Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The hair isn't fair, she was never going to be blonde once they cast the actress that they chose. And of course the costume looks like Cavill, Supergirl's costume always look a lot like Superman's, they're going to do more textured costumes in films than shows like the CW, and for some reason they believe that the skirt is somehow problematic. So, textured Superman looking costume without a skirt, hard not to look like Cavill.
    It's not just the lack of blonde hair (which I don't think was completely off the table), going with a short hair lends itself to a more "Superman" look, and Supergirl's costume while inspired by Superman generally looks distinct because of the skirt or dress, and I don't think they didn't include the skirt because a certain section of people feel it's problematic (from the same studio that gave Wonder Woman and Mary Marvel a skirt).

And on-top of that she's getting the Flashpoint Superman backstory with an actual Superman nowhere to be seen, unless you believe the Cavill rumors.

Ultimate Member

The things we dislike are always outdated, the things we like never are. After 13 solid years of one cinematic universe dominating the genre, a second cinematic universe flailing behind in an impossible attempt at catching up and becoming relevant, a third failed cinematic universe but with monsters, and a fourth cinematic universe of mixed success but with giant monsters, I do hope you are willing to understand that this is subjective not objective and some of us can feel cinematic universe burn out and that after a decade of it that the concept of a shared universe can feel very outdated to me. I don't want everything superhero to be in a cinematic universe anymore, I find having some things existing outside of that model new again and refreshing.
    All I'm saying it it's not really a new thing, and I don't get how it's 'refreshing'. To me it's just a return to form because DC quits to easily. DC not making their cinematic universe successful doesn't preclude it happening later down the road. I just don't get the point of giving up now. Cinematic universe fail because corporations don't have any idea what they're doing. But that also happens to solo franchises too. That's why I called it outdated. Because DC's attitude seems to be 'we failed, so let's go back to what we used to do,' even though that wasn't always successful either (like Superman Returns).

And how is the MonsterVerse failing (I assume you're referring to that)? I mean, whether either of us likes it or not, I wouldn't call it a failure.

You are free to not get it, to hate movies existing outside of the universe, to deeply wish everything DC was in the same shared universe like how Marvel does it. But I don't have to agree with what you want to see, and your opinion isn't objective fact on what is or isn't a refreshing change of pace for other people.
    I don't recall saying it was. Disagreeing with you isn't saying 'you can't have an opinion.' Idk why many of your comments act like that. I'm not saying you're blocking me from having my opinion just because you disagree with me, am I?

I don't know either. They should've just called it what it was Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey. But they didn't, for whatever reason.
    I guess they were trying to leverage Harley Quinn's supposed popularity to boost the others' popularity. Idk if it worked but at least Black Canary is getting something.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not just the lack of blonde hair (which I don't think was completely off the table), going with a short hair lends itself to a more "Superman" look, and Supergirl's costume while inspired by Superman generally looks distinct because of the skirt or dress, and I don't think they didn't include the skirt because a certain section of people feel it's problematic (from the same studio that gave Wonder Woman and Mary Marvel a skirt).

And on-top of that she's getting the Flashpoint Superman backstory with an actual Superman nowhere to be seen, unless you believe the Cavill rumors.
    That's a bit of a reach IMO. And Idk where you're getting this idea of skirts being hated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    That's a bit of a reach IMO. And Idk where you're getting this idea of skirts being hated.
    I dunno, from a visual perspective it seems pretty clear to me at least in comparison to how you would expect them to adapt Supergirl.

I never said skirts were hated, just certain people not wanting Supergirl to wear one (for some reason).

Ultimate Member

I dunno, from a visual perspective it seems pretty clear to me at least in comparison to how you would expect them to adapt Supergirl.

I never said skirts were hated, just certain people not wanting Supergirl to wear one (for some reason).
    Because people don't like them, I guess. Same as people who do. Some might not care for overly gendered clothing when superhero costumes are often overly gendered

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Because people don't like them, I guess. Same as people who do. Some might not care for overly gendered clothing when superhero costumes are often overly gendered
    Well, I don't think a skirt is all that egregious personally. Like the main reason they changed it up eventually on the show was because poor Melissa Benoist had to film in Vancouver.

