Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default The original Inferno

I should be mid-dream by now, but I was just slayed and resurrected. I just finished reading the first battle between Jean and Madelyne during the original Inferno event (X-Factor #38 [1989]) and was blown the f**k away. The strength and empathy Jean displays here is just… ::chef’s kiss:: From the very beginning, she was so caring towards and considerate of Madelyne, and continued being so even after she was assaulted and her parents and friends were violated by her. I did feel a little for Madelyne too, though.

This is why I love Jean Grey (the entire fight this is at the link):

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jean_RED_...47625250308100

😭❤️

BANNED

Question Why so surprised, given who the writer is...

I marvel at the masked Marvel Girl written by the godmother of modern comics...
    Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The Godmother of modern comics,
    Louise Simonson,
    sat down at Baltimore Comic-Con Live 2020 to chat about the
    industry's history, present and future with host Christy Blanch.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Louise_Simonson

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I marvel at the masked Marvel Girl written by the godmother of modern comics...
    Louise is amazing.

What I don’t get is how anyone can dare blame Jean for anything that happened to Madelyne. She was so considerate of her since the moment she found out about her. It blows my mind.

And the levels of grace and empathy Louise imbued her with were supernatural. Chiiile, if you came after my parents the way Madelyne did Jean’s, you would be done for.

Extraordinary Member

Isn't this just a Jean appreciation topic?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Are you at all surprised?

Are you talking just about Inferno or the build-up to inferno? As there was a period where Jean slandered Madeylne like every second issue blaming her for Scotts erratic behaviour. This was before she knew she was her clone. This continued even after Madeylne "died" by going through the Seige Perilous and Storms team saved the world from the Adversary

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    😂 No! Though Jean's exemplary behavior during the climactic battle certainly inspired this thread, I was hoping the discussion would branch out to cover various aspects of the original Inferno event, including what people liked and didn't like about it, and maybe possible upcoming parallels with Hickman's Inferno. I still hope it can.

Do you like this event?

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Are you at all surprised?
    Why are you being mean...

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Are you talking just about Inferno or the build-up to inferno? As there was a period where Jean slandered Madeylne like every second issue blaming her for Scotts erratic behaviour. This was before she knew she was her clone. This continued even after Madeylne "died" by going through the Seige Perilous and Storms team saved the world from the Adversary
    When Jean first found out about Madelyne, she refused Scott's advances and pushed him to contact and go back to her. She did this on a number of occasions. It was only after Scott became distressed behind Madelyne's and his son's disappearance that Jean started questioning Madelyne's motives. She never did act like the jilted ex-girlfriend. As for how she acted after Madelyne "died," I will have to continue reading, but, considering she tried killing her and her friends, sacrificing her own and Scott's child, and turned Jean's parents into demons, which she tried having killed, I wouldn't be surprised if Jean held some resentment towards her.
    Last edited by Mercury; 09-28-2021 at 07:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I have not had a chance to reread it since it first happened but I know at the time it felt really big and there were a lot of cool moments for so many characters. The mutant books of that period were much more dramatic and the characters felt more developed. The event itself was a nice 'reunion' of the three main books as they had only had passing references to each other a few times before that. Some might feel Maddie was done wrong, but that's what characters are for and that is what made the stories feel so powerful.

Fantastic Member

The original Inferno is one of the biggest black marks in X-History imo.

First of all they ruined The Dark Phoenix Saga and F*cked Cyclops for years by bringing Jean back and then for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to have him leave his wife and child so they could reunite the 05.

Then we had a whole event just to make Maddie look bad so they could make Scott/Jean "the good guys" again.

I can't enjoy it because I know the whole thing is a result of editorial/creator in-fighting and **** ups.
    Last edited by OmegaStorm87; 09-28-2021 at 08:13 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

The New Mutants carried and X-Factor took all the credit.
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Jean Grey was objectively vicious toward Madelyne in Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The New Mutants carried and X-Factor took all the credit.
    Facts. Inferno is first and foremost a New Mutants story for me; one of the best.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Jean Grey was objectively vicious toward Madelyne in Inferno.
    I know, right? I was literally gobsmacked that OP made a thread to praise how kind Jean was to Maddie during Inferno all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post

WTF..... storm saved ???? LOL XD
    I remember it was a team effort and the one who weakened him the most to banish him was Rogue not Storm.

What time giving storm more credit than he actually has, surprise me?
    Not at all.
    LOL

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    WTF..... storm saved ???? LOL XD
    I remember it was a team effort and the one who weakened him the most to banish him was Rogue not Storm.

What time giving storm more credit than he actually has, surprise me?
    Not at all.
    LOL
    You need to start proof reading your posts before submitting them as 3/4's of them are virtually unreadable.