Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 245
  1. #1
    Incredible Member baumblume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    689

    Default The Inhumans are Rasict

    A caste system with a royal family and a slave class, -and- eugenics.

    The Inhumans really are a big mess of uncomfortable, aren't they. And yet this is what Marvel has hung its hopes on.

    The Inhumans' Slave Class Makes The Heroes Impossible To Root For The Inhumans' royal family, especially Black Bolt and Medusa, just aren't very likable. Is it maybe because they practice eugenics and own slaves
    Romani Black Woman.
    Hi, Don't be Racist. Thanks. -

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Someone here clearly only knows the bare minimum on Inhuman info. The caste system, slaves, and eugenics were all controled by the Genetics Council which were an basically an Inhumans villain group. It would be the same as going all Mutants are racist becasue the Brotherhood of Mutants and their belief of Mutant superiority.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member baumblume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Someone here clearly only knows the bare minimum on Inhuman info. The caste system, slaves, and eugenics were all controled by the Genetics Council which were an basically an Inhumans villain group. It would be the same as going all Mutants are racist becasue the Brotherhood of Mutants and their belief of Mutant superiority.
    What was done to them has to be factored in regardless of how long ago it was...especially given that they're still practically slaves, the Inhumans were like yeah you're free and all but...don't come anywhere near us and don't talk to anybody and leave us alone totally, no interaction at all...punishable by death...

    Not to mention Inhumans and Alpha Primitives interacting was looked down upon, which is what happened with Gorgon's daughter.we've got is that *Gorgon* is not a fan of his daughter dating outside of the species
    Romani Black Woman.
    Hi, Don't be Racist. Thanks. -

  4. #4
    Incredible Member mung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    What was done to them has to be factored in regardless of how long ago it was...especially given that they're still practically slaves, the Inhumans were like yeah you're free and all but...don't come anywhere near us and don't talk to anybody and leave us alone totally, no interaction at all...punishable by death...
    ah yes the best arguments always come from people complaining about comics they don't read.

  5. #5
    Incredible Member baumblume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    689

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mung View Post
    ah yes the best arguments always come from people complaining about comics they don't read.
    It doesn't change the fact that they were slaves and that the Inhumans now are trying to act like it never happened and that the slaves never existed...
    Romani Black Woman.
    Hi, Don't be Racist. Thanks. -

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Marvel has hung its hopes on? I have no idea where that comes from.

    Certainly there are inherent flaws in the Inhumans, by design perhaps. But I remember the issues of the caste drones, the Alpha Primitives, being addressed in the '70s, so it is not like their tale, tropes and all, was not meant to have these kind of teaching moments.

    I think more recent takes have included the idea that the genetic programming from their creation or tweaking by Kree account for a lot of these characteristics.
    They were created to be soldiers and related resources of a star spanning conquering race.

    Who themselves have been shown to have racist societies: Blue vs. Pink.

    I admit to not having more current knowledge of their various stories. I'm very out of the loop on Nuhmans.

    In a way I see them as the Anti-Eternals. Eternals have great powers, greater perhaps, but can not breed at all, with each other.

    Inhumans may nearly seem all about the breeding and the cultivation of various genetics. (and how is that different from Mr. Sinister, btw)

    I also admit to being more intrigued with the Royal family and the takes on society beyond the caste stuff. How the monarchy structures them, and the control of the people. This had to do with alpha primitives, as Noek points out (genetic council stuff).

    I don't even remember 'why' the alpha primitives were the way they were. They were some sort of drone subspecies but there was more to it and how it changed a little.?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

  7. #7
    Incredible Member baumblume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Posts
    689

    Default

    They were still treated like slaves, even if they were technically freed.
    Romani Black Woman.
    Hi, Don't be Racist. Thanks. -

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,008

    Default

    The Inhumans were never supposed to be heroes. They were just another example of the exotic lands that the Fantastic Four explored, full of deep flaws that the American stand-in Fantastic Four contrasted. While they weren't intended to be outright villains, they were intended to be cultural inferiors, ruled by backwards beliefs.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    576

    Default

    Baumblume, I'm to be real with you. It's consider rude/wrong to take other people words and pass them off as your own. And this is something I've seen you do multiple times. If you're going to use someone's else stuff, link to them so if people like they can know where it came from. Or at least use your own words.

