Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mighty Member

I’ve enjoyed this book so far, then again, I like Betsy which always helps. I do think this comic could have just been called “Psylocke” but I don’t know how well it would have sold.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I would say nothing about a book dedicated to fawning over how great Betsy is. It could just do its own thing and I wouldn't care less.
    I’m sorry. You think this series was fawning over Betsy???? It’s basically been a series about how inept she is as CB. And these maybe last 3 issues she’s getting some tiny good moments.

Astonishing Member

Did they seriously go through with making Mordred a mutant?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I’m sorry. You think this series was fawning over Betsy???? It’s basically been a series about how inept she is as CB. And these maybe last 3 issues she’s getting some tiny good moments.
    I misspoke. The characters fawn over Betsy. We have to be TOLD she's beautiful, desirable, strong, amazing etc by the other characters and have her constantly remind us she IS Captain Britain because otherwise you wouldn't know. Last issue it was Doom suggesting she'd be a great bride. So here we have a scene of vampires admiring her.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I have to giggle a bit with those tekstkleur about Jubilee, as THESE vampires never set for on earth and have no connection with Dracula. If you did read about then before, or on data pages, or just read these preview pages, you will know they did have nothing to do with Jubilee.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Personally I don't know why some of you kept torturing yourselves for 20 plus months...that's masochistic.

Anywho...

This is the Excalibur I wish we had from the beginning where we were exploring and experiencing all the various realms and peoples of Otherworld.
    I can only speak for myself but it's not like this comic has been pure torture. It's just been obviously flawed. For some fans like me who value good charactersiation and interaction between the team members it's been a shipwreck. The premise is fun and the concepts in theory are solid. It's just the execution that is lacking. The ambition behind the book has not been backed up by the execution.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's just it though. The perceived flaws (I can objectively admit to them existing throughout) have been there since issue one and are still there just perhaps to a lesser degree, 23 issues later. Those few who abjectly vilify it month after month say the same thing...every. month. every. issue. Even when there have been minor improvements in plot if not storytelling and characterisation.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I misspoke. The characters fawn over Betsy. We have to be TOLD she's beautiful, desirable, strong, amazing etc by the other characters and have her constantly remind us she IS Captain Britain because otherwise you wouldn't know. Last issue it was Doom suggesting she'd be a great bride. So here we have a scene of vampires admiring her.
    You are both completely right. It’s all tell and no show. Betts is just as useless and uninteresting as the rest of the cast. She just gets the most panel time devoted to how useless and uninteresting she is. The author acts like if she keeps telling us all these great things about Betsy, it will compensate for never showing these great qualities, save for her beauty, which is all due to the artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That's just it though. The perceived flaws (I can objectively admit to them existing throughout) have been there since issue one and are still there just perhaps to a lesser degree, 23 issues later. Those few who abjectly vilify it month after month say the same thing...every. month. every. issue. Even when there have been minor improvements in plot if not storytelling and characterisation.
    But if you look at it from the other perspective the people who adore it are also stuck in a similar mode. That’s a big reason why there isn’t any meaningful discussions about the quality of the issues. Many users have dropped of and the ones left are doing what is expected of them. If you see yourself as one who is tired of people vilifying it then address their complaints or don’t if you don’t think you can affect them. If they are so stuck that’s it pointless then you have to accept that this is just how it will be.

I know that when I write in a Excalibur thread I don’t expect anyone to actually respond. Especially not if they disagree. I just write because I want to express myself and that will have to be enough.

Of course I’m talking about posts that have something to debate and not trolling or just saying how great or bad it is.

I've decided to let it go when it comes to the back and forth on these boards over this book every month. I'm of the mind that when a preview for a book is posted, the discussion should be about the preview, not everything that's wrong with the book since its inception. But again, I've decided to let it go.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Same here, Sibling.
    I agree. I enjoy it, for what it is, not for what I expect(ed) it to be...and that's all that matters, really.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

If there's one thing we know about creative works, is that the response is generally to "enjoy them for what they are" instead of remarking on their stylistic choices, composition, voice, tone, influence, etc...

the previews for this book generally have not been what the book ends up being about. it's a red herring. wasted 4 pages of a 22 page book on sleight of hand, when the plot just proceeds to meander from place to place. earlier in the series gambit said something along the lines of: "what are we just going to do, just wander around leveling up?" i mean, was the author speaking for the audience at that point? 22 issues later, i feel like we should have been in the final battle with sephiroth by now, not asking vampires questions --- when saturnine SAID she'd straight up give us answers if we freed the fairies two issues ago. THE FAIRIES GOT FREED. omg, just linear coherence would be an improvement. did the characters all forget what happened last issue? or that rictor annexed a portion of the UK? no, let's putz around with dr. doom and vamps.

we argue to exchange ideas/thoughts, not to come to agreement. frustration is my current state of mind, that is what i wish to convey.

I hate Marvel Vampires.

I hope we see S.T.R.I.K.E. in this issue.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Yeah.

Heavily featuring? Yes.
    Fawning? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    I hate Marvel Vampires.

I hope we see S.T.R.I.K.E. in this issue.
    Yes please. I've been waiting for that reunion.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!