Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Before the release of Zero Year, I had heard a rumor that Batman only wasn't held to the 5 year timeline like everyone else and that he was allowed to have existed before Superman but only as someone working in the shadows. As long as Batman remained an urban legend/myth and not a public hero until Superman's debut, then it still worked.

I'm really sad that's no longer the case, because it allowed everything to work kinda. Now? Now we still don't even know if Tim Drake was ever Robin or if he went straight to Red Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRin View Post
    Before the release of Zero Year, I had heard a rumor that Batman only wasn't held to the 5 year timeline like everyone else and that he was allowed to have existed before Superman but only as someone working in the shadows. As long as Batman remained an urban legend/myth and not a public hero until Superman's debut, then it still worked.

I'm really sad that's no longer the case, because it allowed everything to work kinda. Now? Now we still don't even know if Tim Drake was ever Robin or if he went straight to Red Robin.
    That was addressed in his Secret Origins, he was never robin, he went straight to Red Robin, something about honoring Jason's Memory

Incredible Member

I felt for a while that DC was just going to give the ole "Shhh, just play along," with the whole 5 year thing regarding Batman. As in it didn't really matter in regards to Batman, just everybody else. I mean INC. Volume 2 pretty much takes place in the old continuity if you ask me.

but with Zero Year now the offical NU52 origin, it looks like Batman has indeed been rebooted. I find it very hard to believe, with Zero Year now in existence, that Nightfall, Arkam Asylum, Killing Joke, etc. exist anymore. It's all gone.

and I really really don't want to see Snyders or anyone's from DC's VERSION of events. I think this sad consequence of the Nu52 is want kinda kills it for me. I'm usually not one to get all annoyed with continuity, but this kinda gets to me.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 08-27-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    I felt for a while that DC was just going to give the ole "Shhh, just play along," with the whole 5 year thing regarding Batman. As in it didn't really matter in regards to Batman, just everybody else. I mean INC. Volume 2 pretty much takes place in the old continuity if you ask me.

but with Zero Year now the offical NU52 origin, it looks like Batman has indeed been rebooted. I find it very hard to believe, with Zero Year now in existence, that Nightfall, Arkam Asylum, Killing Joke, etc. exist anymore. It's all gone.

and I really really don't want to see Snyders or anyone's from DC's VERSION of events. I think this sad consequence of the Nu52 is want kinda kills it for me. I'm usually not one to get all annoyed with continuity, but this kinda gets to me.
    I remember how I felt when the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI ended. Five years of some great characters and fun rides. It ended but it still existed.
    Then they started changing characters and killing them off, as if someone had a hit list with just JLI character names on it.
    Alas, those five years were still there.
    And then Generation Lost came and promised a return to greatness with a new JLI book spinning out of it.

But then New52 happened (notice I didn't say Flashpoint, as Flashpoint wasn't originally intended to reboot the universe).
    We got the new JLI book but it had been changed.
    It no longer spun out of Generation Lost.
    The female character that first appeared in Booster Gold during Flashpoint was removed prior to publication.
    And those five years of stories were finally erased from DC's history.

I can only imagine how someone who had followed Marv Wolfman's New Teen Titans for sixteen years feels.
    Especially since Donna and Wally were two of the biggest losers of the reboot.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Even Ra's would have trouble following the emergence of vigilante during a black-out in a city on the other side of the world.
    He was probably hearing about some rich kid going around learning stuff from masters all over the world before that.

Killing Joke exists. Batgirl has flashbacks to it.

Even if DC did reboot Batman from the beginning I don't really think it would have helped too much. If DC went back to something like Dick being Robin again I feel like people would just keep asking when Jason, Tim, and Damian would show up just like how people kept asking for Wally, Stephanie, and Donna. Also speaking of Batman and reboots what is the story of him and the League of Assassins? He did still train with them some time after zero right? The only Bat book I have constantly read since the new 52 began is Batman. I read some of Batman Inc and it gave the impression that he had some involvement with the League, but I want to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    such as Superman dying at the hands of doomsday
    Doesn't that only exist in a future time line seen in Morrisons Action Comics? I know the newspaper article in Superman 32 had the headline "Superman lives", but I still find it hard to believe Superman did die at some unseen point, but no one mentions it. Not even during Doomed.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post

Doesn't that only exist in a future time line seen in Morrisons Action Comics? I know the newspaper article in Superman 32 had the headline "Superman lives", but I still find it hard to believe Superman did die at some unseen point, but no one mentions it. Not even during Doomed.
    Batman is suffering from the same thing he did die at the hands of Darkseid in the new 52 timeline tomasi confirmed it in robin rises but yet Bruce and Dick talked about him taking the batman role as if that didn't already happen

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Even Ra's would have trouble following the emergence of vigilante during a black-out in a city on the other side of the world.
    Not if Ra's league was in Gotham during the events of Zero Year for some reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Not if Ra's league was in Gotham during the events of Zero Year for some reasons.
    Well Batman didn't encounter any ninjas, did he. Superman and Green Arrow were in Zero Year too. But Ra's is only interested in Batman and that's on his merits as a detective. Hence why he calls him "Detective". And it took Batman a little while to ease into his partnership with Gordon and Harvey.

Not really. Batman was hinted at to have been active as an urban myth. Dick Grayson we knew right away was definitely only recruited five years ago. All the Robins still had to be squeezed into that timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by toddx77 View Post
    Even if DC did reboot Batman from the beginning I don't really think it would have helped too much. If DC went back to something like Dick being Robin again I feel like people would just keep asking when Jason, Tim, and Damian would show up just like how people kept asking for Wally, Stephanie, and Donna. Also speaking of Batman and reboots what is the story of him and the League of Assassins? He did still train with them some time after zero right? The only Bat book I have constantly read since the new 52 began is Batman. I read some of Batman Inc and it gave the impression that he had some involvement with the League, but I want to make sure.

Superman, in a round about way, alludes to his "death" in Swamp Thing #1.....At least, that's how I took it...

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Killing Joke exists. Batgirl has flashbacks to it.
    Yes, though I still have no clue as to why DC thought they had to keep that story in continuity. (Maybe to further piss off Alan Moore?)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yes, though I still have no clue as to why DC thought they had to keep that story in continuity. (Maybe to further piss off Alan Moore?)
    To milk it for drama.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I think they may have originally intended to do more with the issue of Barbara still recovering from it mentally.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I think they may have originally intended to do more with the issue of Barbara still recovering from it mentally.
    Personally, I wish they had gotten rid of it completely (or, at the very least, made the story less disturbing).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?