Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default New Mutants 22 Preview

CBR: EXCLUSIVE: The X-Men’s Biggest Enemies Converge on Krakoa in New Mutants #22

I assume this is a training exercise like a danger room session, maybe their version of the Kobiyashi Maru.

Extraordinary Member

Can the mods combine the 2 preview threads?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    CBR: EXCLUSIVE: The X-Men’s Biggest Enemies Converge on Krakoa in New Mutants #22

I assume this is a training exercise like a danger room session, maybe their version of the Kobiyashi Maru.
    Oh. I thought the Shadow King was fighting on the astral plane and unleashed all these guys on them.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post

The art looks really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Do they have a Danger Room in Krakoa?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Oh. I thought the Shadow King was fighting on the astral plane and unleashed all these guys on them.
    I guess that's possible too, but I don't think they'd be this calm if that were the case, even knowing that these are fakes.

Mighty Member

yeah, pretty sure this is the new Mutants fighting on Shadow King's mindscape.

How do they know about that Omega Sentinal (since she doesn't look like the current one)? Cool preview though.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Preview is sleep-inducing.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing art as usual for Rod Reis, his pencils and colors are impressive. I suppose they are in the Wild Hunt? Maybe this is already in the middle of the book and they are in the astral plane? Who knows. But it is good to finally see the older mutants in action. I hope the fights are great. They don't look very powerful though. lol

It is funny how Vita made Warlock a member of this cast but they keep ignoring him.

Mighty Member

Am I the only one who thinks that New Mutants should get a new writer and get some of the older New Mutants back into the team like Doug and Sunspot?

Probably not, but I'm really enjoying Ayala's writing. I could do without the teaching aspect, but the solicitations for December make it sound like there's going to be a big change in direction. The characterizations are great, though (with the exception of Anole), and really want to see what they're going to do next.

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that New Mutants should get a new writer and get some of the older New Mutants back into the team like Doug and Sunspot?
    Nah I like the writing. I also think New Mutants series should be relegated to actually New Mutants. The OG New Mutants should be in Bew X-Men and same thing goes for the second generation of New Mutants and Hellions.

Extraordinary Member

I think the writing of individual scenes and characters has been good for the most part since issue 14, but the stretching out of this arc has been atrocious.

In theory I think turning New Mutants into the book where new young mutants are introduced, star for 1-3 years and then graduate and get replaced by the next batch could work. Make the place for writers to put their new creations and see who catches on and can become a regular and who will be forgotten. In practice I'm not sure the market is big enough to support that kind of book or that the New Mutants brand can survive without the characters most associated and identified with it.

I really don't mind the arc being stretched out that much. If that was all that was going on, it would be a problem, but they've got lots of subplots. I think Ayala must be a big fan of 80's/90's comics (I even caught a thought balloon a few issues back), except they're not devoting 12 issues to a single story like would happen back then. .

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Eh. I think Vita's a good writer. They have a good grasp on some of the characters, and for once I find Gabby to sympathetic instead of insufferable. It feels like they just need to be reigned in by a strict editor or something. Someone who can remind them to keep the pace, mete out focus more evenly, and manage their OCs in a more effective way.