Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is most likely the case. She was basically like a MJ clone in the 90's.
    My guess is Ben's life will get worse as the beyond storyline carries on just like the parker industries arc. Peter will at least have some time to fix his personal life for a while.

Extraordinary Member

I'm pretty sure this is most likely the case. She was basically like a MJ clone in the 90's.
    From what I've seen yeah.But I hope they play more w/ the prison thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    My guess is Ben's life will get worse as the beyond storyline carries on just like the parker industries arc. Peter will at least have some time to fix his personal life for a while.
    Peter and MJ are going to be mystery solving at the hospital he's at.And he's non-mobile so I'm afraid there just gonna fail him.........
    Hopefully not though

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

You know, I think she actually looked a bit more like Jean Grey than MJ (not discounting the MJ similarity, which is there).

John Romita, Jr. has drawn all three, and his MJ looks very different than his Janine. But his Jean Grey is a dead ringer for her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    You know, I think she actually looked a bit more like Jean Grey than MJ (not discounting the MJ similarity, which is there).

John Romita, Jr. has drawn all three, and his MJ looks very different than his Janine. But his Jean Grey is a dead ringer for her.
    I don’t think I look forward to the series ending with Ben/Janine getting married as some kind of inverted joke on the Clone Saga ie Ben originally the single Spidey now gets to be married spidey much in the way stuff that happened with Peter was parcelled out to supporting in the BND era.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Loved the issue. I don't think that Ben is being too condescending or "evil" at all here? Honestly, outside of making Peter a bit incompetent, it seems like Marvel is handling this legacy story a lot "nicer" than previous attempts. Neither characters are against each other here and readers know ahead of time how long this is going to be.

I would say that Ben's remarks here indicate he's more aware that Beyond might not be the best, he makes a good point if he didn't accept the offer then SOMEONE else would be Spider-Man. Which could be a lot worse. I do agree that Peter being subjected to radiation feels like a plot hole but I liked the idea. The U-Foes took on the Hulk so it makes for Spider-Men to be out of their paygrade and realistically it does seem like a average skin and tights superhero could easily be beaten by radiation simply by just making a mistake. It was quick and unexpected.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I don't think that Ben is being too condescending or "evil" at all here?
    Yeah, I agree with this when I looked it over one more time. Ben and Peter basically agree if you have his values you can't stop being Spider-Man, Peter says Ben needs to find a way to rebound and Ben said this is how it is. He even says "Sorry, Peter" in a way that doesn't sound like he's just trying to get a rise out of him. It feels more like he's saying "if you really want me to improve, this is the only way it can go".

BANNED

Loved the issue. I don't think that Ben is being too condescending or "evil" at all here? Honestly, outside of making Peter a bit incompetent, it seems like Marvel is handling this legacy story a lot "nicer" than previous attempts. Neither characters are against each other here and readers know ahead of time how long this is going to be.

I would say that Ben's remarks here indicate he's more aware that Beyond might not be the best, he makes a good point if he didn't accept the offer then SOMEONE else would be Spider-Man. Which could be a lot worse. I do agree that Peter being subjected to radiation feels like a plot hole but I liked the idea. The U-Foes took on the Hulk so it makes for Spider-Men to be out of their paygrade and realistically it does seem like a average skin and tights superhero could easily be beaten by radiation simply by just making a mistake. It was quick and unexpected.
    I think some of the early spoiler viewers latched onto Pete calling Ben condescending in their first Spidey on Spidey confrontation and just ran with it in bad faith. This was the closest they have been to that issue of Revelations where they worked together since well, that issue.

Ben deciding that he has a right to a part of the Spider-Man identity doesn't even seem arrogant or entitled. It raises an interesting question and honestly sheds new light on the dynamic between them. Pete has failed to take responsibility for the fact that he has clones running around out there with his memories and largely just worries about himself.

Read The Lost Years. Ben tried to shake the Peter Parker identity for his whole life. The point was always that uncle Ben's message and the love and support of Ben and May was so powerful that it impacted Ben so profoundly and deeply it thwarted the Jackle's plan before it started. And what happened when Ben wasn't being a Spidey, that Jackle clone genocide nonsense with a generous heaping of "so much bad stuff happened to him that we think it justifies our lazy writing making him a one note villain".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    I think some of the early spoiler viewers latched onto Pete calling Ben condescending in their first Spidey on Spidey confrontation and just ran with it in bad faith. This was the closest they have been to that issue of Revelations where they worked together since well, that issue.

Ben deciding that he has a right to a part of the Spider-Man identity doesn't even seem arrogant or entitled. It raises an interesting question and honestly sheds new light on the dynamic between them. Pete has failed to take responsibility for the fact that he has clones running around out there with his memories and largely just worries about himself.

Read The Lost Years. Ben tried to shake the Peter Parker identity for his whole life. The point was always that uncle Ben's message and the love and support of Ben and May was so powerful that it impacted Ben so profoundly and deeply it thwarted the Jackle's plan before it started. And what happened when Ben wasn't being a Spidey, that Jackle clone genocide nonsense with a generous heaping of "so much bad stuff happened to him that we think it justifies our lazy writing making him a one note villain".
    1)It's not him being Spider-man, the entire corp dynamic is what worries me and Peter.Owning the Spider-man trademark is just another layer to that.They own Spider-man, they can legally ask Peter to stop being Spider-man and that's what it looks like will happen to Miles.Maybe Ben doesn't realize that yet but Peter even says you can't own Spider-man, it's my life.They brush it of and then convineintly coma Peter so we don't have to deal w/ that.

2)Peter is worried, Ben's been unstable and this isn't a stable job.He didn't come to Peter w/ opinions or questions.He was just informing him and then checked out.

3)It would have been better if he offered to help w/ his current status w/ money or even asked about what's been going on in his life.Ya know, things people want to know if they care about you, specially knowing Peter's job.

4)"Pete has failed to take responsibility for the fact that he has clones running around out there with his memories and largely just worries about himself."
    Bruh what

-Should he tie them up and throw them in a jail cell?Ben is a big boi and his own person, should be babysit him.So is Kaine, what other clones does he have around.

-Peter has saved this city more than any other hero.Even in Spencer's run where he was being targeted he still stopped multiple gangs in King' ransom."Worries about himself"- is this irony?Because this is dead wrong.
    Even w/ Kindred stuff he's also been helping out w/ Bullseyes, Man thing,Baron Zemo, KIB, etc.

1)Nerfing the heck out of Peter same as superior(Even more so since there was no scheme at play) showing how the new guy is so much better.
    2)Being blindsided and having no say in the situation.
    3)Being put put in a plot induced coma/"dead" to focus on the new guy.

Not what I would call "Nice".Better than superior, not by much but yeah.But Superior and Slott's Peter were insulting and degrading him, Slott even says he liked to make Peter suffer and it was his job.It's not a bad attempt but that's mostly because of Ben's existing character, how he was portrayed here isn't what I would call brothers/friends.

Now for Beyond.If that's his reasoning then he should ask Peter to help him make sure there legit and not a front.If not then atleast check it out for yourself.He said it was because they spent millions on dollars on this that showed they were serious(because spending money on a project that can/will benefit them means they are good guys.........) and have given him stupid amounts of money.None of these are convincing.The real reason seems Janine but he doesn't even mention that to Peter.

Peter has survived intense amounts of radiation before.Even if it took him out it would take a 3-4 days max for him to be in perfect shape again.Not to mention all the Scientists and Magicians who could heal him much faster.They are staying at McCarthy Medical Center.

U foes aren't really fast or bright enough to take Peter down so easily.Even if U foes and the blast made sense to take Peter out doing it this way has no emotional weight, it's still bad writing.I'm hoping there's a twist but as it is saying this was good and Ben going Jackal was bad seems biased.

Ben being Jackal because trauma is bad writing but Peter being taken out by this and it being a serious injury to shove him of his own book is good?Seems like a double standard, both are plot devices that are used to propel plot that don't make sense.

Ben going Jackal was quick and unexpected too, was that good writing?Writing for shock value at the cost of common sense and/or character isn't good most of the times.

Peter's injury here was nothing more than Plot Induced Stupidity.On the same level as Jackal Ben.

