Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I honestly have to say somewhere like London or Paris.

There’s more than enough heroes in the US, making her an international hero really makes her stand apart from other heroes. Not to mention the fact that they are cities with incredibly long histories and LOTS of potential for magical/mystical elements.

I also like the idea of her being a nomad with multiple homebases all over the world. Nothing about her really needs to have her tied down to a particular location. When she left the island it was specifically to travel not to find a new home.. Her mission is to "man's world," facilitate global peace. She’s shouldn’t be tied to a particular city in it. Her supporting cast are globetrotters/international and not based in one location. None of her villains are location specific. That is one way that WW is different from most heroes. She is an international hero more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I honestly have to say somewhere like London or Paris.

There’s more than enough heroes in the US, making her an international hero really makes her stand apart from other heroes. Not to mention the fact that they are cities with incredibly long histories and LOTS of potential for magical/mystical elements.

I also like the idea of her being a nomad with multiple homebases all over the world. Nothing about her really needs to have her tied down to a particular location. When she left the island it was specifically to travel not to find a new home.. Her mission is to "man's world," facilitate global peace. She’s shouldn’t be tied to a particular city in it. Her supporting cast are globetrotters/international and not based in one location. None of her villains are location specific. That is one way that WW is different from most heroes. She is an international hero more than anything.
    ^^^That’s an interesting take.
    Reminds me of a story where Martian Manhunter is said to spend a lot of his time outside the U.S. making his recognition factor in Africa, Asia and Australia greater than even Superman.

Boston or Washington.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I say have Diana operate in Gateway City but make it a suburb of Washington DC.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Not impossible, but as it stands Gateway’s a California location (based on San Francisco, supposedly).

I mean, DC can do as they like, blame the change on any number of reboots. I like the idea of Gateway being a suburb though; best of both worlds.

I'd like to see Diana settle in an iconic proxy for Roswell, New Mexico, ..with an ARGUS citadel, at the center of town, and Holliday College, nearby. It's a military industrial town AND a college town, which happens to be the 'X-files Capital of the DC Universe'; hence, a classical Amazon, a Venusian monarch and an Asgardian ..would be perfectly, at home, here. The Candys' Bar-L ranch would be nearby, surrounded by mountains, dusty plains and the wild, storied beauty of the American Southwest.

I've had to call it something in my musings, of course. Steve Trevor's family, the Rockwells, were founders; so, Rockwell City was named for them.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-01-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: clarity, style
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Retired

I favour Washington, D.C.--which was her home base for a few decades. The District of Columbia borders many states, so that allows for stories in these other places. Diana's apartment or house could be in one of these states. Holliday College in another state--West Virginia, I think. Maryland has a navy base. It's close to the Atlantic Ocean, so Diana can fly to Paradise Island--which itself should be in another dimension and she can portal to there and from there and to other places and planes of existence. With Washington (military and government), her residence, the college and the island--you have four primary locations as her base of operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I favour Washington, D.C.--which was her home base for a few decades. The District of Columbia borders many states, so that allows for stories in these other places. Diana's apartment or house could be in one of these states. Holliday College in another state--West Virginia, I think. Maryland has a navy base. It's close to the Atlantic Ocean, so Diana can fly to Paradise Island--which itself should be in another dimension and she can portal to there and from there and to other places and planes of existence. With Washington (military and government), her residence, the college and the island--you have four primary locations as her base of operations.
    Georgetown was the name of an over-militarized, over-monumented proxy for Washington, DC, I once mused might incorporate Holliday College and ARGUS, at the center. The real Georgetown is an affluent historic district, within Washington, DC, ..presently the home of Etta Candy. Throw in some aliens, time-travellers and beings from magical realms, and you have that X-files Capital of the DCU.