  10. #10
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    17,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Marvel has hung its hopes on? I have no idea where that comes from.
    Yeah, I laughed about that line too. Looks like someone found an article online that was posted/written around 2015-2016, before Disney bought Marvel.

  11. #11
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    17,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    It doesn't change the fact that they were slaves and that the Inhumans now are trying to act like it never happened and that the slaves never existed...
    Are you writing a paper for your school comparing Inhumans to the history of slavery in the U.S?

  12. #12
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    Not to mention Inhumans and Alpha Primitives interacting was looked down upon, which is what happened with Gorgon's daughter.we've got is that *Gorgon* is not a fan of his daughter dating outside of the species
    That feels believable, that some Inhumans mainly the old guard would be in that mind set. Also the fact you bring up that Alecto (that's her name) doesn't have that way of thinking undermind your argument because look here is an Inhuman who likes the Alphas. If you want to make an argument you can make one on when the Inhumans do return they should let the next generation take over.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member Oberon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Too much of their basic story, history etc would have to change to make them more like what you think they should be.

    That's not going to happen, because they were intended to mostly be guest stars or characters of limited story lines. They're unique that way, and gosh darn it, as much as I hate the mutants getting all the bests cuts of meant,

    they are more viable in the sense of holding up a series. Inhumans serves the needs of some occasional unique forays into clearly a more alien way of seeing super humans.

    The only way that the Inhumans do well with the rest of the MU is when their main proxy / human, Crystal, mingles with the earth folks or others.

    In many ways Crystal and the Inhumans were sort of their half of a Marvel Super Hero (Lee and Kirby I might add) version of

    Romeo and Juliet.


    Two familes that didn't think their youngest should do the nasty or just be girl friend boy friend.

    That is the basic framework. Although it changed and Crystal married Pietro, she was always this sort of conduit to them and their story.

    But frankly that has been gone for a while. That is why the idea that she was given to Ronan and it served a higher purpose goes along with the idea.

    The Inhumans are more of a plot device, but Crystal is what makes them fit into things.

    Of course others/it could be others will do, but that is the basic conceit.

    in their own way, they are truly more unique

    than The X Peoples

    The Eternals

    all other super powered characters. They're just freaky and Inhuman. And I love them.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member jwatson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,338

    Default

    No the inhumans are a property that were used incorrectly by a group of insensitive writers but there is a lot of potential there. I don't know why but this is kind of comical it's like saying america use to have slavery so all white people are bad but most weren't even alive at the time and can only be held accountable for how they interact now. The inhumans don't even have that.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.

    My creator showcase thread ln cbr. http://https://community.cbr.com/showthread.php?150839-Art-Journey

    Number of People on my ignore list: 0

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    A caste system with a royal family and a slave class, -and- eugenics.

    The Inhumans really are a big mess of uncomfortable, aren't they. And yet this is what Marvel has hung its hopes on.
    Of course Jack Kirby, their creator and a Jewish author/artist who created stories and characters that went against eugenics and fascism, would make super heroes with totalitarian/fascist tendencies...

    If you actually read and understood the characters, you'd understand that the issues they bring to the table are about challenging eugenics, slavery, religion, tradition, and values.

    They aren't promoting eugenics and a caste system if the stories have the moral of how these things negatively affect inhumans, or rather Attilanean society. Gorgon's daughter is an inhuman, and the tradition of her land go against what she feels is right, but like in the real world, we put family, tradition, and religion before our own happiness sometimes.

    One of their first villains was feeding on their guilt. And the people of Attilan didn't like the rules of tradition because even though it might have been done for good reasons in the past, society has to evolve.

    You also need to understand that inhumans are a species and not just the 5 characters we usually see. And their stories go pretty deep to criticize and comment on society. They aren't just beat'em up type stories.

    You're reading their stories and ignore the lessons because either you don't get it, or you're just a hater that needs to occupy their time with something for some reason.




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •