Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Why does the city, when outside the US, have to be European? Why are London and France always mentioned? Why can't Diana "homebase" be in an African country, or a South American city or one in the Middle East?
    Yeah I'm not particularly interested in Diana spending a lot of time in Europe either (even though I'm european). While I don't support her having a city, the perfect place for her to build a Commune is in TUNISIA.

It's a recently democratic country in Northern Africa that still has some clear gender inequalities. It connects Europe, Africa and the Middle East. It's one of the few places in the world where Diana's feminist agenda is still clearly necessary and yet can be freely expressed, including through protests. It has some beautiful coastal vistas, but also has landscapes similar to the American Southwest some users here champion for.

I would've pitched Morocco (Casablanca), but it's not really democratic from what I gather. And while Tunisia's government is very flawed, the country hasn't been involved in wars, but is surrounded by countries like Libya, where Diana's message of peace is surely needed.
    Last edited by Alpha; 10-01-2021 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yeah I'm not particularly interested in Diana spending a lot of time in Europe either (even though I'm european). While I don't support her having a city, the perfect place for her to build a Commune is in TUNISIA.

It's a recently democratic country in Northern Africa that still has some clear gender inequalities. It connects Europe, Africa and the Middle East. It's one of the few places in the world where Diana's feminist agenda is still clearly necessary and yet can be freely expressed, including through protests. It has some beautiful coastal vistas, but also has landscapes similar to the American Southwest some users here champion for.

I would've pitched Morocco (Casablanca), but it's not really democratic from what I gather. And while Tunisia's government is very flawed, the country hasn't been involved in wars, but is surrounded by countries like Libya, where Diana's message of peace is surely needed.
    That is such an interesting proposition. I would love if a writer who had enough first-hand knowledge about Tunisia wrote a Wonder Woman book like that (where she comes to Patriarch's World by way of Tunisia, not the US). Did DC Comics ever have any kind of book akin to Marvel's What If? It would be an amazing exploration of Diana's views and psyche if her first contact with a world beyond Themyscira was somewhere other than the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I’d love for DC to take a chance on something like this. It’s kinda like…putting Diana at the one point where the DC and Vertigo/Black Label universes meet...
    Yes! The Capital of Weird, in the DCU!

I know the SUPERGIRL TV program did it, first. I don't care. It's not fair that WW got shafted in the Fifties and has languished, without direction for decades. The WW comic needs its own version of 'National City', because it fits the character.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I'm not American but Diana was created by American creators and targeted specifically at an American audience which also makes up her primary readership.

Even though I think Diana is inherently less tied down to one country (patriotic bathing suit aside) than other heroes, it makes sense for her to based primarily in USA.

I don't mind her traveling around the world, exploring and meeting people from other cultures and even facing their problems (though that kind of thing is better left written by someone from those cultures) but at the end of the day 'Mans World' is going to be USA and the western hemisphere in her narrative.

Plus it's not like sexism and misogyny has been resolved in US/Europe anyway. It just takes on new forms every decade or comes back in full force.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Gateway City. She’s a part of the holy Trinity, give her an iconic city of her very own.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Gateway City. She’s a part of the holy Trinity, give her an iconic city of her very own.
    Simply and firmly put, Cat. She's in the Trinity - give her an iconic city, like the others. Show my girl the proper respect.

Supergirl has a city, National City, and Diana doesn't? NIGHTWING has his own city - this is Mr. Shortpants...freaking Robin, ..and he's got his own iconic city? Are you kidding me? Wondy's got no cast, no iconic settings, no superhero family, no new toys - it just feels, like the eds don't...care?

Yeah, yeah...I know. Somebody wants to tell me, "Wonder Woman is special. She doesn't need supporting characters or iconic cities or an origin or real stories, ..and don't mess with STEVE TREVOR, because all she needs is Steve and sisterhood..."

Sorry, kangaboos. Sounds like we're selling butt-coverage, for disinterested editors, and i don't know why we would be doing that.

I'm falling in love, with the hot, new Wonder Girl, Yara Flor - really excited about her! I want a team-up, with her and Diana, Nubia, Siggy, Orion and Artemis! I want to see them hang out and interact, like fans of Batman and Superman. Where's that going to happen?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-03-2021 at 06:14 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Simply and firmly put, Cat. She's in the Trinity - give her an iconic city, like the others. Show my girl the proper respect.

Supergirl has a city, National City, and Diana doesn't? NIGHTWING has his own city - this is Mr. Shortpants...freaking Robin, ..and he's got his own iconic city? Are you kidding me? Wondy's got no cast, no iconic settings, no superhero family, no new toys - it just feels, like the eds don't...care?

Yeah, yeah...I know. Somebody wants to tell me, "Wonder Woman is special. She doesn't need supporting characters or iconic cities or an origin or real stories, ..and don't mess with STEVE TREVOR, because all she needs is Steve and sisterhood..."

Sorry, kangaboos. Sounds like we're selling butt-coverage, for disinterested editors, and i don't know why we would be doing that.

I'm falling in love, with the hot, new Wonder Girl, Yara Flor - really excited about her! I want a team-up, with her and Diana, Nubia, Siggy, Orion and Artemis! I want to see them hang out and interact, like fans of Batman and Superman. Where's that going to happen?
    All. Of. This. Say it louder for those in the back.

I really like the idea of Gateway being a kind of interdimensional crossing point. As part of the Trinity, Diana really should have a fictional city of her own which can reflect her character as well as Gotham and Metropolis reflect their heroes.