I still don't get what you're talking about - it's still very clearly a feminine haircut (and yes, blonde was off the table once the casting news hit). Dark hair and a shorter cut doesn't scream "It's gender bent Clark!" to me personally. And as for the skirt, I don't know if it's problematic, but it is something - the CW TV show made a BIG deal about her ditching the skirt and "finally" wearing pants like it was some feminist win. Plus like you said Wonder Woman and Mary Marvel already are wearing skirts - what does it say when all your major female heroes are wearing skirts?

I'll give you the Flashpoint backstory, but the rest feels like a coincidence to me, and not some active effort to make her more like Clark.

All I'm saying it it's not really a new thing, and I don't get how it's 'refreshing'.
    Really? I just explained how it's super refreshing to me! It's a subjective opinion because there is no such thing as an objective rule on what's refreshing to all people. Again, we've been dominated by cinematic universes for over 13 years now. Just because it's not new or original but a return to the past doesn't mean it's not refreshing. Refreshing doesn't mean "new" it just means "a welcome change of pace" and I welcome it and it is a change of pace to what we've mainly gotten in abundance for a decade, that qualifies it to be subjectively refreshing for me. Maybe not for you, but again that's my point, it doesn't have to be refreshing to you, because refreshing is subjective by nature.

All that matters here is that it is a change, even if it is a throwback one from the past, and some people like myself are relieved for it. I get that you prefer and want everything they do to fit into a MCU like shared cinematic universe, but can you please acknowledge that I at least don't want everything to fit together? And that that's alright, that there's no objective right or wrong here but just subjective preferences and differences on what we'd like to see? I feel like you're trying to argue that it should or must be all part of a cinematic universe, and that's just not an argument that I want to get into.

To me it's just a return to form because DC quits to easily.
    Except that DC hasn't quit, most of their content going forward is still part of their cinematic universe. The Batman and spin-offs, Superman reboot, and streaming and cable shows like Titans, Doom Patrol, Stargirl, Superman & Lois, etc does not somehow magically change the fact that the DCEU still exists and most of their films and more of their shows going forward exist in it. Having Elseworlds isn't quitting, the shared cinematic universe you are so strongly for is there at the forefront of all their plans.

DC not making their cinematic universe successful doesn't preclude it happening later down the road.
    How is it not successful? A majority of their films have been, to one degree or another, financially profitable, minus JL and maybe WW84. A majority of their films post-JL have been critically successful, again except WW84. That's a good track record. Not Marvel MCU good, but the MCU is frankly an anomaly in the cinematic landscape and it's unfair to hold it up to others as the benchmark for success that they must achieve - if the MCU is the bar for success and everything below it is considered a failure, then the MCU is the only success in history. That's not true. And I don't know what you mean by "doesn't preclude it happening later down the road." What do you think or want them to change later on down the road that they're not doing now?

I just don't get the point of giving up now. Cinematic universe fail because corporations don't have any idea what they're doing. But that also happens to solo franchises too. That's why I called it outdated. Because DC's attitude seems to be 'we failed, so let's go back to what we used to do,' even though that wasn't always successful either (like Superman Returns).
    But they're not giving up now. I don't know why you think they are? What is it that leads you to think they're giving up? Because a few very select properties aren't bundled up in their shared universe means they've given up on a shared universe, despite the bulk of films and shows going forward is still set in that universe?

And how is the MonsterVerse failing (I assume you're referring to that)? I mean, whether either of us likes it or not, I wouldn't call it a failure.
    You assume wrong - not the MonsterVerse, Universal's Dark Universe that failed with The Mummy. Dark Universe is the one I said failed, MonsterVerse I said is a mixed success (KotM didn't do well at the BO and the critical reviews of the franchise varies one each film, so it's not a uniform success like the MCU). Dark Universe was the only one that failed, but holy crap did it ever fail.

