Extraordinary Member

Default Icon and Rocket Season One #3 Preview

Icon and Rocket Season One #3 Preview
    Writer: Reginald Hudlin and Leon Chills
    Artist: Doug Braithwaite

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I'm not gonna lie, as a Boondocks kid, I was not expecting to like a Reginald Hudlin project like that. however this book has been surprisingly kinda really good. I wonder how much is Chills and how much is Hudlin.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

this issue was kind of brave. the consequences of what happens when the drug trade stops is rarely shown. And it's sad and frustrating to know that in real life Countries including the United States are making a profit from illegal drugs. Today's technology like gene editing and gmo can take the tooth out of illegal drugs but the powers that be apparently are not willing. Both illegal drugs and sugar can affect the signaling in the brain. Sugar blocks signals in the brain which can lead to brain fog and over time chronic inflammation that causes alzheimers. hard illegal drugs can also affect the signaling in the brain. But what makes it so bad in my opinion is that hard illegal drugs diminishes the function of a part of the brain which causes people to make poor decisions like using the drugs over and over again because you don't know enough to stop. Today we have the technology to gmo illegal drugs to stop how they affect the brain. The Human body is like a computer or a cyborg and food is used to program it. Responsible gene editing and gmo can reprogram food and illegal drugs. It's shocking how similar they are.
    Last edited by abetterday; 09-29-2021 at 12:02 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Enjoyed the crap out of this issue - Icon and Rocket continues to be the strongest out of all the new Milestone books in my opinion.

I've mentioned before how I've never read much of the original Milestone books so am curious what long time readers thing of this reboot, how does it compare to previous Icon books?

Astonishing Member

If this had been the old Milestone comics, Rocket would've been right about Icon's 'slave mentality'.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Enjoyed the crap out of this issue - Icon and Rocket continues to be the strongest out of all the new Milestone books in my opinion.

I've mentioned before how I've never read much of the original Milestone books so am curious what long time readers thing of this reboot, how does it compare to previous Icon books?
    I like it better than the old one, since Icon actually did something about slavery and isn't out of touch.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

While i won't provide a lengthy reply i will say that as someone that owns the original ICON and Rocket series and has wanted a return of the ICON character since that original run i'm pleased with the direction of the new series after having finished issue #3.

I think the Icon and Rocket series is the strongest of the Milestone titles thus far as well.

Putting aside an easy criticism - the low hanging fruit that is the time period in which the original series was produced and how it might be viewed as dated - what i find appealing is that Icon is displaying the shrewd and strategic part of his personality as opposed to just "raw intelligence" (i.e. engineering, mathematics, etc.). I think the highlighting of that aspect of his personality is specifically due to the amount of time that has passed since the original series was written. The writer himself has become a middle aged man with increased experience and perspective. The audience matured along with the creative team.

Since it's only up to issue 3 i won't focus too much on the appearance of Icon himself. However i .....liked how the original Icon was drawn in the "90's art style". He exuded power and conveyed the type of physical threat that i think heroes in the superheroes genre *need* to convey. The original Icon had the look of a square jawed aesthetic bodybuilder / pro athlete with the flare of Batman in action sequences. The way the new Icon is drawn is .... i wouldn't go so far as to call it "svelte" but the word did cross my mind. I'd like to see more *power* in Icons physical presentation. There is an image of his face at the diner while speaking with Rocket that was very good. A mature yet chiseled face and jawline was presented so my minor issue is with his "super hero physique". There's plenty of time to address that minor critique.

This image of Icon has POWER. It's like ...a more handsome Jim Brown in his prime. This Icon is a threat.

ofcvarslfcl71.jpg
    Last edited by Customizer; 10-01-2021 at 12:28 AM.
    Don't complain. Create.

Extraordinary Member

I am loving this book

Mighty Member

I am also about to read #3 and will share my thoughts.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I have yet to get my copy, but I am so pleased with how others are responding. I'm another with a full first series set, who's been waiting (decades?) for this 'revival,' and I'm glad it seems to be going so well.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

This book has been great so far. Easily my favorite of the new Milestone comics.

I really wish JJ Abrams and Ta-Nehisi Coates would scrap the black Superman idea and just do an Icon and Rocket flick. They're basically stealing the concept of Icon and using it for their period piece Superman.

issue 3 spoilers:

It's crazy that Kal El actually existed in the Milestone universe. Unfortunately things didn't work out for the poor little guy.

The only small nitpick that I have so far is that this version of Icon apparently has Heat Vision.

That's Superman's thing.

Icon's thing is that he can unleash positron energy from his hands, not his eyes.

Why would Hudlin change that?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    The only small nitpick that I have so far is that this version of Icon apparently has Heat Vision.

That's Superman's thing.

Icon's thing is that he can unleash positron energy from his hands, not his eyes.

Why would Hudlin change that?
    Oooooh. I'm going to have to read the issue again. I can think of an explanation but that's quite the observation none the less.
    Don't complain. Create.