Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Movie was alright.

Didn't mind that it was goofy.

I found some edit choices to be jarring.

Carnage was boring... not Cletus, Carnage, since they are different beings in this movie. Disappointing that there was none of that "they are so compatible they use the word "I" instead of "we"", and Carnage himself was oddly quite, honestly he wasn't much different than Riot in the first film.

Streak was...there?

Venom himself was the best part, which is what matters most.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Amazing Member

Anyone else get Dr Strange vibes off the flash of golden light that brought Eddie and Venom to the MCU?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Movie was alright.

Didn't mind that it was goofy.

I found some edit choices to be jarring.

Carnage was boring... not Cletus, Carnage, since they are different beings in this movie. Disappointing that there was none of that "they are so compatible they use the word "I" instead of "we"", and Carnage himself was oddly quite, honestly he wasn't much different than Riot in the first film.

Streak was...there?

Venom himself was the best part, which is what matters most.
    Did Woody get rid of that horrible wig? That unprofessional after credits scene from movie one kinda ruined movie one for me. The girlfriend and I liked Eddie and Venom a lot but they both were wasted in a movie that often didn't even care to try.

I liked it about the same as the first movie, which was meh.

I had trouble following the conversations between Eddie and Venom because the theater volume was messed up.

The end-credit scene was also meh.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

I enjoyed it. Went in expecting the same humor, pace and lack of pretentiousness that I got from the first one. Never followed Venom in the comics so expectations about how to do this “right” were zero. Sometimes I did find Venom’s dialogue incomprehensible.

Also, the “F#ck this guy,” before taking out Cletus was one joke too far. It undercut the little bit of gravitas the moment deserved.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall I liked it but definitely room for improvement

+ Cletus: Woody H did a great job with his character. Cletus's Story/Pacing was far better in the movie. More substance than "I just want to kill" and thats it
    + Carnage: Yep, Carnage and Cletus are ranked separately. I personally liked how Carnage was separate. Only until recently, that Symbiote never showed a personality.
    + Shriek: Never liked her in the books but I did in this movie. For as little as Naomi had, she did a good job

= Humor: Really hit or miss here. Sometimes it was perfect, other times it was forced and unnecessary.

- Venom: A little too goofy for my taste. In the first movie he had his moments but he was still tough and dangerous
    - Eddie Brock: Don't get me wrong, I love Tom Hardy but I was hoping his Eddie would be more confident. Almost like a Stone Cold Steve Austin after bonding with such a powerful partner. I feel like his character is moving backwards and not forward
    - Odd Couple: I get that it had to be done but it should have been a side plot. Too much of it here and not enough Venom vs Carnage
    - Ann W: Totally unnecessary here. The story went absolutely nowhere.
    - Ending: I was kind of mad at it. All this world building and for what? All gone

Overall: 7.5/10: Remove the Anne part, focus more on Carnage (I thought he had the best parts), dial down the goofiness level a few notches, and add the rated R to it and it would have ranked much higher.

Question: At the end Mulligan's Eyes Changed. Was that Toxin?
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 10-02-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Did Woody get rid of that horrible wig? That unprofessional after credits scene from movie one kinda ruined movie one for me. The girlfriend and I liked Eddie and Venom a lot but they both were wasted in a movie that often didn't even care to try.
    Yeah, he starts off with a different wig. (it’s way better though). And then he gets a superior haircut halfway through the film.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I enjoyed it. Went in expecting the same humor, pace and lack of pretentiousness that I got from the first one. Never followed Venom in the comics so expectations about how to do this “right” were zero. Sometimes I did find Venom’s dialogue incomprehensible.

