Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Unbelievable. This pretty much perfectly encapsulates the current times. Superman fights the KKK... freaking Superman, the all American golden boy fighting racism, is seen as a bad thing.

CmipdjBW8AAMr0N.jpg
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 10-01-2021 at 06:01 AM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

What a joke. Superman Smashes the Klan is arguably the best Superman comic ever written. I gave it to my little brother for Christmas last year.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

We live in an age where insulting the KKK and saying "racism is bad" is considered offensive.

I really hope they make it into an animated movie.

Mighty Member

The same sort of People who complain about this are the same kind of People who’ll say that Joe Bennet getting let go from Marvel for antisemitism and transphobia is cancel culture. It’s got nothing to do with free speech, but everything to do with just disliking anyone who isn’t the same as you. Okay, maybe Ben Shapiro would have an issue with Joe Bennet and so maybe the Daily Wire wouldn’t come to his defence, but I can certainly see the Crossover with People who read the article.

I think trying to paint Superman vs the KKK as leftist propaganda is laughable, but this is a far right rag we’re talking about.

On a side note, if you guys want to watch something funny, just watch Ben Shapiro’s interview on the BBC, it’s a great showing of just how weak he is as a… “journalist”?

Even ignoring the '''bias''', the book was very clearly intended to BE a children's story, from it's poppy and bright art style and lead character, and I think it succeeds at that very well.

Wait til these folk read Green Lantern Legacy, another children's story published around the same time about a kid becoming a Green Lantern after saving his grandma from a hate-crime due to their rac.

I'm going to say something others might disagree with. Superman Smashes The Klan is the only truly epic, groundbreaking, or "important" Superman story in the past twenty years (or so). The only other possible contender is the deconstruction tale Injustice which started as a video game, not a comic series or graphic novel, and is controversial with many Superman readers. A shame Superman Smashes The Klan isn't part of the main continuity.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-01-2021 at 09:43 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Keep in mind that these are the same people who also tried to ban Melzer's Rosa Parks kids book because it dares to tell the story of a middle aged black woman who decided she didn't want to sit at the back of the bus to make racist white people feel better about themselves.

These shmucks are only exposing themselves here, so I figure let 'em. All it does is show everyone what the modern conservative American really believes behind the bullshit about loving their country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Keep in mind that these are the same people who also tried to ban Melzer's Rosa Parks kids book because it dares to tell the story of a middle aged black woman who decided she didn't want to sit at the back of the bus to make racist white people feel better about themselves.

These shmucks are only exposing themselves here, so I figure let 'em. All it does is show everyone what the modern conservative American really believes behind the bullshit about loving their country.
    This is an important part of the story that I wasn't sure about 'til you clarified - whether we were justified in dogpiling them for being racist or if they had some other dumb reason. But it sounds pretty damn straightforward if they opposed that anodyne Rosa Parks childrens' book.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

Superman Smashes the Klan is totally out of place even among the other books they discuss in the article.

I mean, consider the book they majorly discuss at the start of the article - Gender Queer: A Memoir. Based on the description provided, there's a fair bit of sexual content in the book, and discussions of certain aspects of sexual/gender identity. I can understand someone making a reasonable argument that such a book may not be the most appropriate thing to officially recommend to pre-teens and early teens. Most of the other books on the list are also about sexuality and gender identity, and while many of them look harmless on the surface, I can understand someone wanting to not expose kids to sexual content, whether I agree with them or not. That's a whole other debate.

But amidst all this, Superman Smashes the Klan being included on the list is plain...weird.

For starters, it has nothing to do with sexuality or gender identity. It's to do with fighting racism and discrimination. We can argue about whether there's a ''right age'' to introduce kids to sexuality and gender identity, but in my book, the only ''right age'' to start teaching kids that discrimination is wrong is ''as soon as possible''.

There's absolutely nothing in the book that could remotely be construed as being ''inappropriate'' for kids. A bit of mild violence, but probably far less than what they'd be exposed to in the average Marvel movie they'd flock to.

