Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
I’ll be honest and say some of my pessimism comes from how accepting and non-character a bunch of Hollywood types seem about TLJ screwing over Rey, implying they gave into the same issue Johnson had. And not just “Hollywood types” but LFL members themselves - Pablo Hidalgo and Jason Frye are two dudes I respect in all things Star Wars… until they start talking about the ST.

Abrams, thanks to TFA, makes me think he could have done the right thing… But I also think he shouldn’t be blamed for the “course correction” he tried to make in TROS as much as others - the story was written into a corner by TLJ, and Rey having a claim on the multi-film story that TLJ had raised above her was neccessary.

But that’s still for Rey by herself.

I honestly don’t think anyone who actually enjoys the family story can enjoy the way the ST doomed them to an ignominious death and a disgraceful waste of space like Kylo. I’m not kidding when I say it would be better if Kylo didn’t exist - ROTJ’s a happy ending, dammit, and that’s better than some tragic bullshit for no damn reason.
Well, Hollywood tends to not always be trustworthy. But I don't think screwing Rey over would be fixed by making her a Skywalker. It would just reinforce the notion of needing to be related to someone in order to be a good character, yet wouldn't fix any of the actual problems with her, or with Finn

And there's nothing wrong with a tragic ending. I don't buy the idea that the sequels are ruined because the Skywalkers didn't get the cliche happy ending