Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Ooh how so??

Ugh Time Travel hurts my head
    After Claremont left Illyana became a lot more ok with killing. While Claremont wrote her she was willing to kill as a last resort, but she learned from watching what happened to the Storm who trained her in white magic the danger of killing in anger. That's why she spared Belasco. Claremont's Illyana would not have teleported people to Limbo to be killed by the demons. She didn't even do that to the Enchantress after the Enchantress had tortured her for days, instructing S'ym not to kill her. Simonsen's Illyna sent people to Limbo with abandon with the purpose of giving them gruesome deaths. Claremont's Illyana would never have sought to murder Forge since she'd learned the lesson about killing in anger and already spared Belasco, the man who ruined her life. Simonsen's Illyana never learned that lesson since she had killed Belasco and was proud of that. Claremont's Illyana had learned and grown throughout her time in Limbo and her victory over Belasco was a product of those lessons. Simonsen's Illyana only gained power in Limbo but no knowledge to go with that power and was only now coming to realize that she needed to learn the very things she had always known when Claremont was writing her.

It's the difference between Chris Nolan's 'I'm not an executioner' Batman and Zach Snyder's 'I must kill Superman if there's even a 1% chance he could be evil as well as anyone in my way' Batman.

Magik didn't kill Belasco.jpg

I wish I could make the image larger, but that's Illyana claiming that she killed Belasco in an issue written by Simonsen in 1988, which contradicts what actually happened. She says "I killed my master in Limbo, and gained his kingdom for my own. I'll kill you too, if only I can..."

According to Simonsen this ends with Illyana cutting off Belasco's head with no negative consequences.

magik spares belasco.jpg
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-19-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Ah these scans are bringing me back in the best way. I loved Inferno.

It is my favourite X-over Event.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    this also absolutely my favorite Psylocke incarnation of all times. Wished we would get her back!
    This era is when I fell in love with Betsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It is my favourite X-over Event.
    Absolute classic and I love reading it every few years.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

I entered into the world of comics with two xmen stories; psylocke’s joinging the x-men, and the beginning of act 3 when both teams storm the old mansion. I had no idea what was going on, but I fascinated and enthralled.

Even years after I read the whole thing and all the backstories leading up, what amazes me about Inferno in total in how it is payoff, after payoff, after payoff of many years of stories in an intensity and pace that lives up to its name. It’s also appropriate, if a little sad, that both books just weren’t the same afterward.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Louise is amazing.
    I think she can be when she wasn't being problematic.

To this day I only read the New Mutants part of Inferno because New Mutants has always been the only X-Franchise I cared about until Magik joined the main X-Men books.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    After Claremont left Illyana became a lot more ok with killing. While Claremont wrote her she was willing to kill as a last resort, but she learned from watching what happened to the Storm who trained her in white magic the danger of killing in anger. That's why she spared Belasco. Claremont's Illyana would not have teleported people to Limbo to be killed by the demons. She didn't even do that to the Enchantress after the Enchantress had tortured her for days, instructing S'ym not to kill her. Simonsen's Illyna sent people to Limbo with abandon with the purpose of giving them gruesome deaths. Claremont's Illyana would never have sought to murder Forge since she'd learned the lesson about killing in anger and already spared Belasco, the man who ruined her life. Simonsen's Illyana never learned that lesson since she had killed Belasco and was proud of that. Claremont's Illyana had learned and grown throughout her time in Limbo and her victory over Belasco was a product of those lessons. Simonsen's Illyana only gained power in Limbo but no knowledge to go with that power and was only now coming to realize that she needed to learn the very things she had always known when Claremont was writing her.

It's the difference between Chris Nolan's 'I'm not an executioner' Batman and Zach Snyder's 'I must kill Superman if there's even a 1% chance he could be evil as well as anyone in my way' Batman.

Magik didn't kill Belasco.jpg

I wish I could make the image larger, but that's Illyana claiming that she killed Belasco in an issue written by Simonsen in 1988, which contradicts what actually happened. She says "I killed my master in Limbo, and gained his kingdom for my own. I'll kill you too, if only I can..."

According to Simonsen this ends with Illyana cutting off Belasco's head with no negative consequences.

magik spares belasco.jpg
    I actually dropped Louise Simonson's New Mutants after Inferno while it had its moments, for the most part I find her run unpleasant. Funny enough I didn't pick up another New Mutant comic after that until Nunzio Defillipis run.
    Last edited by ComeOnBunny; 10-19-2021 at 04:09 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    To this day I only read the New Mutants part of Inferno because New Mutants has always been the only X-Franchise I cared about until Magik joined the main X-Men books.
    And that was the only very small disappointment for me...that the New Mutants seemed so separate from what was going on between UXM and XF. It was clearly focusing on Magik as the Darkchild which I absolutely loved but I wished the NMs were more involved in the main plot.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!