Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

It always amused me that Jean could handle Maddie well, but both Jean and Doña Storm were harmless kittens facing Natrish, in fact almost murdered them, luckily Rogue was around to help.

Oh great, now it's this.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    You need to start proof reading your posts before submitting them as 3/4's of them are virtually unreadable.
    I'll take the advice now without crying please.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Isn't this just a Jean appreciation topic?
    Better a thread of appreciation from Jean or Maddie than from Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Agatha's Ghost View Post
    Jean Grey was objectively vicious toward Madelyne in Inferno.
    I know, right? I was literally gobsmacked that OP made a thread to praise how kind Jean was to Maddie during Inferno all things considered.
    Please, if you're going to troll, dears, at least do it using something halfway factually true. Your flagrant attempts are not only utterly transparent and brimming with disingenuity, they seem like the mad rantings of two goblins pining for something to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Enough with the Storm hate already. It's pissing me off.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Facts. Inferno is first and foremost a New Mutants story for me; one of the best.
    I kind of agree with this? The New Mutants and X-Terminators really steal the show. I mean, Jean has her amazing moment during the climax, but they're all over this story. Illyana is amazing in this.

For sure, Inferno is honestly a masterclass in how to do a crossover correctly imo. All of the teams have something substantive to do, the scale of the story is huge and has lasting ramifications on the line, there's a lot of interesting character work, feats, etc. Inferno is why I'm so happy to see Wiz Kid in SWORD.

Fantastic Member

Interesting that you now have a problem with Storm after spewing your hatred for Synch all over the forum for weeks, calling him an IT and so on. I'm seeing a pattern here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Please, if you're going to troll, dears, at least do it using something halfway factually true. Your flagrant attempts are not only utterly transparent and brimming with disingenuity, they seem like the mad rantings of two goblins pining for something to eat.

U wot? Apologies that I don't worship at the alter of Saint Jean the kind and perfect but this isn't an appreciation thread and we're actually allowed to have our own opinions without you throwing a tantrum and calling us trolls.

If you don't like hearing other people's very valid and also commonly held opinions then perhaps you should stick to the echo chamber appreciation threads?

U wot? Apologies that I don't worship at the alter of Saint Jean the kind and perfect but this isn't an appreciation thread and we're actually allowed to have our own opinions without you throwing a tantrum and calling us trolls.
    And I’m actually allowed to point out that your seemingly biased opinion is baseless. I mean, “vicious”? Really? Jean was considerate and supportive of Madelyne when it counted the most: When she first found out about her and for a long span of time after, and during her darkest moment, even though the woman tried killing her and violated her parents, not to mention the others she harmed and attempted to murder.

Of course, please do post a panel or two of Jean saying something critical of Madelyne as if that reveals anything untoward about Jean, lest we forgot that the same sainthood you detractors are always going on about is usually the standard by which you, not Jean’s fans, measure her. By the way, did Jean attack and try killing her? I would love to see the scans.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    For sure, Inferno is honestly a masterclass in how to do a crossover correctly imo. All of the teams have something substantive to do, the scale of the story is huge and has lasting ramifications on the line, there's a lot of interesting character work, feats, etc. Inferno is why I'm so happy to see Wiz Kid in SWORD.
    This is very true. Everybody, even obscure characters, gets a moment to shine. I loved Wiz Kid’s arc in this.
    Last edited by Mercury; 09-28-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Fantastic Member

My opinion is biased? Lol ok. Next you'll be trying to claim that she was sweet and supportive to Rachel when she told her the truth about her lineage.

Also I'm not going through dozens of my old X-Factor issues to prove a point because A) I don't really care about this discussion and B) imagine having the free time to actually do that and C) this story was 30+ years ago and also it was **** so who cares.

My opinion is biased? Lol ok. Next you'll be trying to claim that she was sweet and supportive to Rachel when she told her the truth about her lineage.
    Jean was definitely not receptive to or supportive of Rachel when she first found out she was her daughter from an alternate timeline. In fact, she rejected her.

Then again, she had recently come back from the dead only to shortly after find out she lost six years of her life, had been cloned twice, and had crimes committed, literally, in her name and her character, literally, dragged through hell. Not to mention, the serious murderous attempts on her life and on the lives of her loved ones that were made.

I suppose she should’ve been beaming with joy at finding out there was yet another version of herself with another life she was not privy to. Please.

