Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The original Inferno

I should be mid-dream by now, but I was just slayed and resurrected. I just finished reading the first battle between Jean and Madelyne during the original Inferno event (X-Factor #38 [1989]) and was blown the f**k away. The strength and empathy Jean displays here is just… ::chef’s kiss:: From the very beginning, she was so caring towards and considerate of Madelyne, and continued being so even after she was assaulted and her parents and friends were violated by her. I did feel a little for Madelyne too, though.

This is why I love Jean Grey (the entire fight this is at the link):

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jean_RED_...47625250308100

😭❤️

BANNED

Question Why so surprised, given who the writer is...

I marvel at the masked Marvel Girl written by the godmother of modern comics...
    Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    The Godmother of modern comics,
    Louise Simonson,
    sat down at Baltimore Comic-Con Live 2020 to chat about the
    industry's history, present and future with host Christy Blanch.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Louise_Simonson

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I marvel at the masked Marvel Girl written by the godmother of modern comics...
    Louise is amazing.

What I don’t get is how anyone can dare blame Jean for anything that happened to Madelyne. She was so considerate of her since the moment she found out about her. It blows my mind.

And the levels of grace and empathy Louise imbued her with were supernatural. Chiiile, if you came after my parents the way Madelyne did Jean’s, you would be done for.

Extraordinary Member

Isn't this just a Jean appreciation topic?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Are you at all surprised?

Are you talking just about Inferno or the build-up to inferno? As there was a period where Jean slandered Madeylne like every second issue blaming her for Scotts erratic behaviour. This was before she knew she was her clone. This continued even after Madeylne "died" by going through the Seige Perilous and Storms team saved the world from the Adversary

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Better a thread of appreciation from Jean or Maddie than from Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Louise is amazing.

What I don’t get is how anyone can dare blame Jean for anything that happened to Madelyne. She was so considerate of her since the moment she found out about her. It blows my mind.

And the levels of grace and empathy Louise imbued her with were supernatural. Chiiile, if you came after my parents the way Madelyne did Jean’s, you would be done for.
    Scott is so smarmy
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 09-28-2021 at 11:09 PM.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Scott us do smarmy
    To be fair, she's giving some mixed signals in that scene.

Mentioning dying together and saying that she thought they would have a girl probably confused him.

That being said, his expression in that last panel could make for a great meme. He seems lost there.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Extraordinary Member

The New Mutants turned the Inferno babies over to the US government, who instead of giving them back to their families decided to use them as weapons. They experimented on the children to open another portal to Limbo and sent a force of troops to establish a base and raise the babies there to be living weapons. Because time flows faster in Limbo the babies were 20 at the time of Fall of the New Mutants and indoctrinated to follow General Ulysses in all matters. They were all killed with the exception of Face at the end of the story by Sam and Dani.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    To be fair, she's giving some mixed signals in that scene.

Mentioning dying together and saying that she thought they would have a girl probably confused him.

That being said, his expression in that last panel could make for a great meme. He seems lost there.
    They're both giving mixed signals because that's how they feel: trying to do the right thing, wanting to do the right thing but desperate to do the wrong one because they still love each other.

It's so tiring that people judge these characters from the perspective and the expectation that they should be perfect. What makes them so interesting and the writing so compelling is that they're *not* perfect. Yes, sometimes they get angry and are unfair and make mistakes. But that's why it feels so real: they're trying to cope with an impossible situation none of them had gone through before or was ready to navigate. And they're trying to be good people and do the right thing. But sometimes they fail. What people should be focusing here is their effort, not how successful they are.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Louise is amazing.
    I think she can be when she wasn't being problematic.

To this day I only read the New Mutants part of Inferno because New Mutants has always been the only X-Franchise I cared about until Magik joined the main X-Men books.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    To this day I only read the New Mutants part of Inferno because New Mutants has always been the only X-Franchise I cared about until Magik joined the main X-Men books.
    And that was the only very small disappointment for me...that the New Mutants seemed so separate from what was going on between UXM and XF. It was clearly focusing on Magik as the Darkchild which I absolutely loved but I wished the NMs were more involved in the main plot.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

I should be mid-dream by now, but I was just slayed and resurrected. I just finished reading the first battle between Jean and Madelyne during the original Inferno event (X-Factor #38 [1989]) and was blown the f**k away. The strength and empathy Jean displays here is just… ::chef’s kiss:: From the very beginning, she was so caring towards and considerate of Madelyne, and continued being so even after she was assaulted and her parents and friends were violated by her. I did feel a little for Madelyne too, though.

This is why I love Jean Grey (the entire fight this is at the link):

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jean_RED_...47625250308100

��❤️
    Sorry, Inferno was just out-and-out garbage. The Forge/Storm/X-men intro parts of it were ok, but the X-factor-especially the Jean Grey parts were just plain trash.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 09-29-2021 at 10:32 AM.