Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I already toyed with mentioning them but now that you did I have to say that the current Force ghosts are a cool concept but also very problematic.
    I mean Yoda already could talk with Qui-Gon in the prequels but apparently that also required a technique from the living side to do so. It's what Yoda teached Obi-Wan later. Also apparently not much came from it. It's not like Qui-Gon had some hidden insight or anything like that.
    Sith ghosts also already existed but they are not something you could just talk to. They are basically the rage of the person even persisting after death and they would try to possesses you and drive you insane so staying away from them as far as possible was the best idea.
    These Force ghosts from the sequels though are the exact same person they have been in life. They can appear out of free will and they can actually interact with the real world.

Again a cool concept but if you want to expand on it you will really have to clarify how all of it works because otherwise you open a huge can of worms. Like why aren't these ghosts helping in dealing with problems? How do you deal with an entity you apparently can't interact with but they can interact with you? Do they age or will they be in this state until the end of time? Could they move on if they wanted to? How do you even enter this state? Can they just appear everywhere they want and you know potentially spy on people?
    Like I have nothing against building on it but this is a concept that requires a lot more thought being put into it and if they don't then I would be happy if they would rather quietly drop the whole thing.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I already toyed with mentioning them but now that you did I have to say that the current Force ghosts are a cool concept but also very problematic.
    I mean Yoda already could talk with Qui-Gon in the prequels but apparently that also required a technique from the living side to do so. It's what Yoda teached Obi-Wan later. Also apparently not much came from it. It's not like Qui-Gon had some hidden insight or anything like that.
    Sith ghosts also already existed but they are not something you could just talk to. They are basically the rage of the person even persisting after death and they would try to possesses you and drive you insane so staying away from them as far as possible was the best idea.
    These Force ghosts from the sequels though are the exact same person they have been in life. They can appear out of free will and they can actually interact with the real world.

Again a cool concept but if you want to expand on it you will really have to clarify how all of it works because otherwise you open a huge can of worms. Like why aren't these ghosts helping in dealing with problems? How do you deal with an entity you apparently can't interact with but they can interact with you? Do they age or will they be in this state until the end of time? Could they move on if they wanted to? How do you even enter this state? Can they just appear everywhere they want and you know potentially spy on people?
    Like I have nothing against building on it but this is a concept that requires a lot more thought being put into it and if they don't then I would be happy if they would rather quietly drop the whole thing.
    I assumed Force Ghosts just exist to help whomever's contacting them from the living

Yeah the Force ghosts could be a whole pile of problematic, if creators aren't careful in how they set the new boundaries. Making them a bigger part of the mythos is maybe kind of interesting, and if nothing else a way for Jedi knowledge to carry over now that all the fully trained Jedi are dead, but......it could cause all kinds of trouble too.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

To be fair the force ghost powers seemed to increase in the OT too. In ANH Obi-Wan is a disembodied voice, in ESB he can manifest visually but seems to be largely fixed into one place. In ROTJ he's able to walk around and physically sit on a log (or rock) without falling through it.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think the main excuse for the First Order taking over things so quickly is that the Republic decided to return to the way it was before the Clone Wars-no major standing army, just the Jedi and the member planet's own militias (Like the one in TPM) or private armies.

Although they do at least have some kind of fleet consisting of at least a few cruisers and X-wings-we see that in the Mandalorian, and at least some of the Resistance's stuff is from the New Republic (although they also have some Rebellion era ships-Including Leia's old cruiser from ANH which I guess the Empire didn't bother to destroy).
    After the threat of the Empire was gone many of the Republic's member nations likely went on a "anti centralized power" kick.

Lord knows 40+ years is enough time for said member races to willfully forget all the lessons that history should have taught them.

I'm sure they were told what a bad idea it was. They just didn't listen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    After the threat of the Empire was gone many of the Republic's member nations likely went on a "anti centralized power" kick.

Lord knows 40+ years is enough time for said member races to willfully forget all the lessons that history should have taught them.

I'm sure they were told what a bad idea it was. They just didn't listen.
    If people can forget the Jedi existed in 20 years, this isn't really out of the question.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    If people can forget the Jedi existed in 20 years, this isn't really out of the question.
    There’s some problem with this given we have long lived species for whom 20 years would be a year or so at most… but really, a smart story could still make that kind of work.

TFA was originally written with the idea being that the First Order were completely hidden in the Unknown Regions and therefore considered little more than pirates and holdout without any real power. Some of that survived through release.

