Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    DC doesn’t really like to mix it up. They just make odd decisions to satisfy inconsistent whims. The Young Justice show is it’s own thing. It’s not an adaptation of Tim’s YJ, but a show about DC’s young generation that started with first incarnations. It was something the comic side of DC had little influence over. The other examples is just DC’s comic side trying to stick the current Robin in popular previous incarnations to try and market them with a nostalgia rub. It doesn’t really make sense, and ends up just being a half measure that undermines both nostalgia and new.
    The author has confirmed DC doesn't force Damian in the story. This was the author's decision.

OGNs are pretty independent from main continuity comics too, the authors have mentioned to have a lot of freedom.

I guess the author just want to write this dynamic between an old Robin and a new Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    This makes sense.

Dc likes to mix it up with Robins on teams. Dick with YJ and Tim with half the NTT and Damian with the quartet of eternal Teens Gar, BB and Star.

Sometimes it works out [Dick in YJ] Hope it works out here
    I feel like they wanted to include Damian because in a series targeting younger readers they want to make sure the current Robin is still represented maybe. They don't want to just push Dick as Robin because they are so heavily invested in Damian as Robin these days. I dunno, but to me it is just really weird to have both Dick and Damian as Robin. I just don't see the point of including Damian even if I like Damian. I guess if the older one is Tim it might make more sense? Then the dynamic would probably fit more. There hasn't really been any confirmation of it being Dick I guess.

I think it was in the TTGO series there are hints that the Robin we see is the 3rd Robin even though it is basically Dick Grayson. Like there was some urn that had Robin II on it in the background obviously making a joke at it being Jason. So maybe like the cartoon they are combining Tim's look, and now maybe his placement, into Dick's character.

Found the Robin II image I was thinking of. I get it is a joke but maybe they will go for something like this. Where the older Robin is a mix of Tim and Dick. Which would probably set up this older Robin and Damian in the OGN having a more Tim/Damian kind of dynamic from the comics probably. Where there is some friction between the two.

Astonishing Member

So now Robin has ongoing, two mini-series, book by Garcia/Picolo, and also game, and two TV-shows (Titans and Young Justice). Not bad.
    The author has confirmed DC doesn't force Damian in the story. This was the author's decision.
    To be fair, even if it's not authors's decision, I doubt she would reveal that, at least for now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    To be fair, even if it's not authors's decision, I doubt she would reveal that, at least for now.
    However, it has been mentioned many times that authors have a lot of freedom. That's the reason why we have cases like "Shadow of Batgirl" with Cassandra Cain.

In itself, the drama generated by the conflict between an old Robin and a new Robin would fit pretty good in a OGN for Young Adults. So, I don't think the author was forced to include Damian in any way.

People are apprehensive because that's a different kind of relationship than Dick and Damian have in main continuity. However, such changes are extremely common among the authors of OGNs.

Maybe it was Dick that was forced.

And the conflict between the old Robin and new Robin doesn’t work with Dick as Robin. Because Dick created Robin. Imagine Damian fighting Dick over a name Dick’s mom use to call him.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-28-2021 at 04:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Or Garcia is just a fan of Dick/Damian dynamic. Actually having them both starring this book is a huge selling point.

Astonishing Member

Maybe it was Dick that was forced.
    The artist seem to like Teen Titans animation (2003). He has drawn many images where Dick is Robin. So, I don't think Dick was forced either.

https://twitter.com/_gabrielpicolo/s...70941435854848

As I mentioned, the kind of drama generated by the conflict between old Robin and new Robin would be pretty common in OGNs for Young Adults. It's pretty likely this is essential to the story they want to tell.

Extraordinary Member

Garcia/Picolo have produced DC's only cash cow out of the YA OGN line and Garcia had a successful career as a YA novelist prior to her DC work, DC's not forcing any story ideas down their throats' guys.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Or Garcia is just a fan of Dick/Damian dynamic. Actually having them both starring this book is a huge selling point.
    The problem is that people don't think Dick/Damian will have the same dynamic that main continuity.

