Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    i dont like Maddies ABUSE and she is a rapist
    Maddie hits Scott . She hits him hard enough to knock him off his feet and into a table

he reality is that they haven’t been together very long when she does this. Who’s to say this was an isolated incident and not an early red flag. Particularly since Maddie will engage in incredibly violent behavior towards Scott once the relationship is over. While I would argue that Maddie’s interactions with Limbo foundationally change her as a person, she is still Maddie. And she eventually tries to kill Scott

Maddie, then this moment becomes a lot more sinister as a precursor to this later violence. Ultimately though, I wonder how much deciding whether or not this moment is an instance of abuse matters. Because what’s almost equally troubling to me here is how Scott reacts.
    Scott immediately turns to self-blame
    nobody deserves non-consensual acts upon them especially by a loved one.

She Rape him
    Uncanny X-Men #503 11 & 23
    later still, she will rape Scott by impersonating his then-girlfriend Emma

loving relationships don't include Abuse or sexual abuse
    Nobody, man or woman, should be in a situation where they are engaging in any kind of sexual activity against their will.
    Domestic violence against men is one of the most underrated domestic crimes.
    I never knew about some of this. You’ve given me much to think about.

Extraordinary Member

Issues of Uncanny from its 500s are irrelevant when discussing creative decisions made when the book was in the 200s 20 years earlier. Madelyn remaining a villain in the years following Inferno and doing villainous things in that period doesn't change the fact that she only became a villain in the first place because Scott walked out on her and their baby with no explanation and was a deadbeat and Marvel scrambled to get him off the hook when they realized how bad that looked. Unless you're arguing that she was raping him when they were married? Which makes no sense whatsoever.

Extraordinary Member

I don't know, a character is just there to make the story more exciting, especially a supporting character with relation to the main characters, and Maddie provided some really interesting and dramatic moments for the time. The character was just added as a Jean replacement anyway. Splitting up Scott and Maddie gave them three years of sub plots and an iconic villain. It is probably a good sign people feel so strong about it, but I can assure you the writers did not have any sympathy.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    You can't criticise Scott for the Madelyne Pryor stuff,Maddie just mind rape him. This is pretty simple guys: if you're unable to give your consent (because you're unable to actually understand who you're having sex with) it's rape. He didn't cheat on Maddie when he went to visit Jean they didn't kiss or anything and then he returned only to find out that Maddie had left Alaska and sinister had wiped all traces of her. Obviously, there's no real world allegory and everyone's interpretations can differ, but in my opinion, using telepathy to force someone into consenting to a sexual relationship is rape. :-)
    That is factually sexual abuse. It doesn't need to be violent to be abuse, it just needs to ignore consent.

The only thing that is arguable is if that was really Madelyne.

The real Madelyne, though, wasn't a saint either. That punch isn't the only questionable thing she did prior (no pun intended) to X-Factor. But I don't want to turn this into a hate thread towards her, so I'll leave it at that. If anyone is curious about what I mean, please, feel free to PM me.

baumblume

she took advantage of a emotional vulnerable Scott summers. I'm surprised that there are people who support their relationship. Maddie also never got called out for this, and the narrative never punished her for it, which is unfair IMO.

BANNED

Awriiiiigggghhhht! Rogue saves Storm and Marvel Girl

BANNED

Thanks to fighting The Magus ruler of the technarchy in the past, Rogue is immune to N'astirh's technarch transmode virus.

BANNED

Go Iceman!

Go Colossus!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I don't know, a character is just there to make the story more exciting, especially a supporting character with relation to the main characters, and Maddie provided some really interesting and dramatic moments for the time. The character was just added as a Jean replacement anyway. Splitting up Scott and Maddie gave them three years of sub plots and an iconic villain. It is probably a good sign people feel so strong about it, but I can assure you the writers did not have any sympathy.
    Claremont did. Granted, she was his creation, but the entire story turned him into a hater of Cyclops. He almost quit the X-books he was so angry about Jean coming back and Scott walking out on Madelyn.