…Then it turned out that TFA was considered too “different” by LFL when everyone else felt it was too similar, and they started ramping up for TLJ by declaring whole sections of the Galaxy were already part of the First Order, and that they could conquer the Galaxy in a matter of weeks.

This is your daily reminder that as unoriginal as TFA was, TLJ was actually worse, and LFL liked it that way.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    There’s some problem with this given we have long lived species for whom 20 years would be a year or so at most… but really, a smart story could still make that kind of work.

TFA was originally written with the idea being that the First Order were completely hidden in the Unknown Regions and therefore considered little more than pirates and holdout without any real power. Some of that survived through release.

…Then it turned out that TFA was considered too “different” by LFL when everyone else felt it was too similar, and they started ramping up for TLJ by declaring whole sections of the Galaxy were already part of the First Order, and that they could conquer the Galaxy in a matter of weeks.

This is your daily reminder that as unoriginal as TFA was, TLJ was actually worse, and LFL liked it that way.
    I don't think any story could make it to where the Force and the Jedi being almost unknown after only 2 decades is reasonable

Extraordinary Member

I don't think any story could make it to where the Force and the Jedi being almost unknown after only 2 decades is reasonable
    If you ignore the depicted only in cartoon Clone Wars you can kinda buy that.

Going by the Movies, it seems like The Jedi really didn't do much for the common guy only intervening at the behest of the high Government officials or the Jedi Council itself.

Unlike King Arthur's Round Table Knight errantry, doesn't seem to have ever been a thing among the Jedi, with only that notorious weirdo Qui Gon giving the slightest of damns about the common folk.

Near as we can tell from the movies, people of the Old Republic for them most part likely never saw them or never saw them DO anything so it was real easy to forget about them as a group.

It's like having Police that are only dispatched when the Mayor calls them in. For all practical purposes they aren't gonna exist for you unless you have connections or money or both.

The CBR main site just had an article that stated originally Abrams wanted to destroy Coruscant instead of Hosnian, but LFL said no.

Coruscant was apparently going to be the setting of most of the action in DOTF (Original episode 9).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The CBR main site just had an article that stated originally Abrams wanted to destroy Coruscant instead of Hosnian, but LFL said no.

Coruscant was apparently going to be the setting of most of the action in DOTF (Original episode 9).
    LFL wanted the board reset to the OT just as much, if not more, than Abrams, given how enthusiastic they were about the almost parody-level of it in TLJ… and destroying Coruscant would have more justifiably done that, been in line with the idea of the First Order being a terrorist group with a super weapon, and like a lot of things, the follow-through on the idea would have been key (and again, TLJ suggests it wouldn’t have mattered, and been screwed over no matter what.)

The idea of the DOTF script ending on Coruscant is actually pretty cool, albeit it would just reinforce the idea of the Galaxy rolling over without a fight just so we can see a Rebellion moment again.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Instead of all that, the PT should've dropped the planet killing weapon plot to begin with

Starkiller base being disabled instead of blown up would've gone a long way to fix plot issues in 8 & 9 in regards to decommissioned Death Star tech and the Katana Fleet.

Swap that out with repurposed Starkiller weapons and boom ... Plot point fixed to a degree and the First Order looks like they learn from their mistakes. Gives reasonable shade for the undead Emperor reveal as he would have a reason to finally come on the board to play.

Imperial Center getting nuked over Hosian sounds better to me, too. Kill the past mission complete right there.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-19-2022 at 08:14 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Starkiller base being disabled instead of blown up would've gone a long way to fix plot issues in 8 & 9 in regards to decommissioned Death Star tech and the Katana Fleet.

Swap that out with repurposed Starkiller weapons and boom ... Plot point fixed to a degree and the First Order looks like they learn from their mistakes. Gives reasonable shade for the undead Emperor reveal as he would have a reason to finally come on the board to play.

Imperial Center getting nuked over Hosian sounds better to me, too. Kill the past mission complete right there.
    Not a bad idea, but honestly, I think the idea of outright obliterating planets seems like a massive waste of potential resources.

Not a bad idea, but honestly, I think the idea of outright obliterating planets seems like a massive waste of potential resources.
    Well ... This one obliterated stars and whole systems!

Great for terrorists ... Bad for empire builders.

I guess I was hoping the First Order was going to be a cultist terrorist group, not Empire 2.0.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium