Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    There is and was - but TLJ had no interest in developing Snoke, The Knights of Ren, or what separated them from the Sith, while for all the hypothetical suggestions TLJ hinted at, it wasn’t interested in actually investigating them.

Of course, it was also still a crappy idea to avoid showing Rey getting trained by Luke - more for her characterization and the story, but also because let’s face it, more people were going to want to watch Luke finally refund the Order than watch him throw a pity party without a brain.
    Exactly.

I remember when TFA came out there was all this talk about the Knights of Ren not being Sith or Jedi. Only for them to end up being generic henchmen..

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I suspect the latest trilogy will go the way of the prequels. Don't contradict them. Just never refer to them again except in general ways and move on to new stories and characters.
    I think that's how the ST will be regarded, I just disagree that its how they treat the prequels. They're referenced quite often.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I think that's how the ST will be regarded, I just disagree that its how they treat the prequels. They're referenced quite often.
    But why reference the prequels and not the sequels? Are we suddenly pretending the prequels are good?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    But why reference the prequels and not the sequels? Are we suddenly pretending the prequels are good?
    They really are pretty decent...and in comparison to the sequels they're practically masterpieces.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

The great advantage the prequels have is that they didn’t damage the OT, and that they had a genuinely worthwhile world building and plot-construction. I mean, I’d still argue TPM and ROTSare ultimately better stories than TLJ and TROS; not having too deal with TLJ’s hypocrisy and sexism/racism is always going tog vie you an advantage, and their both actually very competently made films with ambitious stories. But even AOTC has a great plot going on behind it that Lucas could base an entire TV series on; it’s execution is bad, but not fatal.

The problem the Sequels have is that LFL allow them to slowly devolve into taking a **** on the OT, and on their own most successful film in TFA, while primarily reducing most of it down to a Kylo Ren-focused story that had a Dark Empire story stapled on at the end.

The PT was always just a good execution away from being great - that’s why so many comics, tie-in books, and TV shows succeeded in that era.

In contrast… the ST saw TLJ retcon and denigrate both successful elements from TFA and from TFA’s spin-off material.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They really are pretty decent...and in comparison to the sequels they're practically masterpieces.
    No they're not. They're not any better

Thanks to other projects like the animated works, the entire era has a much, much different reputation now than it did when it was just the three motion pictures. In totality, age has helped its overall reception.

I mean, you're free to dislike them all as much as you want of course, but all the same they very much are not ignored on a general level or otherwise.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thanks to other projects like the animated works, the entire era has a much, much different reputation now than it did when it was just the three motion pictures. In totality, age has helped its overall reception.

I mean, you're free to dislike them all as much as you want of course, but all the same they very much are not ignored on a general level or otherwise.
    I don't hate either, but I'm just not a fan of nostalgia somehow retroactively making things seem 'better.' And I'm specifically talking about the movies. They were disappointing yet got extra material, like animated shoes, to improve reception, so why can't the sequels get that too?

I don't hate either, but I'm just not a fan of nostalgia somehow retroactively making things seem 'better.' And I'm specifically talking about the movies. They were disappointing yet got extra material, like animated shoes, to improve reception, so why can't the sequels get that too?
    I hope they do.

None of the films themselves (any trilogy) are made better by extra material. Doesn't matter how good Clone Wars was, it doesn't make the prequels any easier to watch. Rogue One and Solo don't make New Hope any better or worse than it is.

But the extra material does enrich and improve the overall lore and continuity, and that can improve future projects. Mandalorian wouldn't be quite as good as it is if the cartoons hadn't deepened the lore of Mandalore and introduced all these ideas, characters, and history that Din Djarin has run into.

Nothing will make the sequels better films in their own right, but maybe the overall story can be added to, fleshed out, smoothed over, and made better. I hope it happens, the prequel era became much more robust and interesting because of Clone Wars, even if the prequel movies are still awful. The sequel era would benefit from the same development.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hope they do.

None of the films themselves (any trilogy) are made better by extra material. Doesn't matter how good Clone Wars was, it doesn't make the prequels any easier to watch. Rogue One and Solo don't make New Hope any better or worse than it is.

But the extra material does enrich and improve the overall lore and continuity, and that can improve future projects. Mandalorian wouldn't be quite as good as it is if the cartoons hadn't deepened the lore of Mandalore and introduced all these ideas, characters, and history that Din Djarin has run into.

Nothing will make the sequels better films in their own right, but maybe the overall story can be added to, fleshed out, smoothed over, and made better. I hope it happens, the prequel era became much more robust and interesting because of Clone Wars, even if the prequel movies are still awful. The sequel era would benefit from the same development.
    Yeah. All I'm saying is Star Wars shouldn't abandon the sequel era. Being stuck in the past doesn't really allow for much progress

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Yeah. All I'm saying is Star Wars shouldn't abandon the sequel era. Being stuck in the past doesn't really allow for much progress
    You don't need to be stuck in the past, there's nothing interesting about the sequels so I don't see staying there but you can just jump further ahead and keep on trucking. Grogu as a jedi master 100 years after the sequels would work perfectly well for instance and it would build off of something that people actually enjoyed.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You don't need to be stuck in the past, there's nothing interesting about the sequels so I don't see staying there but you can just jump further ahead and keep on trucking. Grogu as a jedi master 100 years after the sequels would work perfectly well for instance and it would build off of something that people actually enjoyed.
    That's what I mean. Star Wars needs to keep progressing

Star Wars, by-and-large, has had great ideas. The execution has been the problem. I have more problems with the PT than the ST but there are amazing aspects to mine for content in both. Case in point, the actual Clone Wars, Bad Batch from the PT-era.

There are legions of young, new fans that came into SW via the ST so I expect some era specific ST-spinoffs later. Much like when the PT-era new SW fans grew up and are pressing for content from that era. I actually think giving the PT time to breathe helped it in the long run.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

The last few issues of the Vader comics have been building on ROS's Exegol and Occhi of Bestoon's backstory a great deal.

I'm still wondering if Bad Batch's and Mandalorian's cloning subplots also somehow are connected to Palpatine's ressurection.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The last few issues of the Vader comics have been building on ROS's Exegol and Occhi of Bestoon's backstory a great deal.

I'm still wondering if Bad Batch's and Mandalorian's cloning subplots also somehow are connected to Palpatine's ressurection.
    I can't be sure we'll ever get answers about Sheev returning