Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default S.W.O.R.D. #8 Review...Then We Are Done! *SPOILERS*

Very interest issue focused on Storm and her burgeoning relationship with the mutants of Arakko as their Regent.

Synopsis
    The issue opens with the preview pages of Storm in space, cloaked in an atmospheric bubble, looking down on the planet Arakko (formerly Mars). As she descends back to the planet's surface, she touches on her choice to do this under her own power and not use the gate to access the SWORD station, as she recognized that the Arakkii only respects those who can defend their world, and this was her way of demonstrating her capabilities. She would not break for Arrako. Not yet. On the surface we enter the Circle Perilous, a combat arena tied to the Arakkii tradition of challenging their opposition to gain power. In this instance, Calderak, a mutant with the look of a volcano given life, challenges Storm for her seat as the Regent of Arakko.

The commentary between Frenzy and Khora is great here, setting the tone for the significance and risk tied to this Arakkii tradition. Arriving late but in style Storm’s presence is made known by a single snowflake that appears behind Calderak. A moment later freezing winds rip into him, extinguishing his fiery hide as the “Weather Witch” ends his challenge and asks him to yield, as she has a meeting to attend.

As Storm arrives to the Great Ring, she greeted her fellow Arakkii council members. In response a speeding blades cuts through the air directly at her face. Storm caught the blade, which was spoken into existence by the omega mutant Lodus Logos and takes her seat at the Table of Day to begin the meeting. The purpose of the meeting was to address a growing tension with a fellow council member, Tarn the Uncaring. For those of us reading Hellions (highly recommended) we know that Tarn is a powerful omega with a dangerous and disturbing ability. Storm warned him that he was not permitted to step foot on Krakoa, as she is still a member of the Quiet Council, and an act against Krakoa will be taken as an act against her. Tarn’s personality is deliciously and appropriately arrogant, and he responds dismissively to Storm’s threat as nothing more than hot air. A fart lol! Storm accepts his challenge and tells him to meet her in the Circle Perilous. We see a flashback with Storm fighting “herself” in the Circle that will hopefully be expanded on later, but it is noted as how Storm earned her seat as the Regent of Arakko. Storm heads to the Circle, telling Tarn to meet her there.

An hour later Storm hovers above the Circle, looking down at Tarn. With a flash of his glowing eyes Storm falls to the ground, her dna instantly edited and her powers removed. To add insult to injury Tarn grotesquely and painfully disfigures the Wind Rider, naming her Ororo the “Earth-Crawler”, and giving her writhing tentacles and warping her the left side of her body. In spite of the grievous injury Storm pushes forward to Tarn, carefully hiding the blade hurled at her earlier by Lodus Logos. She strategically plunged the blade into Tarn’s chest, resting it right against his heart. Storm warns Tarn that if she sees his eyes glow she will touch the blade. She only needed 1 touch to end his life. Tarn warned Storm he could kill her with a thought. A stand-off. Looking in his eye unwaveringly Storm tells him to take his chance. Tarn, unwilling to take the risk of death, yields to Storm.
    Impressed by her cunning and ruthlessness, Tarn dubs Ororo “Storm the Uncaring” and restores her back to normal in both body and power. The issue closes with Storm telling herself she will not break for Arakko. For she knows storms, and when they do break…their true face is revealed.

Review
    I really enjoyed this issue. We got a lot unpacked about the culture and mentality of the Arakkii mutants. Besides the Circle Perilous we also get a Data page about the seats of the Great Ring, who is currently on the Council, and we get to see some of the abilities from other omegas.

I think the story was well paced, had good action and clear intent as to what Ewing wanted to express here. He has a nice take on the characters voices and interactions, especially Storm’s persona and point of view from this new role she is in. We see how she has been challenged and continues to be tested by the Arakkii. It was also pretty damn awesome to see some creative power use as well for Ororo (it’s been a while). Frenzy, Khora and Wiz Kid continue to be a great cast for this book, and fitting support for Ororo on Arakko. I would love to see more interaction with Storm and Frenzy especially. I feel like, if this cast continues on in another title once SWORD ends, there are some interesting relationship dynamics to explore here. Plus, I am loving her gala costume.

We have seen this type of challenge before for Storm so it does have a feel of “been there done that”, but over all a very solid issue and I am looking forward to more of Ewing on this book.

Solid 8/10 for me.
    Last edited by Wind Rider; 09-29-2021 at 02:56 PM.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Between this issue, Wolverine #16 and Inferno it was a great week IMO. Storm was badass in this one. Great spotlight issue on her. Really hoping Ewing gets to keep writing her and OG Cable beyond December!

Just incase some of you forgot..."Storm will cut a B1tch!!!!!"
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 09-29-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Between this issue, Wolverine #16 and Inferno it was a great week IMO. Storm was badass in this one. Great spotlight issue on her. Really hoping Ewing gets to keep writing her and OG Cable beyond December!
    From your ears. I am loving unlimited on comixogy cause i can cut off all writers who dont diversify and im good at waiting to read. Today ewing aside from hickam and busiek were the only books i bought.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I hope to see some of these characters remain after whatever changes are happening come January.
    My flag is bacon.

Astonishing Member

Random battle challenges? Mutants who come from a weird dimension where they fought constant battles and developed a "darwinistic" society? Knives thrown at her? Getting her powers canceled? Getting her body physicaly twisted into monstrous forms? Having to attack someone's heart to proof a point?

So Storm basicly goes through a "best of" of difficult moments from her time as X-men in just one day?

Great issue. Ororo absolutely shined and the Arakki are so interesting to me - the two together are gold. She is meant to lead this planet of warriors. The Great Ring is a very interesting bunch.

Tarn continues to entertain me to no end. I'm sorry but I cackled when he called her "Ororo Earth-crawler now."
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I loved the issue. I gave it an 8 out of 10 because i do understand some of the arguments of we have been here recently in maraduers and x of sword but i feel this moment with tarn absolutely had to happen. Ewing continues to be the one writer i happily support at marvel.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I loved the issue. I gave it an 8 out of 10 because i do understand some of the arguments of we have been here recently in maraduers and x of sword but i feel this moment with tarn absolutely had to happen. Ewing continues to be the one writer i happily support at marvel.
    I also understand the complaints but I can’t help the fact that I erased Marauders and XoS from my memory

Its a cool spotlight but I'm still left concerned that with GotG ending and SWORD not looking long for the world that it won't amount to much. Its just hard to get invested with everything so questionable. I think it was better than a lot of the other Storm moments we've gotten that just felt like shallow YAS QUEEN moments that had no depth or importance, but having so many moments like that diminished this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I also understand the complaints but I can’t help the fact that I erased Marauders and XoS from my memory
    I wish I could erase all that from memory lol

Overall great issue. The goddess definitely proved herself today. I love reading about the Arakki so I hope however the line is relaunched later on they continue to get focus. Whatever next world ending event that happens, lets put them in action.

8/10 for me as I'm in the category of being over the having to be powerless to prove her strength AGAIN, and the art could have been better.

Marauders has been delightful. Auntie Emma lead us all.

XoS was one of the most drawn out battle competition stories ever. Big disappoint in HiX era.

My issue with these new Arakki mutants is that I just don't care about them.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I am able to do that but some of those close up shots deserved less than a 10. lol
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

This was a very written review Rider! I didn't enjoy the art but the overall story i thought was good.

One question I do have is who is the mole on the sword team? That smile Khora gave about storm was weird when asked if tarn had completely returned storm to normal.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mighty Member

Enjoyed the issue, a great spotlight issue for Storm.

I find the Arakki mutants interesting and hope we continue to see more from them post Inferno.