Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Female JSA characters who replaced male characters, good/bad/last seen

Came across this DC in-house ad…

…and thought to myself “wow I’d forgotten all about her”. Which is why the thread.

How many female legacies have there been?
    And though I said JSA I’m okay w. other heroes from that era.
    I can think of,

Jonni Thunder

Dr. Mid-Nite (Beth Chapel)

Wildcat (Yolanda Montez)

Judo Master (Sonia Sato)

Crimson Avenger (Jill Carlyle)

Jesse Quick (Jesse Chambers)
    she replaced her dad AND her mom.

Stargirl (Courtney Whitmore)
    She replaced Starman AND Star Spangled Kid.

Did I miss any? Do you like them? What’s their status?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

…and thought to myself “wow I’d forgotten all about her”. Which is why the thread.

I can think of,

Jonni Thunder

Wildcat (Yolanda Montez)

Judo Master (Sonia Sato)

Hawkgirl Kendra counts as a legacy for both Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Even if she is a reincarnation.

Incredible Member

Helena Wayne Huntress for Batman.
    Robin operates as sort of a limbo character for the Wayne family.
    He is sort of family, but is not.

Power Girl is also sort of one for Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Hawkgirl Kendra counts as a legacy for both Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Even if she is a reincarnation.
    Kendra became separate from Shayera (Hawkwoman) a few years ago. Previously no two reincarnations could co-exist, but this allowed Kendra to have other love interests, and she dated Martian Manhunter in Snyder's Justice League. Because of that change, she's now a true legacy character.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I can think of,

Jonni Thunder

Wildcat (Yolanda Montez)

Judo Master (Sonia Sato)

The Starman Courtney replaced as the Cosmic Staff wielder wasn't the original, Jack Knight is a legacy character himself.

There was a golden age heroine called Red Tornado who was replaced by the JLA's android. Cyclone is also her successor, being her granddaughter.

Wildcat had a second successor, also known as Tomcat.

Doctor Mid-Nite also had a second successor, Pieter Cross. Beth Chapel's name was actually Doctor Midnight in the comics, the Stargirl TV show changed it to match Charles McNider.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Starman Courtney replaced as the Cosmic Staff wielder wasn't the original, Jack Knight is a legacy character himself.

There was a golden age heroine called Red Tornado who was replaced by the JLA's android. Cyclone is also her successor, being her granddaughter.

Wildcat had a second successor, also known as Tomcat.

Doctor Mid-Nite also had a second successor, Pieter Cross. Beth Chapel's name was actually Doctor Midnight in the comics, the Stargirl TV show changed it to match Charles McNider.
    ^^^thanks for replying!
    So, Courtney replaced a Starman of a Starman (of a Starman if you count Jack’s brother David)!

Red Tornado’s the opposite of what I was looking for, and a super rare example of a male character taking on a female character’s identity come to think of it.

I knew about the male Dr. Mid-Nite and Tomcat, but was more interested in the female legacies.

Speaking of, I recalled earlier that Firebrand applies here…:

In-universe the male FB (Roy) was injured during the attack on Pearl Harbor and his sister Danette took up the FB mantle from him.

Extraordinary Member

The modern female Red Bee replaced the male Golden Age one.

Retired

Dinah Drake (Black Canary) replaced Johnny Thunder. She did it first in FLASH COMICS, taking over his feature. Then she did it in ALL-STAR COMICS, taking over his spot in the Justice Society. In fact, Johnny was the one who said B.C. should take his place on the team.

J.S.A. adjacent, Merry Pemberton, Sylvester's adopted sister, took over his spot in STAR-SPANGLED COMICS, replacing the Star-Spangled Kid and Stripesy in her role as Merry, Girl of 1000 Gimmicks.

The original Red Tornado, Ma Hunkel, is debatable as a Society member. The second Red Tornado (John Smith) either takes her place or else he's the first R.T. to hold active membership. Then years later, Ma's granddaughter, Maxine Hunkel, takes the place of either or both as Cyclone. Granted this is a tortured argument, but Reddy was before Cyclone, and if he's considered male, then she sort of replaced him/them.

Extraordinary Member

Not a JSA member, but how could we not include Zatanna Zatara replacing her father John Zatara as far as both popularity and recognition.

The modern female Red Bee replaced the male Golden Age one.
    ^^^damn that’s right!

Not a JSA member, but how could we not include Zatanna Zatara replacing her father John Zatara as far as both popularity and recognition.
    ^^^double damn that’s right!

Also in the latest Freedom Fighters mini series, Doll Man was replaced by Doll Woman (he is not JSA member, but a Golden Age character)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Jonni Thunder

Wildcat (Yolanda Montez)

Judo Master (Sonia Sato)

Looking at that list, I realize I actually prefer the female replacements for the most part.

My exceptions would be Dr. Mid-Nite and Wildcat; gimme Ted Grant and Pieter Cross (himself a replacement of McNider obviously).
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

One that was here and gone too fast was Shelly Gaynor, The Whip. She was the granddaughter of the Golden Age Whip, who was a member of the All-Star Squadron, and was himself a descendant of the original, Zorro-like Whip.

And there's Bulleteer, who's an inadvertent legacy hero of Bulletman and Bulletgirl.

Retired

Speaking of, I recalled earlier that Firebrand applies here…:

In-universe the male FB (Roy) was injured during the attack on Pearl Harbor and his sister Danette took up the FB mantle from him.
    I'm ambivalent about Danette replacing Rod as Firebrand. It sidelines a great Quality character--Reed Crandall was the artist on Firebrand during his short run in POLICE COMICS. And the female Firebrand is one of those characters who just happens to get the powers for the codename, what are the chances? I guess Rod wasn't so lucky. Danette just doesn't seem of the period. I feel that characters retconned into the 1940s should look and act like 1940s super-heroes.

Of course, the All-Star Squadron is NOT the Justice Battalion. Those were two different groups. I thought maybe Roy Thomas intended the Justice Battalion to be one group within the larger All-Star Squadron. But battalions and squadrons are parallel groups--one isn't within the other--if I understand the U.S. military structure correctly. Roy should have made it the All-Star Brigade--because brigades contain 3 to 6 battalions. But I guess Roy was really determined that the team name should be "ASS"--not "ASB."

If I could reinvent the Firebrand--I'd try to somehow work in the legend of Meleager from Greek myth. When Meleager was born, the Fates predicted he would only live as long as a piece of wood burning in the fireplace. Meleager's mother, Althaea, retrieved the firebrand and put out the fire. She kept that firebrand safe, so that Meleager would have a long life. However, when Meleager had rewarded Atalante for helping in killing the Calydonian boar, other family members fought with Meleager over this and he killed his own brother. Learning this, Althaea threw the firebrand in the fire, thus dooming Meleager.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

What about the Red Tornado of the Earth 2 book would she count? It was Lois Lane's mind in a female version of the classic Red Tornados body.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 09-28-2021 at 03:19 PM.