Thought this was a pair of topics each with an interesting discussion to have, but that there was enough of an overlap and likelihood for tangent they might fit in the same thread:

- Does Luke work better with a capacity for romance, marriage, and raising a family, like in Legends? Or was that always incongruous with his characterization and archetype, and he “should” remain single, like the Disney canon?

- Should the PT-era Jedi celibacy aspect be viewed as “correct orthodoxy” in-universe, or an outdated idea from a too-dogmatic Order in-universe? How much should future creators respect or honor the idea?

I’ll make no bones about the fact that I tend to prefer my fictional characters to be both able to marry, and to eventually act on it; I have no respect for anything about One More Day in Spider-Man, and thought the New 52’s attempt to break up marriages across the board was incredibly stupid. And yeah, I was a fan of Luke and Mara Jade, even though I didn’t think it was perfect. I also tend to think that the celibacy idea was created by Lucas to serve an internal-conflict point in AOTC rather than as an intrinsic, inescapable truth of being a Jedi… and my own personal history as a Protestant Christian means that my view of the celibacy idea is one of philosophical rejection.

What’s your guys’ ideas on these things?