Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Are you talking just about Inferno or the build-up to inferno? As there was a period where Jean slandered Madeylne like every second issue blaming her for Scotts erratic behaviour. This was before she knew she was her clone. This continued even after Madeylne "died" by going through the Seige Perilous and Storms team saved the world from the Adversary
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    WTF..... storm saved ???? LOL XD
    I remember it was a team effort and the one who weakened him the most to banish him was Rogue not Storm.
    Team effort yes...

What time giving storm more credit than he actually has, surprise me?
    Not at all.
    LOL

BANNED

Marvel Girl reacts angrily???
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    I think you mean this, in which to be fair, Jean did have a point that Madelyne should have made an effort to contact Scott somehow if she was capable of running around with the X-Men. True, Madelyne was in a coma for a brief time, but Jean wouldn’t know that.

From Jean’s perspective, Scott was torturing himself for abandoning a woman who was running around with the X-Men who made no effort to let him know she and the baby were safe. Or even what happened to the baby if it wasn’t safe. That was the “slandering” you are referring to and it wasn’t slandering. Jean literally did have a point, even if some of the details are lost on her. She does eventually feel empathy Madelyne’s point of view in the end. Jean was not being malicious or cold-hearted.

Saying Jean slandered Madelyne is just wrong.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I should be mid-dream by now, but I was just slayed and resurrected. I just finished reading the first battle between Jean and Madelyne during the original Inferno event (X-Factor #38 [1989]) and was blown the f**k away. The strength and empathy Jean displays here is just… ::chef’s kiss:: From the very beginning, she was so caring towards and considerate of Madelyne, and continued being so even after she was assaulted and her parents and friends were violated by her. I did feel a little for Madelyne too, though.

This is why I love Jean Grey (the entire fight this is at the link):

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jean_RED_...47625250308100

��❤️
    Sorry, Inferno was just out-and-out garbage. The Forge/Storm/X-men intro parts of it were ok, but the X-factor-especially the Jean Grey parts were just plain trash.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 09-29-2021 at 10:32 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Facts. Inferno is first and foremost a New Mutants story for me; one of the best.
    You mean one of the worst, don't you? Illyana wasn't the only one who got deaged in that mess....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    sorry, inferno was just out-and-out garbage.
    GREAT!
    the forge/storm/x-men intro parts of it were ok,
    AWESOME!
    but the x-factor-especially the jean grey parts were just plain trash.
    TERRIFIC!
    Quote Originally Posted by 616marvelyear is leapyear View Post
    as far as i'm concerned weezie did a magnificent job regarding the phoenix-entity, marvel girl and madelyne pryor
    The Phoenix Saga began in Uncanny X-Men #101 which featured the first appearance
    of the Phoenix-Entity who usurped Marvel Girl's civilian identity, Jean Grey.

The Dark Phoenix Saga depicted the Phoenix-Entity devastating a planet. Thanks to MG's copied humanity,
    the Phoenix-Entity, in horror, destroyed its mortal shell in Uncanny X-Men #137 Witness was Cyclops
    and tried to revive Marvel Girl from suspended animation. However, MG rejected it.
    Thanks to MG's rejection the Phoenix-Entity found MG's clone Madelyne Pryor

and gave her life.
    Very CLEVER of the writer Louise Simonson to have Marvel Girl absorb the memories of both the Phoenix-Entity AND Madelyne Pryor

so that in future comics it can be explained how come Marvel Girl remembers everything of what
    happened in Uncanny X-Men#101-137 which featured the Phoenix-Entity who usurped MG's civilian identity, Jean Grey.

MG also remembers everything that Madelyne Pryor experienced in all
    the X-Men comics and every other marvel comics that Madelyne Pryor has been in.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    You mean one of the worst, don't you? Illyana wasn't the only one who got deaged in that mess....
    Absolutely loved that!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Only popping in to say how much I absolutely loved this entire Classic Crossover event.

Carry on.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

If I could go back in time so as to rewrite parts of the X-line leading to and including Inferno.

Instead of Madelyn being a Jean lookalike, have that be one of Mastermind's illusions and after he's defeated it's revealed she doesn't have more than a passing resemblance to Jean. That keeps the Mastermind story intact while avoiding any issues of Madelyn being not-Jean and changes the dynamics when they bring Jean back. No need for the Goblin Queen to exist at all. I'd also prefer to keep Jean dead to maintain the integrity of the DPS and stop the revolving door of death and rebirth comics became after her resurrection opened the floodgates, but if Jean has to come back, she and Scott can still develop as characters without having to be together, and her return shows how much Scott has matured sand grown since DPS instead of turning him into a stunted man-child like the original X-Factor did.

Write out N'Astirh entirely and replace him with Belasco. Reveal that Belasco has been manipulating things behind the scenes for some time to try to break Magik to get her to return to his side. S'ym was always loyal to him and obeyed Illyana on his orders. He was the one who transported Magus to Limbo to infect the demons with the transmode virus to make them stronger and rebel. Inferno becomes primarily the struggle between Illyana and Belasco, and at the end Illyana sacrifices herself to kill Belasco and seal off Limbo from earth for good. Instead of being deaged she dies and neither she or Belasco ever comes back since their stories are complete. Kitty keeps the soul sword but doesn't bother with Limbo since it's sealed away for good.

