Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Post-TROS, they should move away from TLJ’s stuff.

Despite appearances, this isn’t actually just about criticizing TLJ.

This is about arguing that most of TLJ’s positively received elements, even among its biggest fans, have already maximized their output, and are holding the rest of the franchise back if they’re respected going forward.

I’m not arguing for outright retcons… but I am arguing for ignoring what elements were liabilities going forward, and focusing more on tending the more profitable and higher quality ideas that run contrary to it - away from Reylo, away from Ben Solo, away from sad and useless Luke not refounding the Jedi, and towards Finn as a major hero and Rey’s closest companion, towards Rey having some serious issues and grudges against Ben/Kylo, and towards Luke having successes in reforming the Jedi off screen.

Understand: Reylo fans will still have the kiss that they ignored Kylo’s actions and Rey’s humanity for, fans of Sad And Failed Luke will still have the only real story it could tell, Ben Solo fans get the shallow retread they waited three films for and were insecure around Finn for. They still got all the stuff they needed to be happy.

But you’re going to make better Star Wars stories after TROS if you address John Boyega’s complaints and the complaints of Finn fans, ignore TLJ’s insistence he was a selfish coward, and embrace that Force-user idea. You’re going to make better Star Wars stories if you fix Rey by realizing Ben Solo was a cancerous companion for her to get stuck with, and to let her POV reflect reality rather than Adam-Driver-worshipping-fantasy. You’re going to make better Star Wars stories by having Luke have some students he trained before his psychopathic narcissist of nephew destroyed his larger school, like Grogu.

Yes, I still think The Last Jedi was a bad movie… but I think the worse aspects fo it was the way it hampered and neutered that era of the franchise.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

I think post-RoS timeline movies should try some new storylines instead of 'Rebel vs Empire'. Let's see the Jedi go to some far off planet in a smaller-scale adventure

The novels/comics kind of tried that with New Jedi Order/Swarm War etc but sort of defaulted back to the Jedi Vs.Sith/Civil War/Rebels vs Empire thing before too long after the prequels.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I think the era is done regardless, on a personal level. Don't get me wrong, I think these ST characters that came out the other side of the trilogy can be repaired if effort was put into it. But I just don't think there's anything of such strong significance and desire there to explore it as opposed to shutting the door on the era completely and finally, and moving far forward into a brand new one, where for all intents and purposes the canvas is once again totally blank. At least in regards to films.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think the era is done regardless, on a personal level. Don't get me wrong, I think these ST characters that came out the other side of the trilogy can be repaired if effort was put into it. But I just don't think there's anything of such strong significance and desire there to explore it as opposed to shutting the door on the era completely and finally, and moving far forward into a brand new one, where for all intents and purposes the canvas is once again totally blank. At least in regards to films.
    Except Star Wars always just goes back to eras we've already seen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Except Star Wars always just goes back to eras we've already seen.
    That’s the thing that makes it feel inevitable that someone will come back to Rey, Finn, et al - even stuff that’s vaguely canon like Visions is liable to get its eras revisited in the one start might end up in continuity.

As much as I believe that TLJ stuck a dagger in the hearts of the Rey and Finn fandoms, those fandoms were still present enough for three films over a billion dollars each. My hope is LFL recognizes that Finn and Rey were left untapped as potential sources of stories and income by the mistakes made by both themselves and Rian Jonnson. My fear is they end up just going back to Ben Solo and still making stories about poor little rich kids with affluenza, a mild case of sociopathy and narcissism, and how they make the perfect protagonists apparently.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

I suspect the latest trilogy will go the way of the prequels. Don't contradict them. Just never refer to them again except in general ways and move on to new stories and characters.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I suspect the latest trilogy will go the way of the prequels. Don't contradict them. Just never refer to them again except in general ways and move on to new stories and characters.
    That's my hope. Don't waste time trying to fix films we've already watched, just tell a good story and don't overtly contradict what's been established.

Someone suggested in another thread they do a big time jump for the next trilogy; a couple centuries or so. Enough time that the events of past films have become legend and for a new political landscape to have settled across the galaxy. And I find the idea really appealing. How much could change in that time? How much would stay the same? The other films are so far behind you they're not a limitation but you're not so far into the future that the entire setting unravels into something drastically new.

It was even suggested using an adult Grogu as a connective force, tying the new era to the old.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Prequels are still pretty relevant to what Disney's doing. Apart from the ongoing animations that have been set near that era (Bad Batch), we're getting the Obi-Wan series which stars the two leads. Jimmy Smits is rumored to be in Andor, etc. Morrison is doing Fett.

I'm probably one of the very few people on the planet to think that, but what i wouldn't mind for the franchise to actually distant itself a bit from is all the jedi and sith BS.

Ok, that was fun back then to watch McGegor jump all over the place like a frog on cocaine but after 40 years of hearing platitudes and wisdom deep as chinese cookies from them space wizards, well, i actually wouldn't something different.

A Black Sun movie why not?
    Last edited by Starter Set; 10-07-2021 at 11:39 AM.

^Kind of got a bit of that with SOLO. Both Black Sun and Crimson Dawn are part of Maul's Shadow Collective.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I'm probably one of the very few people on the planet to think that, but what i wouldn't mind for the franchise to actually distant itself a bit from is all the jedi and sith BS.

Ok, that was fun back then to watch McGegor jump all over the place like a frog on cocaine but after 40 years of hearing platitudes and wisdom deep as chinese cookies from them space wizards, well, i actually wouldn't something different.

A Black Sun movie why not?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ^Kind of got a bit of that with SOLO. Both Black Sun and Crimson Dawn are part of Maul's Shadow Collective.
    Aren't we getting that with Jenkin's Rouge Squadron and Waititi's Star Wars (they said no Force users in it, at least at one point, that may be different since he said the script is done back in August) film?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Why can't there be force users without necessarily being Jedi & Sith. The force is cool but doesn't always have to be tied down to that specific part of the mythos

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Why can't there be force users without necessarily being Jedi & Sith. The force is cool but doesn't always have to be tied down to that specific part of the mythos
    There is and was - but TLJ had no interest in developing Snoke, The Knights of Ren, or what separated them from the Sith, while for all the hypothetical suggestions TLJ hinted at, it wasn’t interested in actually investigating them.

Of course, it was also still a crappy idea to avoid showing Rey getting trained by Luke - more for her characterization and the story, but also because let’s face it, more people were going to want to watch Luke finally refund the Order than watch him throw a pity party without a brain.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    There is and was - but TLJ had no interest in developing Snoke, The Knights of Ren, or what separated them from the Sith, while for all the hypothetical suggestions TLJ hinted at, it wasn’t interested in actually investigating them.

Of course, it was also still a crappy idea to avoid showing Rey getting trained by Luke - more for her characterization and the story, but also because let’s face it, more people were going to want to watch Luke finally refund the Order than watch him throw a pity party without a brain.
    In future post-RoS installments, I'd like to see Force users dispense with some of the older Jedi/Sith tropes, and actually get development, unlike what happened to Snokr and the Knights of Ren