No knock on your opinions btw, you have a point and it well written.Just saying there's a bit more to this than Ben being spider-man again.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-06-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

So, does Beyond just know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and that Ben Reilly was (is now) Spider-Man? Secret identities out of the window? It seems to read like that..at very least it reads that Beyond approached Ben, and he swings about without mask at one point..having "bought the rights" did they know who to go to about who would be their Spider-Man...yes I know Ben says they would have done this with or without him, but...?

And what about the shades of Superior Spidey! Ben comes to the game with a souped up suit, with gadgets a go-go....not evil like Spock, but showing Peter up in a way..

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    So, does Beyond just know that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and that Ben Reilly was (is now) Spider-Man? Secret identities out of the window? It seems to read like that..at very least it reads that Beyond approached Ben, and he swings about without mask at one point..having "bought the rights" did they know who to go to about who would be their Spider-Man...yes I know Ben says they would have done this with or without him, but...?

And what about the shades of Superior Spidey! Ben comes to the game with a souped up suit, with gadgets a go-go....not evil like Spock, but showing Peter up in a way..
    They definitely know who Ben is, I really hope they don't f*ck Peter over w/ an identity disclosure.

Aside from the other paralles, one thing I did note is from the behavior to the food and facilities, the apartment, etc. he'e enjoying tf out of this, same as Ock w/ MJ.There are a lot of similarities, hopefully they diverge.

Also does Misty Knight know Ben?How did she recognize him by just a sentence?

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Also does Misty Knight know Ben?How did she recognize him by just a sentence?
    They went to space together because Tony Stark needed a hand. Before he became background dressing Ben even called Stark a $#!7head. That was fun.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

If they know who Ben is, and they are monitoring him, the fact that he's the twin (looks) of Peter except for blonde hair, well if they don't know about Peter, it can't be hard to add 2 and 2...

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I just hope when this is over Ben and Janine can just go off to the sunset and have a happy life. Ben showing up juts in big events to help Peter.

Okay, couple of thoughts about this issue:
    1. This is definitely one of those, "Bring Peter to his lowest in order to build him back up" arcs. Though in this case it's being hospitalized. And I'm betting that even after he recovers thanks to Doc Ock's help, Peter will still not be 100% on his game because he hasn't properly come to terms with Harry's death. The moment he does is when he'll bounce back.
    2. It's painfully obvious that the Beyond Corporation hired the U-Foes to take out Peter. Why else would they tell Ben, "Hey, we got some intel that make us think you need to go down to R&D and test out the new radioactive shielding on your suit." It also explains how Peter succumbs to radiation poisoning despite several stories--particularly Spider-Verse--showing us how he's less susceptible to radiation poisoning because of his radioactive spider blood. No doubt Doc Ock, once he examines Peter, will go, "Hmm...this radioactivity is fascinating. It's almost as though it's designed to target your unique blood cells. If I didn't know better, I would say this was a rather ingenious assassination attempt."
    3. In that same vein, Ben is also being used, with the Beyond Corp. playing into what he wants--job security, Janine, a chance to prove himself worthy of being Spider-Man, etc. But the fact that they hired Dr. Kafka, a psychologist, to check up on him is the key. Not only does this tie back into J.M. DeMatties' upcoming Ben Reilly series, but it also suggests that Ben Reilly, despite being cured, is still psychologically unstable. So watch as something causes him to snap--like Janine being killed or some such--as Reilly goes berserk with the Beyond Corp having no way to stop him. Cue Peter Parker/Spider-Man vs Ben Reilly/Spider-Man for ASM #900.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

So Ben's not being evil here, thank god. Slightly condescending? Maybe. Their relationship might have soured some, but I still get the "brotherly" vibe between them. Their conversation over coffee was actually cordial. Slightly tense, but I don't consider it jerkish. And Ben's right. He has just as much right to be Spider-Man as Peter.

Also. once they both get into the fight later in the issue, it feels like they fall right back into their old clone saga dynamic.

And I think that's the important thing here. More than anything, THIS feels like Ben Reily. I truly haven't had that feeling since the 90s. That alone has me hyped for what's going on. And you KNOW that Kaine is going to show up at some point.

Also, it may be a little dark, but I did find it amusing when Ben is bragging about his suit and how it has protections against radiation and such and Peter is all "Yeah.....that would have been pretty sweet......"