Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I've been thinking about how to use the 60th anniversary and issue 900 to launch new titles.

It probably makes more sense to have a weekly Amazing Spider-Man (with occasional intermissions and a maximum of three writers) because it's difficult to convey that new titles matter. Historically, Spectacular and Web have had low sales, so I may go with different series.

If the decision is to have multiple monthly titles, here's how I'd do it...

Amazing Spider-Man: The standard book. In this case, there may be some limitations based on what's going on in the other books. There would be less team-ups than usual because we also have...

Marvel Team-Up: A team-up title. I liked the old Ultimate Marvel Team Up of different artists for each story, so that's a possible way to do it. It's important that stories aren't limited to single issue length, but that they're still self-contained. A mistake with Robert Kirkman and Scott Kolins' run years back was that issues would carry over so a Spider-Man/ X-23 team-up would feature Iron Man and the Hulk from the previous issue. It would also be important that this is a Spider-Man series. It would likely correspond to what's going on with MCU releases. If Guardians of the Galaxy 3 comes out May 2023, there would probably be a Spider-Man/ Guardians team-up at the same time.

Spider-Man: Adjectiveless Spider-Man seems to be the one book without sales baggage in that it typically sold well and didn't seem second-tier. The basic hook is that this a series based on contemporary issues, as Peter's professional interests in journalism and scientific research would allow him to encounter people affected by news events. It's something that can get attention and generate stories, but doing it in a satellite book means you avoid affecting the Amazing Spider-Man brand, and the awkwardness when five-year old ASM issues are suddenly anachronistic.

Legendary Spider-Man: The hook for this series is that writers and/ or artists who have previously worked on Spider-Man return for an approximately twelve issue run. It would probably be important to have two writers on-board initially, so it doesn't just become a vehicle for one creative team, so that Peter David fans wouldn't expect him to stick around for a second year, because Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is taking over with Issue 13.

One cheat might be to use the milestone and anniversary issues to promote the other books. For example, the writer of Marvel Team-Up might get the main story in Amazing Spider-Man #900 to make it obvious that the Marvel Team-Up run will be a big deal. There will also be back-up stories to set up the other satellite books, as well as the Miles Morales spinoff, and potentially a Ben Reilly spinoff.

Potential creative teams.
    Amazing Spider-Man: Chip Zdarsky, Stephen Segovia & Nicola Scott (makes sense to have two artists)
    Spider-Man: Ta-Nehisi Coates, Daniel Acuna & Sara Pichelli (makes sense to have two artists)
    Legendary Spider-Man: Peter David & Giuseppe Camuncoli
    Marvel Team-Up: Jason Aaron & assorted.

If the Beyond era ends with #98 of Volume 5 in March or April, Jason Aaron might write the main story of Amazing Spider-Man #900. He'll be on that book for a few more issues, seeding the upcoming Marvel Team-Up run. Back-up stories would set up events in the other titles.

In August, there could be a 60th anniversary issue of Amazing Spider-Man with the kickoff of the new creative team, as well as the #1s for the other series.

One potential change would be to switch one of the satellite books with making Amazing Spider-Man twice-monthly.

I've been ignoring the question of what story Marvel should tell, because that should be up to the writers. The important thing is that it's something meaningful, that says things about the character.
    To be honest this is amazing! I really would enjoy Spiderman title. That sounds like it could have a lot done with it with a good team
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, has Peter ever met Jessica Carradine?
    Yes, briefly for just a couple pages.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    See we can get even more crazy with tying this plot in. Richard is so upset at the affair that he becomes a spy for Red Skull because the Skull promises Richard revenge on Osborne. Mary becomes a spy to get close to her husband and talk sense into him. But sadly they are both Killed by Red Skull and the official story is that they were traitors just like Peter reads in that annual. But Nick Fury years later when he finds out the Peter is Spiderman plants the evidence that Richard was also working for the government like Mary so that Peter can get angry at the Skull killing his innocent parents so that Peter will go after the Skull himself in revenge. Sadly this does not work like Nick Fury intended.

Give me enough time and I will try and work Crusher Hogan being involved in the Clone Saga
    Bruh, but do write it though.It's funny because Marvel would do stuff like this even if everyone hates it so you never know.On second thought, maybe don't give them new ideas

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yes, briefly for just a couple pages.
    Could you site the issue please, I'd like to read it.

