Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

I thought it was a fun movie and an entertaining way to spend 90-odd minutes. Which honestly is sometimes all we really need from our comic-book movies! Not every movie needs to aspire to be the next The Dark Knight or Logan or even Avengers Endgame.

As with the first one, I found this one too to be a nice throwback to the simpler pre-Nolan/pre-MCU era of superhero films. Hell, the whole plot-line of Eddie and Venom separating and Eddie thus losing 'his' powers was like a funnier and twisted version of Peter Parker losing his powers and giving up being Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2!

The Eddie-Venom banter is really the best part of the movie! I'd watch the hell out of an adult comedy cartoon with these two.

Carnage didn't quiet live up to the hype, but he was nonetheless pretty good. Cletus Kasady as well (yeah, they're virtually separate characters here). I must say they ended up making him a tad more sympathetic than I expected. Yeah, we know he's supposed to be this remorseless serial killer, but we mainly get that through exposition - in the film's narrative proper he's basically a guy with a troubled childhood and an abusive family who was separated from the one person he loved and wants to get back to her. I feel they should have balanced that out a bit more with the fact that he is a ruthless serial killer - both as Kasady and as Carnage. Yeah, there really wasn't as much carnage as I'd have hoped! Made me wish the movie was R-rated...

As for the post-credits scene...well, it totally caught me unawares! And it's ended about 3 years of speculation about continuity between the MCU and Sony's Spider-Man universe. I kinda have a hard time imagining Tom Hardy's Venom facing off against Tom Holland's Spider-Man, and tonally they belong to completely different worlds. But let's see how it goes. Hardy is almost certainly making a cameo in Spider-Man: No Way Home IMO. I wonder what this all says about Michael Keaton's role in Morbius.

On a lighter note, the fact that the transition from the Venom universe to the MCU is marked by Eddie warping from a grimy-looking hotel room to a fairly luxurious one, really tells you a lot about the tonality of the respective franchises

Question
    How do they explain Venom’s origin as I’m assume it’s divorced from the comics ?