Mr. Sinister gets his own crossover dedicated solely to him and his manipulations of Scott over the decades.

BANNED

To me the integrity of the DPS remains intact with Marvel Girl aka the TRUE Jean Grey alive.

When Dark Phoenix exterminated 5 billion people on planet B'Dari

and afterwards
    (while being attacked by Captain Juber and his crew which they were IN THE RIGHT to do so)

also killed Captain Juber and his crew

Dark Phoenix was 100% a super-villainess.

Dark Phoenix being the TRUE Jean Grey means to me that the TRUE Jean died as a super-villainess.
    I will never-ever see Phoenix committing suicide as the true Jean dying a super-heroine death.

That's why I was OVERJOYED when the Avengers and later the Fantastic Four discovered Marvel Girl in suspended animation her last appearance being on the last page and on the last panel of Uncanny X-Men #100.
    Marvel Girl aka the TRUE Jean Grey was ABSOLVED from exterminating the 5 billion people on planet B'Dari and from killing Captain Juber and his crew.

I will ALWAYS be grateful to Jim Shooter to approve of Kurt Busiek's way of ABSOLVING Marvel Girl from those UNFORGIVABLE acts and to John Byrne for incorporating it in his story.

Ah these scans are bringing me back in the best way. I loved Inferno.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Holy Moley! look at those to me way cool looks the marvel characters Storm, Psylocke and Marvel Girl are sporting.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Holy Moley! look at those to me way cool looks the marvel characters Storm, Psylocke and Marvel Girl are sporting.
    this also absolutely my favorite Psylocke incarnation of all times. Wished we would get her back!

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Write out N'Astirh entirely and replace him with Belasco. Reveal that Belasco has been manipulating things behind the scenes for some time to try to break Magik to get her to return to his side. S'ym was always loyal to him and obeyed Illyana on his orders. He was the one who transported Magus to Limbo to infect the demons with the transmode virus to make them stronger and rebel. Inferno becomes primarily the struggle between Illyana and Belasco, and at the end Illyana sacrifices herself to kill Belasco and seal off Limbo from earth for good. Instead of being deaged she dies and neither she or Belasco ever comes back since their stories are complete. Kitty keeps the soul sword but doesn't bother with Limbo since it's sealed away for good.
    I think that was kind of the initial plan. But the Jean situation made them exchange Illyana for Maddie as the final boss in Inferno.

Regarding Sinister, I just wish Claremont explored the reason behind the Mutant Massacre. What we ended up getting in the 90s was very meh.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I think that was kind of the initial plan. But the Jean situation made them exchange Illyana for Maddie as the final boss in Inferno.

Regarding Sinister, I just wish Claremont explored the reason behind the Mutant Massacre. What we ended up getting in the 90s was very meh.
    If true, that's one more reason why the Jean/Maddie situation was terrible. But I believe Louise Simonsen really thought Illyana had killed Belasco in the Magik series and that's why N'Astirh was created. She wrote a comic in which Illyana claimed to have killed Belasco and other characters asked her how she did it. That also explains why Illyana's characterization changed so drastically from Claremont to Simonsen.

If the Jean/Maddie situation really had to be resolved at that moment and that's the reason they didn't include Belasco, then the Magik story should have been dropped entirely and picked up only when Belasco could have been used. The whole Illyana part of the story was a waste. Even its best scene, the scene where the New Mutants see S'ym beating her younger self, destroys any sense of continuity because it's impossible to have occurred in the timeline of the Magik mini series. If Simonsen had bothered to consult that story, she would have known that Illyana would have been 3 years older, already mastered the sword, and had 2 bloodstones created from her soul by the time that could have possibly happened. Of course, she'd also have known that Illyana had decided not to kill Belasco. It's just more evidence that she didn't do the most basic research and none of the editors cared enough to correct such mistakes. It's really like if Luke Skywalker went around telling people he stabbed Darth Vader to death.

If true, that's one more reason why the Jean/Maddie situation was terrible. But I believe Louise Simonsen really thought Illyana had killed Belasco in the Magik series and that's why N'Astirh was created. She wrote a comic in which Illyana claimed to have killed Belasco and other characters asked her how she did it. That also explains why Illyana's characterization changed so drastically from Claremont to Simonsen.
    Ooh how so??
    If the Jean/Maddie situation really had to be resolved at that moment and that's the reason they didn't include Belasco, then the Magik story should have been dropped entirely and picked up only when Belasco could have been used. The whole Illyana part of the story was a waste. Even its best scene, the scene where the New Mutants see S'ym beating her younger self, destroys any sense of continuity because it's impossible to have occurred in the timeline of the Magik mini series. If Simonsen had bothered to consult that story, she would have known that Illyana would have been 3 years older, already mastered the sword, and had 2 bloodstones created from her soul by the time that could have possibly happened. Of course, she'd also have known that Illyana had decided not to kill Belasco. It's just more evidence that she didn't do the most basic research and none of the editors cared enough to correct such mistakes. It's really like if Luke Skywalker went around telling people he stabbed Darth Vader to death.
    Ugh Time Travel hurts my head
    GrindrStone(D)