I don't recall saying it was. Disagreeing with you isn't saying 'you can't have an opinion.' Idk why many of your comments act like that. I'm not saying you're blocking me from having my opinion just because you disagree with me, am I?
    Except that you kind of are - I keep using things like "in my opinion" "subjective" "preference" etc on "what I like to see" expecting you'll go "fair enough" or "to each their own" or something, but you keep debating and arguing as if there's something here to win. I know you disagree, I know what your preferences are for here, yet when you keep arguing that "it can't be refreshing" as if it is an objective fact and me saying that it's refreshing "for me" it very much does feel like I can't have an opinion. It'd be one thing if you said "while I don't find it refreshing, but I guess it is for you" but that's not how it's coming across - the way you've argued it and keep doing so is as if it can't be subjective. I know it's not refreshing change of pace for you, but it is for me - I like having a few things that exist outside of the DCEU, you don't - so why are you still arguing?

I guess they were trying to leverage Harley Quinn's supposed popularity to boost the others' popularity. Idk if it worked but at least Black Canary is getting something.
    Actually they weren't - it had nothing to do with trying to boost the others, they simply knew from the get go that they were doing a Harley Quinn movie with Harley as the star, Robbie expressed she didn't want it to be a complete solo, so they wrote two difference scripts with two different teams to act as her supporting cast (Gotham City Sirens and Birds of Prey), and Robbie picked the script she liked best (Birds of Prey). The team was inconsequential, they just needed a "lesser cast of characters" to act as a supporting team for Harley because of Robbie's demands but who also couldn't upstage her. It literally could've been anyone - they could've made it Secret Six or Doom Patrol for all it mattered, it just happened to be Birds of Prey. Which is upsetting for BOP fans, but considering the point was to always have the team be support to the real star, there were always going to be upset fans no matter which team they chose.

Well, I don't think a skirt is all that egregious personally. Like the main reason they changed it up eventually on the show was because poor Melissa Benoist had to film in Vancouver.
    I don't get that - if it was a cold thing, didn't...well, wasn't she technically always wearing pants under the skirt? So weren't her legs less covered once they removed the skirt than before? Or were the new pants thicker than the previous costume? Because they didn't particularly look it.

I still don't get what you're talking about - it's still very clearly a feminine haircut (and yes, blonde was off the table once the casting news hit). Dark hair and a shorter cut doesn't scream "It's gender bent Clark!" to me personally. And as for the skirt, I don't know if it's problematic, but it is something - the CW TV show made a BIG deal about her ditching the skirt and "finally" wearing pants like it was some feminist win. Plus like you said Wonder Woman and Mary Marvel already are wearing skirts - what does it say when all your major female heroes are wearing skirts?

I'll give you the Flashpoint backstory, but the rest feels like a coincidence to me, and not some active effort to make her more like Clark.
    I'm just getting the sense that they're trying to make her fill the niche of a Superman in terms of background and visuals, and I don't think the cut is all that feminine compared to, say, her hair when she was casted. It seems like they're veering as far from looking like the traditional Supergirl as possible.

Well, Darla wears pants. None of the BoP wore a skirt as their "main costume." Mera had a full green onesie.
    I don't get that - if it was a cold thing, didn't...well, wasn't she technically always wearing pants under the skirt? So weren't her legs less covered once they removed the skirt than before? Or were the new pants thicker than the previous costume? Because they didn't particularly look it.
    Not really. It was more like high boots and tights.

I always felt like they could've used the blue dress look with the boots and it would have covered more.

Ultimate Member

What does feminine even mean? 'Short hair' and 'pants' don't equal 'male'

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Can't be any worse than the CW Version.

Are we suppose to assume that Kara doing nothing and letting the plane crash was the courageous thing to do?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Can't be any worse than the CW Version.
    Should be better by default.

What does feminine even mean? 'Short hair' and 'pants' don't equal 'male'
    I guess it depends on how it's conveyed, but it's a pretty big contrast from the normal Supergirl look.
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    Should be better by default.
    Hey, Melissa Benoist and the cast are fantastic.

Yeah, as far as the casting goes, I think it weill be hard to beat the CW.