Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Because of her origin maybe? But I like this idea of her having different spots around the world.

Could write her with single bedroom apartments in different countries.

E.g. Mexico
    Merciful Minerva! That is GORGEOUS!!!

BANNED

D.C., but call it Capitol City.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Merciful Minerva! That is GORGEOUS!!!
    Isn’t it though?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    D.C., but call it Capitol City.
    Y'know, I don't hate it if they want to go full in on making all of DC's fictional cities stand-ins for the real ones.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Y'know, I don't hate it if they want to go full in on making all of DC's fictional cities stand-ins for the real ones.
    Metropolis, NY
    Gotham, MA
    Capitol City, D.C.
    Opal City, NV

As unanimously decided by this thread, WW's main city should be:

Pittsberg:

Metropolis, NY
    Gotham, MA
    Capitol City, D.C.
    Opal City, NV
    Illinois would be my pick for Gotham and just make it a stand-in for Chicago.

I rather fictional cities have their own identities rather than being stand ins for real ones.

Metropolis is pretty consistently placed in Delaware while Gotham is in New Jesery and the two cities are separated by the Delaware Bay. See wiki for more: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Metropolis#The_Six_Boroughs

Gateway City seems to be on the West Coast near California according to the wiki: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Gateway_City

I'm torn.

I like the idea of Diana having her own city which can give way to a lot of creative freedom in depicting the history of the city.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of her being in NY or Washington. There is something about her flying next to the UN or being on Capitol Hill with so much history that just chimes with the character.

I guess, it depends on whether, if Diana is an Ambasaddor and which city it makes the most sense to open up an embassy in.

Did YJ ever address which city Diana operated in?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Illinois would be my pick for Gotham and just make it a stand-in for Chicago.
    I prefer Boston, as the NY/Boston distance makes the regular team-ups more plausible, and Metropolis is supposed to be relatively close to Gotham--sometimes just a river apart.

Metropolis Yankees vs Gotham Red Sox.

Central City, IL makes more sense for Chicago.

BANNED

Stand-in cities allow for more character. I like the idea of having Superman deal with New Yorkers, Batman deal with Bostonians, and Wonder Woman deal with foreign dignitaries and folks on Capitol Hill. DC's columns and architecture, museums, and political function serve the Wonder Woman mythos well.

In that case, it might just be better to use actual New Yorkers and Bostonians for that. Why even go through the trouble of calling it Gotham or Metropolis if you don't do anything to give them a unique identity?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    In that case, it might just be better to use actual New Yorkers and Bostonians for that. Why even go through the trouble of calling it Gotham or Metropolis if you don't do anything to give them a unique identity?
    They don't have a unique identity. They're generic, and if you gave them character, they'd be New Yorkers or New Englanders anyway.

Real architecture and monuments ground the characters more than cities that change from writer to writer and artist to artist.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-18-2021 at 05:08 PM.

Artists can barely stay consistent making RL cities look accurate in comics. Writers would have to work within the parameters of a real city. More creative freedom if they had a fictional city to work with so they can flesh out it's history and world better.

Character's won't have unique identities until writers give it to them. Even in that case, it's better to give writers creative freedom to flesh things out better.

BANNED

Artists can barely stay consistent making RL cities look accurate in comics. Writers would have to work within the parameters of a real city. More creative freedom if they had a fictional city to work with so they can flesh out it's history and world better.
    Marvel disproves this, as does Geoff John's Shazam run. I'm sure there are other books that disprove it as well.

Character's won't have unique identities until writers give it to them. Even in that case, it's better to give writers creative freedom to flesh things out better.
    Writers and artists will always want to do their own thing or put their own spin on things, even if it's at the detriment to the overall world. Grounding at least provides some consistency by setting parameters.

I prefer Boston, as the NY/Boston distance makes the regular team-ups more plausible, and Metropolis is supposed to be relatively close to Gotham--sometimes just a river apart.

Metropolis Yankees vs Gotham Red Sox.

Central City, IL makes more sense for Chicago.
    I suppose Gotham does have some New England/Boston elements to it, the Waynes being Old Money WASP types usually. But I guess Gotham in general is an amalgam of city clichés from the past 80 years.

I mainly went for Chicago because of the Nolan films and I also never really liked Metropolis and Gotham being that close to one another. I usually envisioned there was some distance between them.