Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I hadn't read too much from Orlando prior to him taking on Wonder Woman, but he proved himself there. I'm definitely in! I would have rather had Rachel than Kwannon though.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Hooray, Daken in a book! Boo, Somnus. His introduction was awful for me. Retcon boyfriend from a time that made no sense, with powers that made him almost seem like a mental rapist to me. The X-men have done those 'psychic dates' thing before and its always been terrible.
    The dude with the cute lil dream powers seems like a what? I swear some of y'all toss this around without any type of trigger warnings just to get a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Will the book actually have a plot after this annual? Because its currently Emma Frost doing random ****.
    So now we're just being negative to be negative, cause the book is getting a new creative team for a reason. Emma and the Hellfire Club is nowhere to be seen in this announcement.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 10-04-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Damn it. I had an out to this book with relaunch but this team pulled me back in. Kinda funny though how this book has basically become a foster home for mutants who lost their team book.
    So who are tempo and somnus?

To be fair, consent and dream manipulation are muddy subjects when put together. I won't go into this too much because it's not a good place for that talk, but yeah. I think it's fair for people to not think of it as sketchy, even if I think it is.

But I don't think Somnus is any sort of predator. While the situation does have some creepy undertones to it, I can understand Carl trying to do something good and not fully realizing the implications until it was too late. To his credit, it didn't look like he tried it on anyone after Daken had a negative reaction to it.
    Last edited by Rift; 10-04-2021 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Editing my post a bit since I don't want to blow this into a whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    In Somnus' defense, I don't think he's a predator. Consent and dream manipulation are muddy subjects when put together. It's something most people would never experience or know about. And that's not taking into account how people have begun to re-examine consent more thoroughly in as recently as the last couple decades. While the situation does have some creepy undertones to it, I can understand Carl trying to do something good and not fully realizing the implications until it was too late. To his credit, it didn't look like he tried it on anyone after Daken had a negative reaction to it.
    I really appreciate this post. In the particular story somnus was sleep and that is just his power so he may not have even experienced what Daken did as evidenced by "he went on with is life." It was not something intentional on his part but that doesn't minimize what effects such a power could cause but throughout the story we saw Somnus went on to deny the part of himself that may have wanted to live a life he may not have even been aware was lived but he stood to his commitments that he made and daken who did experience that life wanted Somnus to have the chance to persue the life he got to enjoy with him.

Which is why daken had him brought back despite somnus living a full life denying himself surrounded by family. So i don't know it felt kind of dirty to me trying to turn that into something predatory.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-04-2021 at 06:36 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

That didnt come off predatory at all to me. As Daken said he wanted to get to know him. And through his power they were allowed to get to know eachother. Also Daken is Daken. I mean I see where there is a consent issue but I honestly dont think using your powers to get to know someone is bad in this specific case.

Its like Carter giving Annie and Havok all those dates.

Good intentions but flawed.

I...did not like that Somnus story. Or Orlando's Man Thing one shot. My fingers are crossed that this near-brilliant lineup inspires him.

Daken, Psylocke, Bishop, Tempo, and Kate are such a cool group.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Here's the Tweet about this not being the full roster:

https://twitter.com/thesteveorlando/...98189565136898
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if he's implying there are more cast members, or that we just haven't seen the cast altogether yet. With Kate, Daken, and Psylocke being the only ones on the cover.

Time will tell.

Somnus' look and backstory still scream DeviantArt OC to me, so there is a lot of work that needs to be done in order to round out his character. That being said, I hope Orlando is self-aware enough to avoid pulling a Bendis and have his creation hog all the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So who are tempo and somnus?
    Somnus I have no clue since I don’t follow the Marvel: Voices books though apparently he’s a new creation. Tempo on the other hand was at least foreshadowed to join when Kitty offered it to her.

Very excited for Marauders again. I love this line-up. So here for the move triangle. And I’m super glad Kwannon already has a new home under a good writer.

Dauterman is flawless as usual.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Astonishing Member

Well I guess I'm coming at this way to an unbiased view point. I hope Somnus is written well and is fun to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The dude with the cute lil dream powers seems like a what? I swear some of y'all toss this around without any type of trigger warnings just to get a reaction.

So now we're just being negative to be negative, cause the book is getting a new creative team for a reason. Emma and the Hellfire Club is nowhere to be seen in this announcement.
    That's fair. But I really hated how Marauders became the Emma Frost Show. If you like her, you probably enjoyed that book more. And because she was basically the lead character its not unrealistic to question if she'll be around for the new book.

As for Somnus, I don't know what the proper term is for him. He's a guy Daken had a one night stand with, and during the night he telekinetically invaded his dreams to give him a lifetime of happy dreams with him. It felt very close to mind controlling someone into liking you for me. And like I said X men have had a bad history with these kind of 'psychic dates'.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    So basically everyone is staying in Marauders except for Iceman and Emma (which was a given)

Pyro is no longer there too. I hope Iceman get his own team, for god's sake, he's an Omega mutant and an original X-Man.

Is this team permanent or just for the annual?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    P...P...Pyro....
    Did someone call?

Jokes aside, I’m curious as to how things will go after Inferno. The inclusion of Kwannon has me excited.