Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tanya Spears: Power Girl Appreciation 2021

I've been wanting to create an appreciation thread for Tanya for awhile now. Post art featuring Tanya. Talk about her appearances in Worlds' Finest, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, etc. Talk about her current status quo, teams you'd like to see her in, villains you'd like her to fight.

"It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

POWERHOUSE 0.jpgI believe she goes by the name Powerhouse now.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    I thought that was just in Future State.

I like Tanya a lot! Bummed she’s not an official member of the Superfamily, real shame Priest never got to do that Power Girls series he wanted.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Where can I read about her? I love Power Girl post Crisis and will be interested to see if this interpretation is aligned more to her Pre and Post Crisis self

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Where can I read about her? I love Power Girl post Crisis and will be interested to see if this interpretation is aligned more to her Pre and Post Crisis self
    Totally new Power Girl, Karen exists as a separate entity. Tanya is her own thing, her best characterization is in Christopher Priest’s Deathstroke run believe it or not, but she was on the Teen Titans as well.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Totally new Power Girl, Karen exists as a separate entity. Tanya is her own thing, her best characterization is in Christopher Priest’s Deathstroke run believe it or not, but she was on the Teen Titans as well.
    They need to stop calling her Power Girl. She's not. And that does reinforce the idea that she's intended as DC's replacement for the original. Do what they want with Spears, so long as they change that name and never associate her with the classic Power Girl.

I liked the character more in the Deathstroke series by Priest. I don't know where she can go but she could join the Teen Titans (Upperclassmen) because she is still a recent character or The Terrifics because like Mr. Terrific she is also a scientist and Michael could become a mentor to her just like Power Girl (OG) did.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    They need to stop calling her Power Girl. She's not. And that does reinforce the idea that she's intended as DC's replacement for the original. Do what they want with Spears, so long as they change that name and never associate her with the classic Power Girl.
    She goes by the codename, Powerhouse. Naomi also goes by the same codename as well.

Is the concept of a legacy hero that hard to buy? Not like Jaime Reyes had any connection to Ted Kord when he took over the mantle.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-04-2021 at 07:54 AM.

I believe that was all connected with the New52 and when the Earth 2 Kara Zor-El was leaving the main Earth and returning to her home world.
    Since she wasn't going to be "Power Girl" on the main Earth any longer she was letting Tanya Spears take over that name as well. (Kara Zor-El of Earth 2 had been Supergirl on her Earth.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I liked the character more in the Deathstroke series by Priest. I don't know where she can go but she could join the Teen Titans (Upperclassmen) because she is still a recent character or The Terrifics because like Mr. Terrific she is also a scientist and Michael could become a mentor to her just like Power Girl (OG) did.

She goes by the codename, Powerhouse. Naomi also goes by the same codename as well.
    Naomi does too?
    Is this in Justice League?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is the concept of a legacy hero that hard to buy? Not like Jaime Reyes had any connection to Ted Kord when he took over the mantle.
    She isn't a legacy hero, never was, and seems to have been created to keep the name, but lose the classic version. Also, she's a reminder of the horrible nu52 era. A couple of appearances as a very minor supporting character don't make her "legacy".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I believe that was all connected with the New52 and when the Earth 2 Kara Zor-El was leaving the main Earth and returning to her home world.
    Since she wasn't going to be "Power Girl" on the main Earth any longer she was letting Tanya Spears take over that name as well. (Kara Zor-El of Earth 2 had been Supergirl on her Earth.)
    Oh, I read that issue. It was forced, a sort of "oh, by the way character I've met for like ten panels, but really don't know at all, you're now a superhero, rich, and you can use my name. Oh, and you've now got powers" way. Basically, a one issue origin story told in just a few panels in that issue. It was terrible writing. So I know nu52 Power Girl's actions, but her motivations seems to have been, "Hey, random person I barely know standing conveniently near me, here's stuff, go have a party while I move to nu Earth 2, (with half the calories of the original, and none of the taste), rather than anything the classic PG would have done.

To be clear, I'm fine with DC doing whatever they want with Spears, so long as they give her a new origin, one they actually bother to think about for more than half a minute, that has nothing to do with classic PG. The next time they meet, if ever, should be their first. That's all I ask. If she's rich, she earned it herself with an invention or something. Powers that have nothing to do with PG---she was never even there. And a different name. And color scheme, that's PG's, not hers.
    Last edited by achilles; 10-04-2021 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
    I thought Tanya’s use of the Powerhouse name was just in Future State. Did I miss something?

I’m behind on my reading. So, maybe I missed it. Did Tanya get out of the Innerverse she traveled to in Deathstroke Annual #1?

I’m really glad she got her own superhero name. She’s a cool character with a good design and deserves a unique identity. Christopher Priest did a great job of expanding on Tanya’s personality in his brilliant Deathstroke run.