Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

It doesn't seem like writer of this article even knows what he's writing about.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    ALLLL of this. If WB was smart, they'd go to the folks at "Illumination" and have them make "Superman Smashes The Klan" into a 3d-animated movie.
    Oh God, anyone but them.
    You'd have Superman in a sing off against the Grand Wizard of the Klan.
    Illumination are the worst

Mighty Member

Who takes The Daily Wire or Ben Shapiro seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Oh God, anyone but them.
    You'd have Superman in a sing off against the Grand Wizard of the Klan.
    Illumination are the worst
    Well, in that animation style, then. I'd have said Pixar, but they're owned by Disney so they're out.

Maybe whoever did the Sonic movie...
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

If you consider Superman Smashes the Klan to be politically biased, and especially if you consider it biased against your political ideology/beliefs/party/whatever, the to paraphrase Jim Foxworthy's old redneck joke - "You might be a racist."

This is a perfect book for children, and I can't think of a better one to teach the pretty obvious and foundational fact that, you know, racism is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    ALLLL of this. If WB was smart, they'd go to the folks at "Illumination" and have them make "Superman Smashes The Klan" into a 3d-animated movie.
    It kind of saddens me that it'd have to be 3D, and in a perfect world it'd be a 2D movie, but sadly in today's world you can't have successful theatrical animation unless it's 3D (part of the reason why personally/selfishly I'd prefer a DTV movie over a theatrical). But if it has to be 3D I wouldn't mind a quasi-2D-ish tinged style like Into the Spider-Verse managed. Or maybe get Studio Ghibli to do it, they recently did a 3D movie Earwig and the Witch and that looked alright. With a bigger budget I could see them making it look gorgeous, and as a Japanese anime studio I'd trust them to nail the anime influenced visual style of the OGN in 3D more than most other options, and they still seem to have that original magic that say Pixar seems to have lost.

Sorry, off topic, just like thinking about how to do it as a movie.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well.... Ok.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Who takes The Daily Wire or Ben Shapiro seriously?
    Proud Boys, Boogaloos, KKK, etc.

Unfortunately he's got tons of followers and a huge online presence.

In May 2021, The Daily Wire generated more Facebook engagement on its articles than The New York Times, The Washington Post, NBC News and CNN combined.

The world is a scary place

Astonishing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most fans of modern Superman believe Superman shouldn't be dipping his toes into social issues and should focus on being "non interventionalist". Obviously I as a fan of Golden Age Superman disagree but people that wanted a return to the more "mellow" Superman the modern writers cranked out seem to believe Superman shouldn't be taking sides in human conflicts no matter what. Shouldn't fans of modern Superman at least be somewhat in agreeance with the idea that Superman shouldn't take sides in human affairs no matter how horrible the end results? Isn't that what you guys believe?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Given the universal popularity of SStK here I think it’s pretty obvious that’s just the strawman you use to attack post-crisis fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Given the universal popularity of SStK here I think it’s pretty obvious that’s just the strawman you use to attack post-crisis fans.
    Are we not in the middle of a storyline about Post-Crisis Superman's son having to correct his fathers refusal to get involved?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most fans of modern Superman believe Superman shouldn't be dipping his toes into social issues and should focus on being "non interventionalist". Obviously I as a fan of Golden Age Superman disagree but people that wanted a return to the more "mellow" Superman the modern writers cranked out seem to believe Superman shouldn't be taking sides in human conflicts no matter what. Shouldn't fans of modern Superman at least be somewhat in agreeance with the idea that Superman shouldn't take sides in human affairs no matter how horrible the end results? Isn't that what you guys believe?
    While I usually agree 100% with your stance that post-Crisis Superman sucks, I don't think this is the thread for it.

I don't think Superman fans of any era are taking an issue with a book that pits him against the Klan, and this seems like a needless jab at post-Crisis fans instead of just criticizing how stupid the Daily Wire is.

Are we not in the middle of a storyline about Post-Crisis Superman's son having to correct his fathers refusal to get involved?
    There’s quite a bit more nuance to all this than that. Plus aren’t we also in the middle of a storyline about post-crisis Superman battling a slaver?

I mean your original post is trolling nonsense. I doubt there are any post ost-Crisis Superman fan who believes Superman shouldn’t take sides in human affairs no matter how horrible the end result. It’s a strawman. Only alt right morons take issue with SStK so the idea that a post crisis fan should agree with the Daily Wire is trolling BS.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    While I usually agree 100% with your stance that post-Crisis Superman sucks, I don't think this is the thread for it.

I don't think Superman fans of any era are taking an issue with a book that pits him against the Klan, and this seems like a needless jab at post-Crisis fans instead of just criticizing how stupid the Daily Wire is.
    I'm not saying that they take issue with him standing up to the Klan. That would be PR suicide in modern times, I'm saying that the way they see Superman makes it so that he can only be brave under the right conditions, which is exactly what What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way unintentionally showed. They're fine with him dealing with evils we understand in hindsight but not anything that requires him to get into waters that might be deemed controversial.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm not saying that they take issue with him standing up to the Klan. That would be PR suicide in modern times, I'm saying that the way they see Superman makes it so that he can only be brave under the right conditions, which is exactly what What's so funny about Truth, Justice, and The American Way unintentionally showed. They're fine with him dealing with evils we understand in hindsight but not anything that requires him to get into waters that might be deemed controversial.
    Still have to agree with Yoda here. Your larger point has merit when applied to the perceptions of Superman as a whole, but bringing this up here seems transparently bait-y. Why the need to bring it up at all when there are other threads dealing with the topic?

Even if we disagree with post-Crisis fans, I don't think any fan should be implying a fan with an opposing opinion might somewhat agree with alt-right stuff.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-05-2021 at 08:44 AM.

1) Daily Wire lol. From the people who brought us scaremongering about "cancel culture," naturally.

2) Post-Crisis Superman, at least the first several years, was awesome. Plenty of stories where he dipped his toes in social issues and was an interventionist. It's just that back then they knew how to balance those stories with regular action-adventure, scifi/fantasy, and more mundane slice-of-life stories, too. Superman NOT solving the world's problems was a conceit so that the stories and drama wouldn't have to end. Unlike now, where everyone wants to be really meta and do nothing but write the cliched "What if Superman actually solved real life problems (and since he didn't do so before it shows what a failure he is!)" edgy elseworlds story #23519403. "What if Superman golden age but now!" Everyone now thinks their clever for figuring out that an ongoing Superman line where battle is never-ending isn't compatible with actual real life. In real life, you should absolutely expect a good person with Superman's powers to start a revolution, end world hunger and homelessness, and stop all wars. But in the comic you have to buy into the idea of that not being feasible or a constant stream of supervillains getting in the way. A comic where Superman does all the right things and he's never mundane Clark Kent since people are dying every second and that's selfish, and he's a super cocky alpha alien man in a t-shirt not having to answer to anyone ever is a really boring conflict-devoid superhero comic imo.