Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Default Daily Wire Thinks Superman Smashes The Klan Isn't "Suitable" For Young Readers.

Apparently, according to the Daily Wire, a comic where Superman stops the KKK is not suitable for young readers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/ameri...comics-schools

Screenshot 2021-09-30 19.22.50.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-30 19.23.13.jpg
    Last edited by BBally; 09-30-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So...they like the klan? That's literally the only interpretation I can derive from this.
    Assassinate Putin!

I don't think there's anything egregiously out of place for young readers in the book, personally.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

"Shockingly Obscene Comics... Political bias and sexual deviance... far-left political influence on impressionable young minds... extreme sex and ideology... "

"Far from literary classics that develop reading skills, most are cartoons published in the last few years. Some awkwardly combine typical children’s genres like vampires and wizards with political and sexual bludgeoning:"

Ignoring the sex part because that's about another book that headlines this article so parents would have a bad image about this list of book by YALSA...

To summarize. they're saying that Superman Smashes The Klan is a cartoon that doesn't develop reading skills but an extremely ideological and political bias bludgeoning by the far-left to influence young minds

"Influencing" them to do what? Respect people's differences? Don't hate based on race? The only way to interpret this as "political" is if you have a problem with those ideas.
    Assassinate Putin!

Superman Smashes the Klan should be required reading for all young people.

I'm not even mad. This is a good thing. Obvious propaganda is obvious and the people who take this sh*t seriously weren't reading Smash anyway. Let us be lucky enough for this story to garner some national attention, the blowback will be glorious. Superman is as classically American as apple pie and racism is horrible. Ergo, it's practically Unamerican to dislike Smash.

Plus, it shows Smash is big enough and good enough to make it onto someone's "think of the children!" fake outrage list. That shows they think it's good enough to influence people.

So yeah, please, make a fight out of this. Be the political ideology that hates Captain America, Black Panther, and Superman (and their awards) and see where it gets you.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

This should be filed under: "Tell me you're a racist without telling me you're a racist."
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Ultimate Member

This is much more insidious than it looks.

There's an active push right now against anti-racist books in education from some right-wingers now.

Even literature that features the likes of Rosa Parks is being questioned these days.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This should be filed under: "Tell me you're a racist without telling me you're a racist."
    My immediate thought just looking at the thread title

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Apparently, according to the Daily Wire, a comic where Superman stops the KKK is not suitable for young readers.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/ameri...comics-schools

Screenshot 2021-09-30 19.22.50.jpg

Screenshot 2021-09-30 19.23.13.jpg
    Daily Wire is rag on the same level as the New York Post.

Who sees a title like Superman Smashes the Klan and decides "You know what, let's portray that as a bad thing"? Even from a partisan standpoint this is a stupid hill to die on.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Who sees a title like Superman Smashes the Klan and decides "You know what, let's portray that as a bad thing"? Even from a partisan standpoint this is a stupid hill to die on.
    People have gotten the works John Steinbeck, Anne Frank's Diary, To Kill A Mockingbird, and an assortment of other famous books banned from schools and public libraries.

Take it as a badge of honor.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I just finished reading Superman Smashes The Klan with one of my elementary school classes and the kids loved it. It's an excellent tool for discussing prejudice, stereotypes, and scapegoating in a way that kids can really understand and relate to. There are so many characters in there that the kids can connect with. My appreciation for what Yang accomplished with this book has only gotten higher each time I read it alongside the intended audience of children.

The fact that the Daily Wire thinks it's inappropriate for kids is really telling about how screwed up conservatives have gotten that a children's story about how the KKK is bad is somehow a sign of political bias.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think there's anything egregiously out of place for young readers in the book, personally.
    There isn't. The manner in which Yang is able to present some seriously ugly subject matter in a way that keeps it age appropriate is one of the most astonishing things about it.

Lmao morons. That book is great and is less dark than freaking Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. “Political bias” how do you interpret that any other way than what it clearly is?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/