Also, the “F#ck this guy,” before taking out Cletus was one joke too far. It undercut the little bit of gravitas the moment deserved.
    According to a friend of mine (take that for what it's worth, second-hand from a stranger) that in PG-13 movies they're allowed one use of the word "f**k" and so they'll force one in there at some point. I'd give up all profanity for an R-rating and not watching a hundred bloodless deaths (including several head removals). Also, the elimination of the MPAA though that's probably asking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    According to a friend of mine (take that for what it's worth, second-hand from a stranger) that in PG-13 movies they're allowed one use of the word "f**k" and so they'll force one in there at some point. I'd give up all profanity for an R-rating and not watching a hundred bloodless deaths (including several head removals). Also, the elimination of the MPAA though that's probably asking too much.
    Yes, I’ve heard of that one F-bomb rule, too. I don’t mind the profanity I just found that to be a poor moment for humor.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Extraordinary Member

If I were Sony, I’d go ahead and use the events of the stinger and the next appearance of Venom to get him his iconic white-spider symbol.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    If I were Sony, I’d go ahead and use the events of the stinger and the next appearance of Venom to get him his iconic white-spider symbol.
    Disney should consider a bigger partnership with how successful Venom is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Disney should consider a bigger partnership with how successful Venom is now.
    Given the post credit, I'd say they already have considered it.

Mighty Member

I just saw the movie with a buddy. I do wish Carnage talked more and had some morbid humor. Carnage as a character is VERY one note and definitely one that you can only do once really. So I wish they did more with him. For example, the scene in the cathedral, the seats were empty. If they had been full of corpses that would have been much better for me. As it stands the most interesting adaptation of Carnage is still the one from the 90’s animated series, everything since had made him somewhat of a generic monster…don’t get me wrong, Carnage was ALWAYS a half assed Joker wannabe, but I feel that this was the character to ham it up.

Also, for some reason I was able to tell Shriek was Shriek before we got her name despite the actress. The sonic powers could have been enough, but my mind went straight to DC with Black Canary and Silver Banshee…then in the scene after she was shot I saw her eye and the scar and was able to call her by name immediately… she’s white in comics. However I mean LITERALLY white, so I can’t tell if she’s supposed to be Caucasian (we all just default to it). Anyone want to help me on that or is she like Blink?

Also, when it comes to the after credits scene… it seems Sony is showing their hand. (If only they could get animation rights back)

I thought it was fun. They definitely took to heart that the best parts of the first movie was Tom Hardy acting like a weirdo, arguing with the voice in his head, and Venom doing goofy shit.

I was surprised by how much importance they gave to Shriek in regard to Carnage's motivation. I'm not complaining about that, just wasn't expecting it.

The cast looked like they were having fun. Woody Harrelson was good as Carnage, as expected. Tom Hardy doing his thing is great. Even Michelle Williams, who has to work with the thankless love interest role, got a few moments to say or do funny stuff.

If I could change anything, I would've added an action beat early in the film. Since most of it is Venom and Eddie fighting--and eventually breaking up--I would've liked there to be a scene of Venom doing "Venom stuff" near the start before the break-up comes about.
    I also thought it was weird Venom and Carnage don't even confront each other until the final battle.

An odd thing was Venom implies there's something significant to Carnage being a red symbiote, but they don't follow up on it at all. I wasn't even looking for a detailed lore dump, just a line like, "Red symbiotes are the most dangerous!"
    But no. He just says, "This is bad! That's a red one!" and never brings it up again.

I'd bet there are more than a few scenes missing. On the one hand, I actually wouldn't have minded it being a little longer--as said, an action scene near the beginning and/or an initial confrontation with Carnage before the final battle.
    But at the same time, in an age of overlong, bloated movies that often don't need to be two hours plus, it was kind of refreshing to have a quick, ninety minute breeze.

Venom getting sucked into the MCU is pretty cool, but is it weird that I'm not really interested in him meeting Spider-Man? They have no prior relationship--how can they?--and it's going to be a strange dynamic to have mid-thirties or so Eddie Brock stalking teenage Peter Parker. Especially since movie Eddie isn't the fanatical psycho he is in the comics. Movie Eddie is just kind of a normal, if somewhat selfish dude with odd quirks.

Honestly, I'd be more interesting in this Venom meeting other MCU characters and bouncing off them.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Just saw this, definitely an improvement over the first film. Woody as Cletus was excellent but I wish they had defined the Carnage symbiote better. There’s little to differentiate it from Riot once you remove Cletus, and I was hoping for a different voice with it to Venom. Traditionally it’s been more high pitched as per youth.

No idea what they were implying with Mulligan at the end with the purple eyes, is he Toxin now or has Shriek’s powers or just purple eyes just supposed to be a substitute for being blinded?