The most likely is that the dynamic will be a new Robin infringing on the old Robin. It will be similar to earlier interactions between Tim and Damian (but less violent).

As I said, this conflict would fit pretty well in a Young Adult story.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I feel like they wanted to include Damian because in a series targeting younger readers they want to make sure the current Robin is still represented maybe. They don't want to just push Dick as Robin because they are so heavily invested in Damian as Robin these days. I dunno, but to me it is just really weird to have both Dick and Damian as Robin. I just don't see the point of including Damian even if I like Damian. I guess if the older one is Tim it might make more sense? Then the dynamic would probably fit more. There hasn't really been any confirmation of it being Dick I guess.

I think it was in the TTGO series there are hints that the Robin we see is the 3rd Robin even though it is basically Dick Grayson. Like there was some urn that had Robin II on it in the background obviously making a joke at it being Jason. So maybe like the cartoon they are combining Tim's look, and now maybe his placement, into Dick's character.

Found the Robin II image I was thinking of. I get it is a joke but maybe they will go for something like this. Where the older Robin is a mix of Tim and Dick. Which would probably set up this older Robin and Damian in the OGN having a more Tim/Damian kind of dynamic from the comics probably. Where there is some friction between the two.
    I think the Robin in TT GO is confirmed to be Dick - we see him becoming Nightwing in the future, or being with Batgirl. The Robin II urn is basically a joke/easter egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The artist seem to like Teen Titans animation (2003). He has drawn many images where Dick is Robin. So, I don't think Dick was forced either.

https://twitter.com/_gabrielpicolo/s...70941435854848

As I mentioned, the kind of drama generated by the conflict between old Robin and new Robin would be pretty common in OGNs for Young Adults. It's pretty likely this is essential to the story they want to tell.
    Dick’s not the old Robin if he’s the current Robin. Again the conflict has no ground with Dick being Robin, as Dick created Robin. The animated movies used that conflict with Dick and Damian, but at least there Dick wasn’t currently Robin. With Dick as Robin they’ll be trying to generate a conflict over Dick’s identity rather then a legacy.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-28-2021 at 05:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

Dick’s not the old Robin if he’s the current Robin. Again the conflict has no ground with Dick being Robin, as Dick created Robin. The animated movies used that conflict with Dick and Damian, but at least there Dick wasn’t currently Robin. With Dick as Robin they’ll be trying to generate a conflict over Dick’s identity rather then a legacy.
    The author will likely ignore/erase the part about Dick's mom calling Dick as Robin (if they even know). They will likely focus on Robin being Batman's partner.

After all, OGNs are a totally new continuity, so the authors don't need to stick to the origins of the Identities in continuity.

For example: Batman doesn't exist in "the Shadow of Batgirl" book.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-28-2021 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The authors will likely ignore the part about Dick's mom calling Dick as Robin (if they even know). DC often does that.

After all, OGNs are a totally new continuity, so the authors don't need

For example: Batman doesn't exist in "the Shadow of Batgirl" book,
    That was just to make a point. With Dick Robin isn’t a legacy yet, but his creation. Which is something that is pretty consistent even with different continuities on the basis of him being the first.

It is just interesting how they haven't done a solo Dick as Robin OGN series when it feels like it would be such an easy sell. They did one of him before he was Robin at the circus, and then that Teen Titans Earth One series removed Robin all together, and now here they have two Robins. I see what the author said, but it does feel like a DC is a bit hesitant to push a OGN with Dick as Robin by himself for some reason. I dunno.

Astonishing Member

I don't think DC has problem to promote Dick as Robin. That's likely OGN's authors decisions.

It has been mentioned OGN's authors have a lot of freedom.
    Last edited by Konja7; 09-28-2021 at 05:51 AM.