Bruh, but do write it though.It's funny because Marvel would do stuff like this even if everyone hates it so you never know.On second thought, maybe don't give them new ideas
    I have so many ideas for Spiderman fanfics I made notes on and did a couple pages of it is insane. My favorite one is where Norman is not the Green Goblin but he is The Kingpin and Daredevil works with him as an assassins. Daredevil kills Aunt May and Uncle Ben because Uncle ben who works as a New York Police CSI is helping bring down the Kingpin. And it goes from there.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

As far as new titles go I think I'd just suggest Marvel having something like Spider-Man Unlimited back in the day which I believe came out only every other month or something even more protracted release-wise, but the catch would be that it's a team book with all the other Spiders. You have a bunch of characters always drifting in the aether until something else is done with them (Ben and Kaine had it badly, I think Silk also went offradar for a while and now I believe Spider-Gwen also doesn't have a monthly) so that'd be a good way to check in on the characters every once in a while.

Could you site the issue please, I'd like to read it.
    If you can check that, it's definitely in the Complete Ben Reilly Epic, not all that long after he takes over as Spider-Man. Try to eye stuff drawn by Sal Buscema after the skull in the smokestack is revealed and you should find it in no time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have so many ideas for Spiderman fanfics I made notes on and did a couple pages of it is insane. My favorite one is where Norman is not the Green Goblin but he is The Kingpin and Daredevil works with him as an assassins. Daredevil kills Aunt May and Uncle Ben because Uncle ben who works as a New York Police CSI is helping bring down the Kingpin. And it goes from there.
    Well if you ever do write some let us know on here, sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    If you can check that, it's definitely in the Complete Ben Reilly Epic, not all that long after he takes over as Spider-Man. Try to eye stuff drawn by Sal Buscema after the skull in the smokestack is revealed and you should find it in no time.
    Thanks, I'll get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    How about not promoting the 60th anniversary because 60 is generally speaking not a too impressive number.

Some milestones count more than others:
    25, 50, 100, 150, 200, 300, 500, 1000.

60 doesn't make the cut and the bouncer of the Milestone Club like Bruce Campbell in SM-2 must say no.

After a certain point, interstitial milestones don't count. 25th Year Anniversary was a big deal but 125th Year not so much. 500 is a big deal but centenary anniversaries between 500 to 1000 don't have the same oomph to it at all.

On Spider-Man's mega-milestone anniversary years:
    -- 25th Anniversary: Peter Parker gets married to Mary Jane Watson in Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21.
    -- 50th Anniversary: The first-ever crossover between Spider-Man and Miles Morales in Bendis' Spider-Men.

So what can the 60th Year Anniversary possibly hope to conjure to measure against those historic firsts?
    60th anniversaries are still acknowledged.

In 1943, they celebrated the 60th anniversary of the Brooklyn Bridge.

https://www.wnyc.org/story/60th-anni...ooklyn-bridge/

They recently celebrated the 80th anniversary of Citizen Kane.

https://www.wbrc.com/2021/09/20/citi...h-anniversary/

Amazing Spider-Man Annual #21 wasn't really celebrated as a 25th anniversary tie-in.

Marvel seemed to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Fantastic Four #1 with a linewide cover scheme.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?SeriesID=16790851

Amazing Spider-Man #300 was listed as the special 25th anniversary of Amazing Spider-Man #1, but they didn't really promote the 25th anniversary of Amazing Fantasy #15.

Marvel also celebrated the 50th anniversary with Alpha's debut, which was less successful than Spider-Men.

The biggest Spider-Man anniversary celebration was the 30th anniversary, where every issue was double-sized with a cardstock holographic cover.
    Spectacular Spider-Man #189 was the best, a showdown between Spider-Man and Harry Osborn midway through the DeMatteis/ Buscema run.
    Amazing Spider-Man #365 had commentary by Peter Sanderson, a Lee/ Romita back-up story and a showdown with the Lizard.
    Both of the main stories would be collected in 1994's Very Best of Spider-Man TPB, although I think it was more about checking boxes than the belief that "Fathers and Sins" was a true highlight of the character (standalone stories by well-regarded creative teams with A-list villains.)

Web of Spider-Man #90 brought back Peter's agent with an appearance by a major villain.
    Spider-Man #26 has a standalone story by DeFalco, Frenz and Bagley that reminds Spidey of Uncle Ben's killer.

The main thing the 30th anniversary issues did was to touch on the character's history, which is a valid approach, although it's an emphasis on the past, reminding people that earlier comics were good, rather than showing something new.