That said, I also don't see Diana as the kind of hero to stay in one place. She should be a global presence, going wherever she's needed. But a girl still needs a place to come home to after a long day of work.

However, if we're just talking about the cities as they've actually been portrayed on page, then I gotta go with Washington DC. It fits the political sides of Diana's character in a way the other options don't. I adore Boston, but there's really nothing there that says "Wonder Woman's home!" to me. Same with NYC.

I think I could get excited about Diana moving to Greece or thereabouts too. She doesn't have to stay in the US, and living somewhere like Athens seems like a nice clean fit.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-05-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I have said this multiple times but what if she can live everywhere and nowhere. Gateway city is also a gateway to other cities. So what if in a sense her home can have her easily live in almost every city ? Like she technically does live in D.C. I honestly see that Gateway City could be a secret part of D.C if we really need her to be in D.C. I know someone brought this up before but what if Diana can also travel from time to time in portal or mirrors that Gateway has. And Diana herself can make her own gateways. Overall how I often seen Gateway is a city mixed of Mythical people and creatures, who live along side humans. A safe place to be. Holliday College can existed there

One awesome idea someone brought up is a few of her enemies live there. That unlike the others Gateway is safe and can't be destroy due to a few magically items. Which is why someone like Circe or Cheetah live there.However, one question remains what does Diana home look like.

One idea I like is that Gateway City isn't a place you can just go to. That the Trinity themselves would have to get Diana to take them. Maybe it can be run by Athena? Overall Gateway City could be a city within other cities. Or one city at least.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-05-2021 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I think I could get excited about Diana moving to Greece or thereabouts too. She doesn't have to stay in the US, and living somewhere like Athens seems like a nice clean fit.
    I've never been to Athens, but I don't think Diana would have a particular connection to that place. There's a reason why the amazons left our world.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I have said this multiple times but what if she can live everywhere and nowhere. Gateway city is also a gateway to other cities. So what if in a sense her home can have her easily live in almost every city ? Like she technically does live in D.C. I honestly see that Gateway City could be a secret part of D.C if we really need her to be in D.C. I know someone brought this up before but what if Diana can also travel from time to time in portal or mirrors that Gateway has. And Diana herself can make her own gateways. Overall how I often seen Gateway is a city mixed of Mythical people and creatures, who live along side humans. A safe place to be. Holliday College can existed there

One awesome idea someone brought up is a few of her enemies live there. That unlike the others Gateway is safe and can't be destroy due to a few magically items. Which is why someone like Circe or Cheetah live there.However, one question remains what does Diana home look like.

One idea I like is that Gateway City isn't a place you can just go to. That the Trinity themselves would have to get Diana to take them. Maybe it can be run by Athena? Overall Gateway City could be a city within other cities. Or one city at least.
    Yeah, count me as a fan of the Gateway City idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    All. Of. This. Say it louder for those in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I really like the idea of Gateway being a kind of interdimensional crossing point. As part of the Trinity, Diana really should have a fictional city of her own which can reflect her character as well as Gotham and Metropolis reflect their heroes.

That said, I also don't see Diana as the kind of hero to stay in one place. She should be a global presence, going wherever she's needed. But a girl still needs a place to come home to after a long day of work.

However, if we're just talking about the cities as they've actually been portrayed on page, then I gotta go with Washington DC. It fits the political sides of Diana's character in a way the other options don't. I adore Boston, but there's really nothing there that says "Wonder Woman's home!" to me. Same with NYC.

I really like the idea of Wonder Woman, DC Comics's premier adventure superhero, ..living in a city, that's "..a kind of interdimensional crossing point."

I would like to see some good writer get her out of the big city experience and settle her in a small, military city, in the American Southwest. Her 'Gateway' could be in such a city, as Roswell. Why not?

I also agree that Diana should have an iconic, fictional city of her own - even a surrealistic version of a real-world city - which reflects her character, as much as the idiosyncrasies of Gotham and Metropolis ..reflect their heroes. If that's Washington, DC, why can't it be funhouse version of itself, the way Dick Tracy's Chicago was a larger-than-life, cartoonish version ..of the real Windy City?

We just want what the fans of the other big, important comics already have, ..and have had, since the blamed Fifties and Sixties. We want a WW comic, that looks like the somebodies, who made it, actually give a damn...like they freaking tried.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-05-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    We just want what the fans of the other big, important comics already have, ..and have had, since the blamed Fifties and Sixties. We want a WW comic, that looks like the somebodies, who made it, actually give a damn...like they freaking tried.
    Amen!

I'm not even all that picky about the details. It doesn't have to line up with my own ideas and ideals concerning Diana. As long as it's thoughtful, true to the character, and lovingly crafted with skill and care, I'll be satisfied.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I've never been to Athens, but I don't think Diana would have a particular connection to that place. There's a reason why the amazons left our world.
    And a reason Diana returned, too.

I've never been to Greece either. And maybe it's not the place for her. But this is the region that spawned the Greek myths, so I'm assuming it'd be a quality fit. But I could be wrong; I probably know more about Greek mythology than the current state of affairs in Greece.

I'm just saying I'd accept Diana living outside of the US, but I think if you're gonna do that you should find a spot that is very clearly different from the US, and I dunno if a spot like London is different enough to justify the move, yknow?

~ Black Panther.

As a counterpart to Washington DC maybe it could be Jefferson DC or Franklin DC though I do see the symbolism of Wonder Woman living in a city named after a founding father.