I think it's a shame that the Wonder Woman comic has been so starved of that rich Marstonian imagination, for so long, that no writer has envisioned something like a 'Weird City' for Wonder Woman, in eighty years. Keep in mind that the time this sort of thing was happening for Batman and Superman was the post-war Fifties - that's when the WW comic should have been nailing down its iconic city, classic cast and rogues gallery. But, WW was stuck with an writer/editor, who hated the job and really wanted to be writing/editing war stories and Westerns, ..and it shows.

What a shame!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-01-2021 at 09:57 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I was going to say just this. Put it on the coast so the Embassy can float near by.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Not impossible, but as it stands Gateway’s a California location (based on San Francisco, supposedly).

I mean, DC can do as they like, blame the change on any number of reboots. I like the idea of Gateway being a suburb though; best of both worlds.
    I dont think I ever knew this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Georgetown was the name of an over-militarized, over-monumented proxy for Washington, DC, I mused might incorporate Holliday College and ARGUS, at the center. The real Georgetown is an affluent historic district, within Washington, DC, ..presently the home of Etta Candy. Throw in some aliens, time-travellers and beings from magical realms, and you have that X-files Capital of the DCU.
    Yes, this is what Diana's city should consist of, making it a true Gateway for all kinds of shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    ...Yes, this is what Diana's city should consist of, making it a true Gateway for all kinds of shenanigans.
    I agree.

The only reason Diana was in DC, in the first place, was she had a BF, who was a US soldier, ..and it was World War II - comics' Golden Age. We never got to see Wonder Woman re-imagined for a post-war Man's World, the way writers re-imagined almost every other major DC Comics superhero. I don't think editor/writer Bob Kanigher cared, so when Wonder Woman wasn't on Paradise Island (which she was, a lot), her comic was just basically abandoned in dreary war era Washington, ..unloved and under-developed. I really don't care what it's named.

After seeing the 1974 Wonder Woman TV pilot ..and loving that Wonder Woman's best friend, Etta Candy, being a Texas cowgirl, I haven't been able to shake the idea of a re-envisioned Wonderverse springing from the rugged, haunting magic of the American Southwest. Today, Etta would be an African American rancher girl, ..and I Ching, like many Asian Americans, being a resident of a Western city isn't so far-fetched, at all.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-01-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I'd like to see Diana settle in an iconic proxy for Roswell, New Mexico, ..with an ARGUS citadel, at the center of town, and Holliday College, nearby. It's a military industrial town AND a college town, which happens to be the 'X-files Capital of the DC Universe'; hence, a classical Amazon, a Venusian monarch and an Asgardian ..would be perfectly, at home, here. The Candys' Bar-L ranch would be nearby, surrounded by mountains, dusty plains and the wild, storied beauty of the American Southwest.

I've had to call it something in my musings, of course. Steve Trevor's family, the Rockwells, were founders; so, Rockwell City was named for them.
    ^^^I’d love for DC to take a chance on something like this. It’s kinda like…putting Diana at the one point where the DC and Vertigo/Black Label universes meet.

^^^I only found out yesterday!

I don't mean to badmouth our late editor and friend, Bob Kanigher, who is the greatest champion of having a Wonder Woman family, this comic has ever had. In spite of everything he neglected, Bob created 'the Wonders'.

'X-files Capital of the DCU' and cosmic gateway city is an idea that Mizuno, Wonder Scott and I have been chatting up, for a little more, than a year. We each have our own unique ideas about what the city would look like. I almost don't care, since the concept is what I'm excited by...

But a domed, Capitol-like ARGUS citadel, at the center, with a giant laser-eye on the dome, would be way cool!

A fictional city somewhere in Europe like England or France

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I was going to say just this. Put it on the coast so the Embassy can float near by.

Yes, this is what Diana's city should consist of, making it a true Gateway for all kinds of shenanigans.

I like the idea of having the Embassy floating nearby.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Why does the city, when outside the US, have to be European? Why are London and France always mentioned? Why can't Diana "homebase" be in an African country, or a South American city or one in the Middle East?