One other thing that certain 'heroes become villains' stories do that get on my nerves is when the story nullifies all the good the character had previously done. Emerald Twilight and Zero Hour didn't negate Hal Jordan's earlier heroism even at the time. The Dark Phoenix Saga didn't negate Jean's heroics and the ending solidified them. Other stories don't do that, like Batman War Games, which while not making Stephanie Brown into a villain negated every good thing she had ever done and all character development she ever had until then. That was the biggest problem with the 'Captain America was hydra all along' story even though everyone knew it wouldn't go that way in the end. Whatever her flaws, Maddie was a character who was willing to lay down her life in Fall of the Mutants and did so alongside the X-Men, who stood by the X-Men through thick and thin and went through hell trying to find her son. All of that was negated. Her giving up her life to save the world doesn't matter.

baumblume

Sinisters ABUSE on Kid Scott.

Maddelyne's powers as Goblin Queen originate from Limbo, right? So Magik could have an influence on Maddie's powers, since she's the ruling regent there...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Maddelyne's powers as Goblin Queen originate from Limbo, right? So Magik could have an influence on Maddie's powers, since she's the ruling regent there...
    The primary source of her power is a fraction of the Phoenix Force, with the Limbo magic serving as the 'push' that activated it. The reason N'Astirh and S'ym came to her in the first place was to control that part of the Phoenix she possessed. One of N'Astirh's minions pointed out the irony in how much trouble N'Astirh went through to try to get part of the Phoenix while Rachel had the Phoenix Force the whole time. At this point they were treated the Phoenix Force more like an actual flame where a piece of it could be taken off and the original wouldn't lose anything. That was changed with AvX.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The primary source of her power is a fraction of the Phoenix Force, with the Limbo magic serving as the 'push' that activated it. The reason N'Astirh and S'ym came to her in the first place was to control that part of the Phoenix she possessed. One of N'Astirh's minions pointed out the irony in how much trouble N'Astirh went through to try to get part of the Phoenix while Rachel had the Phoenix Force the whole time. At this point they were treated the Phoenix Force more like an actual flame where a piece of it could be taken off and the original wouldn't lose anything. That was changed with AvX.
    O Thanks, Maddie still carries traces of Limbo Magic, I wish Magik also had more moments like these, and of course using more pure magic, not to corrupt herself, I only see her using her mutant power and her Sword.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Are you talking just about Inferno or the build-up to inferno? As there was a period where Jean slandered Madeylne like every second issue blaming her for Scotts erratic behaviour. This was before she knew she was her clone. This continued even after Madeylne "died" by going through the Seige Perilous and Storms team saved the world from the Adversary
    I think you mean this, in which to be fair, Jean did have a point that Madelyne should have made an effort to contact Scott somehow if she was capable of running around with the X-Men. True, Madelyne was in a coma for a brief time, but Jean wouldn’t know that.

From Jean’s perspective, Scott was torturing himself for abandoning a woman who was running around with the X-Men who made no effort to let him know she and the baby were safe. Or even what happened to the baby if it wasn’t safe. That was the “slandering” you are referring to and it wasn’t slandering. Jean literally did have a point, even if some of the details are lost on her. She does eventually feel empathy Madelyne’s point of view in the end. Jean was not being malicious or cold-hearted.

Saying Jean slandered Madelyne is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Are you… okay? This literally says Storm’s team because she was the leader. Just like if we were talking about Carey’s run we’d say “Rogue’s team” or we would say “Kate’s team” with Marauders. Doesn’t mean the other team members didn’t have significant roles.

Also we all gotta chill out with the stone throwing over these fictional characters. It’s not worth it.
    I agree with this. I mean, Jean’s perspective against Madelyne were valid discussion pieces at first, but now it’s devolved to trying to one-up each other’s favorites.