Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Decorum #8 is pushed back yet again...

... now scheduled for 11/3. If I recall correctly, wasn't this solicited originally for late April?
    Hickman and Huddleston have had the time to post new material on Hickman's Substack. I wonder why it's been so difficult to just get this last issue of the mini out and done with?

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    ... now scheduled for 11/3. If I recall correctly, wasn't this solicited originally for late April?
    Hickman and Huddleston have had the time to post new material on Hickman's Substack. I wonder why it's been so difficult to just get this last issue of the mini out and done with?
    Substack is digital and doesn't have to deal with all the issues print does right now, printers facing labor and supply shortages and not being able to deliver books on time, refusing new orders because they cannot fit them in their schedules, delays in shipping because of labor shortages in truck drivers and ship crews, Covid embargos at ports, etc.

Bleeding Cool just had an article about all the obstacles printing and distribution are currently facing and how it will continue to impact release dates and other aspects of the comics industry on their site yesterday...

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/majo...mics-industry/

so seeing delays in books is going to be the norm. And it's not just comics affected. Wizards of the Coast in their future of D&D online event announced a major gift pack product (a 3 book set in slipcase) they wanted to have available for the holiday season to get the sales form that season on it won't be released until January because of printing and shipping delays they face getting a product to market.

So I would say, get used to seeing many many comics and trade releases get pushed back frequently until we are on the other side of these types of obstacles, and that digital releases will be more common as they are the only way to guarantee release dates won't get snafu'ed by these types of situations.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Yup, I get all of that. But, this was solicited for April. And it keeps slipping a week or two at a time since the original release date. Leads me to think this is more of a creative team issue than a printing issue. Although, come to think of it, by this point, if they were still working on it, it may now be a printing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Yup, I get all of that. But, this was solicited for April. And it keeps slipping a week or two at a time since the original release date. Leads me to think this is more of a creative team issue than a printing issue. Although, come to think of it, by this point, if they were still working on it, it may now be a printing issue.
    Exactly, even though they may have finished it, there's now a backlog of material, a lot of it delayed due to pandemic issues that is bottlenecking at printers facing paper and labor shortages, and work done later but only being released digitally will reach the market sooner because it circumvents all they issues delaying print publications at this point. So it isn't surprising that say substack material produced after stuff that will be released in print actually gets released sooner than the print material.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Substacks baybee, that's where all of the attention is going towards

Astonishing Member

If I understand correctly Substack is a digital comic reading platform, yes? Is it planned to collect the material in Trade paperback format?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    If I understand correctly Substack is a digital comic reading platform, yes? Is it planned to collect the material in Trade paperback format?
    I believe it's a subscription newsletter and the newsletter has comic material serialized within it. It's not a platform, its content (comics and otherwise) delivered to you when you pay a subscription fee. The creators are free to bring the material to print publishers as they retain ownership of it. So it is up to the creators if it will be collected and released in print (assuming they find a publisher willing to take it, which shouldn't be an issue in most cases considering the talent involved).

-M

Astonishing Member

Thanks for clearing that up.

Hm, not my thing. I wouldn't subscribe to a newsletter, but would be interested in buying physical trades of good stuff. We will see what they will do.

Extraordinary Member

In his October 4th newsletter on Substack, Hickman mentioned that Mike Huddleston had wrapped up art on Decorum last week and it was being sent to press this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    In his October 4th newsletter on Substack, Hickman mentioned that Mike Huddleston had wrapped up art on Decorum last week and it was being sent to press this week.
    That's good to hear.

As for Substack, what's it like? Have they started producing any comics, and is it worth the money so far?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    That's good to hear.

As for Substack, what's it like? Have they started producing any comics, and is it worth the money so far?
    In terms of actual comic content they've only produced 1 8-page story so far - they have been pumping out a ton of what would be backmatter content in a trade, world building notes from Hickman, design notes from the Mike del Mundo and Mike Huddleston, etc. - below is an example, post should be public: https://3w3m.substack.com/p/duels-process

Also had a live stream of Hickman interviewing Grant Morrison.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I thought for sure we were gonna get the final issue tomorrow!

Seriously though I hope we get it soon *cries in Hickman*

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I thought for sure we were gonna get the final issue tomorrow!

Seriously though I hope we get it soon *cries in Hickman*
    Ha. Well, this time the slip was *only* one week, and at the last minute. So... I'm just gonna be stupidly optimistic and look forward to it next week!

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Is Decorum good, guys?

I picked up #1 and quickly realised they, for me, this was something I’d have to read when completed.

All-New Member

Gotta love Hickman. I was upset he left X-Men, but honestly it might be a good thing. Guy has the hardest time finishing stories.
    slope game
    Last edited by kasieproctor; 06-22-2022 at 08:02 PM.