On the other hand, you never know if doing something new will take off. Venom is obviously quite popular. Alpha not so much (though his story was meant to nod to the original.)
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-03-2021 at 11:04 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

All-New Member

Well Anniversaries in the real world is basically celebrating the past but also moving forward.

Pete has been through the ringer from the whole Red Goblin, Kindred and now the Beyond Corp. His mindset is probably pretty low. I would do it’s a wonderful life Peter Parker. Have someone show him what his life could have been if he went a different direction for example. Really show how Spider Man and the man in the mask made a difference and have different chapters from a charchters POV. Then it all sums up and renews Peter and the readers for his next step

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 3pointshooter View Post
    Well Anniversaries in the real world is basically celebrating the past but also moving forward.

Pete has been through the ringer from the whole Red Goblin, Kindred and now the Beyond Corp. His mindset is probably pretty low. I would do it’s a wonderful life Peter Parker. Have someone show him what his life could have been if he went a different direction for example. Really show how Spider Man and the man in the mask made a difference and have different chapters from a charchters POV. Then it all sums up and renews Peter and the readers for his next step
    The problem is Peter's met so many AU versions of himself via the Spider-Verse and the nature of time travel and dimension travel in the MU being what it is, it'd be hard to sell that concept as real and believable.

In general those kinds of stories can be a little narcissistic, and certainly the film It's A Wonderful Life has been criticized (even by those who like it) for validating a narcissistic self-regard for the main character.

On the other hand what I would prefer is if someone do the best version of that in comics, like say To Kill a Legend which is considered by some to be the best Batman story. It's a story where Batman goes to a different timeline where he realizes that he's landed a few days before his parents were to be killed on Crime Alley and there's a debate as to whether Batman should intervene and stop his own conception, and whether his parents had to die for him to become Batman. And the comic comes up with a brilliant and poignant take on that while finding a way out of that narcissistic premise.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-03-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The problem is Peter's met so many AU versions of himself via the Spider-Verse and the nature of time travel and dimension travel in the MU being what it is, it'd be hard to sell that concept as real and believable.

In general those kinds of stories can be a little narcissistic, and certainly the film It's A Wonderful Life has been criticized (even by those who like it) for validating a narcissistic self-regard for the main character.

On the other hand what I would prefer is if someone do the best version of that in comics, like say To Kill a Legend which is considered by some to be the best Batman story. It's a story where Batman goes to a different timeline where he realizes that he's landed a few days before his parents were to be killed on Crime Alley and there's a debate as to whether Batman should intervene and stop his own conception, and whether his parents had to die for him to become Batman. And the comic comes up with a brilliant and poignant take on that while finding a way out of that narcissistic premise.
    spoilers:
    Is that the one where Batman saves his parents, anyway, and his younger self is inspired by that moment of heroism to become that timeline's Batman, not out of grief and anger (and misplaced guilt), but out of admiration for the hero who saved his parents? If so, that's a very good one.
    end of spoilers
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    spoilers:
    Is that the one where Batman saves his parents, anyway, and his younger self is inspired by that moment of heroism to become that timeline's Batman, not out of grief and anger (and misplaced guilt), but out of admiration for the hero who saved his parents? If so, that's a very good one.
    end of spoilers
    Got it in one, yeah.

It totally rejects the toxic ideas in stuff like What If i.e. that somehow the most horrible things are necessary to happen.

just give him a stable job thats all I ask. No more rent issues
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Got it in one, yeah.

It totally rejects the toxic ideas in stuff like What If i.e. that somehow the most horrible things are necessary to happen.
    The whole "sure, the canon timeline is bad, but things could have turned out much worse, so be happy (or at least grateful) things ended up the way they did here" bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    just give him a stable job thats all I ask. No more rent issues
    Yeah, that would be nice.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The whole "sure, the canon timeline is bad, but things could have turned out much worse, so be happy (or at least grateful) things ended up the way they did here" bit?
    Exactly. I mean look obviously from a story perspective it's important that Luke Skywalker's foster parents die for him to become a Jedi, but that's quite a bit different from insisting that they had to die for him to be a hero. The former is external but the latter is making the external into something intrinsic.

In the case of What-If logic, or even It's a Wonderful Life-logic, that kind of concept often devolves to that. If you take it too far you end up affirming a kind of status-quo. Nothing against the film, It's a wonderful life, is a great film and emotionally resonant but you shouldn't make it into a template for everything.