Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Robin & Batman by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen

The Eisner-winning superstar team of writer Jeff Lemire (SWEET TOOTH) and artist Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN) are reuniting after their incredible run on DESCENDER and ASCENDER for ROBIN & BATMAN, a three-issue miniseries exploring the beginning of Dick Grayson’s crime-fighting career.

The world’s first sidekick is just starting out at the side of Batman, struggling to find his own path from personal tragedy to being a Super Hero. It’s an intimate look at the first growing-pains of one of the legends of Gotham City in this gorgeous, 40-page prestige format title.
    Last edited by Hypo; 08-11-2021 at 11:28 AM.

Definitely will check this out

BANNED

Will probably read this.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I haven't read much Lemire, so this will really have to be great to keep me interested. Because I'm not too interested in any reimagining (I'm not saying this will be one for sure, but it looks like it is somewhat) of "the beginning of Dick Grayson’s crime-fighting career." I've read and enjoyed too many Year One/Two/Three Batman tales. How many times does this ground have to be tread when you already have flashbacks and black & white tales and other books (like the anniversary specials) also mining this period?
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-11-2021 at 12:15 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Will def check this out. That art is on point.

I like Lemire, although I'm kind of curious how this is going to stand out from Robin: Year One (besides Dick wearing pants).

Incredible Member

This looks great. Definitely going to get this.

I might check this out. I love Dustin Nguyen, and I've heard good things about Descender.

I don't like the erasure of the trunks and I thought we moved passed that, because I really enjoyed seeing Marcus To fully embrace and depict Jason in them over in UL. The bottom half of Dick looks like Damian's old costume, especially those boots. Tbh, they look like snowpants and this could be a story set in the winter time, but there is literally no indication of that, so I guess we're back to being embarrassed about Robin instead of embracing Robin.

As for the story, I'm guessing it'll be a simple one-and-done story. There's a lot to mine from a young character's growing pains in a new role. Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet and Robin: Year One are two stories very much in the same vein, to the point that they go very well together, but are still very much individual, singular instances in the ephemeral era that is Dick's early days. This will probably just be a third installment of that.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I might check this out. I love Dustin Nguyen, and I've heard good things about Descender.

I don't like the erasure of the trunks and I thought we moved passed that, because I really enjoyed seeing Marcus To fully embrace and depict Jason in them over in UL. The bottom half of Dick looks like Damian's old costume, especially those boots. Tbh, they look like snowpants and this could be a story set in the winter time, but there is literally no indication of that, so I guess we're back to being embarrassed about Robin instead of embracing Robin.

As for the story, I'm guessing it'll be a simple one-and-done story. There's a lot to mine from a young character's growing pains in a new role. Batman Chronicles: The Gauntlet and Robin: Year One are two stories very much in the same vein, to the point that they go very well together, but are still very much individual, singular instances in the ephemeral era that is Dick's early days. This will probably just be a third installment of that.
    Yeah I noticed that lower part of the Uniform looks like Damian's.

not surprised. Damian's costume is the one you want if you want to attract the teen reader/make Robin look cool [for todays fashion]

Ain't no teen messing with bare legs or tights.

Looks good.
    Been looking forward to this books reveal, and art by Nguyen is a major plus for me. Though, three issues was a little shorter than what I was hoping for.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Something to look forward to.

Nguyen? Count me in. And Lemire seems like an interesting choice. I'll definitely check it out.

It seems like a Black Label book without the label, so I don't mind Dick having pants. The description of Dick handling the situation on his own gives me hope for this title.

Nice to see in modern times they realized the shorts were out of pocket!
    Last edited by Journey; 08-11-2021 at 01:35 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Nice to see in modern times they realized the shorts were ot of pocket!
    Yes, it looks like the shorts have been retcon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Nice to see in modern times they realized the shorts were out of pocket!
    Not for Jason.