Extraordinary Member

Default Justice League #68 Preview

Justice League #68 Preview
    Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
    Artist: Scott Godlewski
    Backup Writer: Ram V
    Backup Artist: Sumit Kumar

Incredible Member

The Jesus analogy. Superman is a modern day Klaatu.

I never would believe the best character Bendis can write distinctly is Superman, but here we are. Like, that Hippolyta line is pretty rough. And she's not even queen anymore.

Hawkgirl is a "Hawksister?" I mean...I guess?

People on Tamaran probably have more faith in Superman than they do their royal family.

I tried out thd Bendis League. The best I can say is, at least there are no cosmic doorknobs. But all the "characters " sound generic somehow. The one interesting thing beyond the art (love how Naomi is drawn) is the hinting that Hippolyte and Teth Adam once had dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I tried out thd Bendis League. The best I can say is, at least there are no cosmic doorknobs. But all the "characters " sound generic somehow. The one interesting thing beyond the art (love how Naomi is drawn) is the hinting that Hippolyte and Teth Adam once had dealings.
    Wasn't that a thing in Endless Winter?

Also, what happened to Marquez?

This was really bad. The Justice League story was only in about 1/3 of the book and the rest was taken up by Bendis’ side projects. When the League was in the comic they just stood around and bantered. I just skimmed through the last couple of pages.

Why is Leo Lane a thing? Like, why?

Last issue had me thinking there was gonna be a big battle and I was here for it...now I'm bored as hell with this book.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Astonishing Member

Bendis doesn't do big battles anyways.

The rest of DC’s current line has been good-to-great. This flagship title has been utter ****. (This is the first time I’ve used a curse word on these boards and the first time it’s been so warranted.)

Incredible Member

Bendis, in my opinion, writes character conversations in the moment and expands on them. That's his strength. I would love to see how he writes Cyborg for an extended amount of panel time. But sometimes it's kind of not suitable for Superhero action comics. And for certain fans that are expecting a traditional comic format/storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by abetterday View Post
    Bendis, in my opinion, writes character conversations in the moment and expands on them. That's his strength. I would love to see how he writes Cyborg for an extended amount of panel time. But sometimes it's kind of not suitable for Superhero action comics. And for certain fans that are expecting a traditional comic format/storytelling.
    I think Ultimate Spider-Man and Daredevil played to a strength in a way a lot of his current titles don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This was really bad. The Justice League story was only in about 1/3 of the book and the rest was taken up by Bendis’ side projects. When the League was in the comic they just stood around and bantered. I just skimmed through the last couple of pages.
    Sounds like back in the day when he was writing New Avengers and it took several issues to get a wounded Mockingbird to a hospital because Bendis was wasting so much time on an "Avengers 1959" story as well in those same issues.

Yeah, the issue was pretty bad.
    It feels like Bendis doesn't actually follow through on the elements he sets up. The issue starts with the potential of a clash between the League and the United, but then it doesn't happen.
    Then they spend pages talking about how their new HQ should be, only to have it rebuilt exactly as it was.
    Everything seemed so pointless. I truly don't get what Bendis is trying to do with this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Yeah, the issue was pretty bad.
    It feels like Bendis doesn't actually follow through on the elements he sets up. The issue starts with the potential of a clash between the League and the United, but then it doesn't happen.
    Then they spend pages talking about how their new HQ should be, only to have it rebuilt exactly as it was.
    Everything seemed so pointless. I truly don't get what Bendis is trying to do with this book.
    Making as much money as possible off of as little work as possible?