Also I'm not going through dozens of my old X-Factor issues to prove a point because A) I don't really care about this discussion and B) imagine having the free time to actually do that and C) this story was 30+ years ago and also it was **** so who cares.
    Good, because I have two-three substantial examples to back up my claims for every feeble example you may have.
    Last edited by Mercury; 09-28-2021 at 09:45 AM.

WTF..... storm saved ???? LOL XD
    I remember it was a team effort and the one who weakened him the most to banish him was Rogue not Storm.

What time giving storm more credit than he actually has, surprise me?
    Not at all.
    LOL
    Are you… okay? This literally says Storm’s team because she was the leader. Just like if we were talking about Carey’s run we’d say “Rogue’s team” or we would say “Kate’s team” with Marauders. Doesn’t mean the other team members didn’t have significant roles.

Also we all gotta chill out with the stone throwing over these fictional characters. It’s not worth it.

Extraordinary Member

The original Inferno has moments of greatness, but I've always found it overrated.

Outside of the introduction of Minister Sinister, which had been built-up nicely since he was name-dropped in Mutant Massacre 2 years earlier, I don't find much to enjoy in the story. What they did to Madelyn Prior always struck me as 'victim blaming' and a cheap way to get Scott off the hook for running out on her and baby Nathan while setting him up to get back together with Jean. Claremont made it work by keeping Madelyn sympathetic, but the X-Factor issues seemed to contradict that with how irredeemably evil she was depicted there. The New Mutants parts I used to wish could be excised from history. Simonsen never got Magik right and seems to have misremembered what happened in her origin story - namely that she spared Belasco and didn't kill him. Simonsen has Magik state that she killed Belasco in another comic, which is the sort of mistake which I doubt any editor would let pass today, and everything about the New Mutants issues leading up to and during Inferno seem to be based on that misconception, including the existence of N'Astirh. who should have been Belasco. Between the warped characterization and absence of the villain Claremont wrote multiple times would return for one final showdown it felt like Magik got cheated out of her real and proper ending and so the character never got closure. There were also some pretty glaring plot holes which - to be fair - she intended to resolve in a later story, but since she left before she could and no one after her took them up remained as plot holes.

The New Mutants parts are somewhat better in retrospect since Magik's return since they can be taken not as an ending but part of her development, and her sacrifice and deaging taken as a mistake and not the correct solution to her problems. Quest for Magik and Fall/Rise of the New Mutants are in a sense the story Inferno should have been. The Maddie parts don't have that luxury since she's always been Scott's crazy villain ex-wife since then.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 09-28-2021 at 10:15 AM.

*Reads thread, sees the usual salt, exits.*
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

baumblume

i dont like Maddies ABUSE and she is a rapist
    Maddie hits Scott . She hits him hard enough to knock him off his feet and into a table

he reality is that they haven’t been together very long when she does this. Who’s to say this was an isolated incident and not an early red flag. Particularly since Maddie will engage in incredibly violent behavior towards Scott once the relationship is over. While I would argue that Maddie’s interactions with Limbo foundationally change her as a person, she is still Maddie. And she eventually tries to kill Scott

Maddie, then this moment becomes a lot more sinister as a precursor to this later violence. Ultimately though, I wonder how much deciding whether or not this moment is an instance of abuse matters. Because what’s almost equally troubling to me here is how Scott reacts.
    Scott immediately turns to self-blame
    nobody deserves non-consensual acts upon them especially by a loved one.

She Rape him
    Uncanny X-Men #503 11 & 23
    later still, she will rape Scott by impersonating his then-girlfriend Emma

loving relationships don't include Abuse or sexual abuse
    Nobody, man or woman, should be in a situation where they are engaging in any kind of sexual activity against their will.
    Domestic violence against men is one of the most underrated domestic crimes.
    Last edited by baumblume; 09-28-2021 at 10:32 AM.

baumblume

You can't criticise Scott for the Madelyne Pryor stuff,Maddie just mind rape him. This is pretty simple guys: if you're unable to give your consent (because you're unable to actually understand who you're having sex with) it's rape. He didn't cheat on Maddie when he went to visit Jean they didn't kiss or anything and then he returned only to find out that Maddie had left Alaska and sinister had wiped all traces of her. Obviously, there's no real world allegory and everyone's interpretations can differ, but in my opinion, using telepathy to force someone into consenting to a sexual relationship is rape. :-)