Superman Smashes the Klan, or at any rate the radio story that inspired it, is a part of American history! The show contributed to the fight against the Ku Klux Klan. There just can't be a more appropriate graphic novel for kids to read!

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

People are trying to make excuses for Daily Wire saying "No, no, no.... That's not what the article says. Superman Smashes the Klan is only listed as one of the promoted books on YALSA's recommendations".

Except the way the author categorized the list the book is listed under is clearly because they wanted to complain about it.

Especially how they included "political bludgeoning" in that sentence.

I think that's a good indicator that the author of this article considers Superman Smashes The Klan unsuitable for young readers.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

nevermind...
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 10-02-2021 at 06:42 AM. Reason: didn't add anything

Not surprised. It's Ben Shapiro and his ilk after all. They think it's an attack on them. That Superman is actually Smashing them. They don't even realize how much it makes them look like they're projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Not surprised. It's Ben Shapiro and his ilk after all. They think it's an attack on them. That Superman is actually Smashing them. They don't even realize how much it makes them look like they're projecting.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. I detest Shapiro more than most other "political commentators". Shapiro comes across to me as not being genuine, that he does not truly believe half of what he says. He gives me the impression of a con artist who is working the rubes unlike others of his ilk who are emotionally invested (often too much so) in their stances.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Superman Smashes the Klan is totally out of place even among the other books they discuss in the article.

I mean, consider the book they majorly discuss at the start of the article - Gender Queer: A Memoir. Based on the description provided, there's a fair bit of sexual content in the book, and discussions of certain aspects of sexual/gender identity.
    I would ask the people claiming this book is not right for kids actually READ the book? Too many of these types -seem to never read beyond the cover or the summary. They look for BUZZ words.

I can understand someone making a reasonable argument that such a book may not be the most appropriate thing to officially recommend to pre-teens and early teens.
    Listing Superman Smashes the Klan tells me they did not READ the book. Like I said they looked at the SUMMARY ONLY. If they wanted to make a point about sexual content or discussion of LGBTQA+ themes in books for kids-pre-teens. They need to prove they read some books.

Boom Studios had comic, trades and now novels of Goldie Vance, Backstagers (James Tyninon), Fence and Lumberjanes

All 3 books have LGBTQA+ content.
    Goldie Vance-takes place in the 1950s-the lead is a black girl with a WHITE girlfriend.
    Backstagers-multiple male couples.
    Fence has a guy that openly sleeps around and LUSTS after the one straight black guy on the Fence team. He wants him BAD.
    Lumberjanes-Do I EVEN need to go there?
    Of course NONE of those books mention that content.

The artist for Aqualad's book-did the book that would become Blue is the Warmest Color movie-LGBTQA+ movie.

I have gone to schools and libraries and in the kid section-I have seen THE BOYS, Hitman & Preacher on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Superman Smashes the Klan should be required reading for all young people.

I'm not even mad. This is a good thing. Obvious propaganda is obvious and the people who take this sh*t seriously weren't reading Smash anyway. Let us be lucky enough for this story to garner some national attention, the blowback will be glorious. Superman is as classically American as apple pie and racism is horrible. Ergo, it's practically Unamerican to dislike Smash.

Plus, it shows Smash is big enough and good enough to make it onto someone's "think of the children!" fake outrage list. That shows they think it's good enough to influence people.

So yeah, please, make a fight out of this. Be the political ideology that hates Captain America, Black Panther, and Superman (and their awards) and see where it gets you.
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    This should be filed under: "Tell me you're a racist without telling me you're a racist."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    People have gotten the works John Steinbeck, Anne Frank's Diary, To Kill A Mockingbird, and an assortment of other famous books banned from schools and public libraries.

Take it as a badge of honor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    We live in an age where insulting the KKK and saying "racism is bad" is considered offensive.

I really hope they make it into an animated movie.

ALLLL of this. If WB was smart, they'd go to the folks at "Illumination" and have them make "Superman Smashes The Klan" into a 3d-animated movie.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/