the best.
    Agent Liberty was a decent idea but had all the nuance a sledge hammer.

    I remember Roger Ebert pointing out that we got a remake of Spider-Man only five years after the last movie in the previous series. Likewise, we got a Hulk remake only five years later.

    He pointed out that's an indication of how fast things are moving now. I agree that the days are over when one actor defined a character for a generation.
    Power with Girl is better.

  8. #8
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,076

    Default

    Coincidental timing with the end of the TV show.

    I guess I'd be happy for Sasha Calle even if I don't know what to think of her take on Supergirl yet.

  9. #9
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    While it's totally fair to be pessimistic about how WB is doing this (to some extent I also am), I feel it's at least trying to build up other characters instead of just relying on Batman to shoulder the DCEU.
    Oh no, you misunderstood me, I'm not of the pessimistic bent on this but the realistic one - I don't think it's an ill advised rush. I mean, it could be, I don't know. But I'm in the realistic camp - HBO Max needs content, hence this movie, and if we're lucky it could be good. We'll see.

    That said, we got Gotham PD, Peacemaker, Penguin, and Supergirl. Frankly, with Titans and Doom Patrol still going, I think that's enough for HBO Max right now. I'd rather they stagger this out, so I'm hoping we don't get another show announcement until this time next year. Prefer a bit more slow and steady with WB, because when their eyes go too big right away they tend to crash and burn. So hopefully they'll focus on the shows they've announced already and make sure they do good before announcing more this time next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Agent Liberty was a decent idea but had all the nuance a sledge hammer.

    I remember Roger Ebert pointing out that we got a remake of Spider-Man only five years after the last movie in the previous series. Likewise, we got a Hulk remake only five years later.

    He pointed out that's an indication of how fast things are moving now. I agree that the days are over when one actor defined a character for a generation.
    Decent idea, but holy moly that execution was not fun to sit through. I mean, I hate Trump and Trumpism as much as any sane man, but that season was such a drag...

    Yes and no. Sure, Sony rebooted Spider-Man, twice. Sure, MCU rebooted Hulk with Incredible Hulk. But once rebooted into the MCU, it's done. Marvel Studios doesn't reboot once things become a part of the MCU. If we get another Iron Man, it'll be a legacy and not Tony Stark. Captain America isn't rebooted but legacied. Same will happen with Black Panther in the next movie. Tom Holland is our new ride and die Spidey. The MCU changed things, reboots are few and far between and done by other studios. If you don't like the MCU take on a character, well, you're stuck with them. So the reboot is kind of dead for a large swath of the genre. DC is rebooting Batman and Superman sure, but not because they wanted to but because holy heck they messed up the DCEU takes to a degree that was unacceptable for too many. But when they do get it right? We won't get a new version until well after the actor/actress leaves the franchise - and if they continue to follow the MCU hoping to make MCU dough, they'll probably choose legacy over reboot. Some like legacy, but some (like me) aren't crazy about the prospect.

  10. #10
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Coincidental timing with the end of the TV show.
    Is it? I mean, it could be, but my guess would be it was planned timing unless there's evidence to suggest otherwise.

  11. #11
    Pro Mutant Anarchist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,471

    Default

    So I guess we now know why the CW series ended.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,452

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    So I guess we now know why the CW series ended.
    I thought it was because Melissa has wanted out now that she's had her baby?

  13. #13
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Is it? I mean, it could be, but my guess would be it was planned timing unless there's evidence to suggest otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    So I guess we now know why the CW series ended.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I thought it was because Melissa has wanted out now that she's had her baby?
    That's the official reason. I don't know if we'll ever know otherwise, although it's a reasonable reason for wanting to end the show.

    It just coincidentally timed with a new Superman show and a show about a new version of Supergirl.

  14. #14
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    10,469

    Default

    I hope this Supergirl show does better than the CW one. There's nowhere to go but up

  15. #15
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    73,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hope this Supergirl show does better than the CW one. There's nowhere to go but up
    It seems like they're going for a very different take on Supergirl at the very least.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •