Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Kind of funny that the pre-Disney post-ROTJ EU was frequently criticized for having a superweapon in almost every major storyline (although Del Rey backed off a bit on this, some of the Vong weapons were pretty powerful as well) but when Disney did their own take, they pretty much did exactly the same thing.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Not a bad idea, but honestly, I think the idea of outright obliterating planets seems like a massive waste of potential resources.
    Part of the reasoning for the DS was to keep systems in check/from rebelling . The Threat of force/fear to ensure "peace". They didn't necessarily plan to use the main weapon constantly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well ... This one obliterated stars and whole systems!

Great for terrorists ... Bad for empire builders.

I guess I was hoping the First Order was going to be a cultist terrorist group, not Empire 2.0.
    They had to have some kind of long term plan, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Part of the reasoning for the DS was to keep systems in check/from rebelling . The Threat of force/fear to ensure "peace". They didn't necessarily plan to use the main weapon constantly.
    That's true, but the sequels overdid it

Off the top of my head the EU had Eclipses, World Devastators, Sun Crusher, the Katana Fleet, Darksaber, the Galaxy Gun, Centerpoint Station, the Eye of Palpatine, and the Gravity Gun before we even got into the Vong stuff and the Old Republic or Sith eras ... There was a retconned DS prototype too right?

Superweapons that nuke planets, moons, and suns is a staple of SW IMHO.

It was kind of hard to find non Legends trilogies that didn't go to that well too many times.

Movies only did it twice which is the same as the OT.

It would be cool if they tried a different galaxy wide threat however. Or maybe not have one?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-20-2022 at 07:24 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Well ... This one obliterated stars and whole systems!

Great for terrorists ... Bad for empire builders.

I guess I was hoping the First Order was going to be a cultist terrorist group, not Empire 2.0.
    The series of books that came after Heir To The Empire ( can't remember the title now) had it that there was a secret design team that worked for the Empire that did nothing but design super weapons. They were in some super star destroyer hidden in the middle of nowhere. They began to suspect that the war was over and thier side lost when they stopped getting asked for progress reports.

The parts of the book with them are written with tongue firmly in cheek.

Even the writers of the EU novels knew that superweapons were done to death.

They just decided to have fun with fact that it was done to death.

Ultimate Member

Off the top of my head the EU had Eclipses, World Devastators, Sun Crusher, the Katana Fleet, Darksaber, the Galaxy Gun, Centerpoint Station, the Eye of Palpatine, and the Gravity Gun before we even got into the Vong stuff and the Old Republic or Sith eras ... There was a retconned DS prototype too right?

Superweapons that nuke planets, moons, and suns is a staple of SW IMHO.

It was kind of hard to find non Legends trilogies that didn't go to that well too many times.

Movies only did it twice which is the same as the OT.

It would be cool if they tried a different galaxy wide threat however. Or maybe not have one?
    Yeah, how about something just affecting one planet, or a more personal story?

The Dark Horse comics, apart from DARK EMPIRE and TALES OF THE JEDI tended to largely stay away from Luke and co. and big epic storylines, dealing mostly with 'side stories' while the novels did their thing with the main OT characters. Even their Shadows of the Empire adaptation largely did it's own thing, focusing on Boba Fett's POV for the most part. Although this started to shift a bit during the last decade before the Disney sale/Marvel switch.

Yeah, how about something just affecting one planet, or a more personal story?
    I liked the zombie trooper idea.

Vong are a cool concept, something I think could be done better on screen.

A flat out "conventional" war would be fine, too. It is Star Wars after all ...

We might be getting a gang war in Boba Fett and a Mando war in Mandalorian.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

I liked the zombie trooper idea.

Vong are a cool concept, something I think could be done better on screen.

A flat out "conventional" war would be fine, too. It is Star Wars after all ...

We might be getting a gang war in Boba Fett and a Mando war in Mandalorian.
    Which was the zombie trooper?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Which was the zombie trooper?
    It was one of the last novels done before Disney bought Star Wars called Death Troopers
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It was one of the last novels done before Disney bought Star Wars called Death Troopers
    Oh, ok. I haven't read much of the EU tbh. What was the zombie trooper like?

Oh, ok. I haven't read much of the EU tbh. What was the zombie trooper like?
    Violently infective zombie hoard that gets stronger closer to the source of the infection. It affected each species differently giving them different "powers" if you will. And they learned things like how to pilot. Blackwing was a very cool zombie virus concept.

ROGUE ONE's visual guide actually nods to the old EU Deathtroopers, stating that Palpatine was inspired by rumors about undead Troopers called Deathtroopers so he gave this elite group the name.

They're technically still canon too. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Undead_Trooper