Default Remo Williams versus Xena

Alright, since these Remo Williams threads are showing up right and left and I haven't started a thread for a while, why not?

Because I want to get this down to the essence of their abilities, no guns, no swords, no chakram, just a hand-to-hand fight.

Just to note, this is movie RW.
    Power with Girl is better.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Movie Remo is fun but I don't know that he can take Xena. First, she has all of the wire-fighting agility feats (which have not aged well, but which still count), second ISTR people claiming that her speed it pretty up there. Remo hits hard, is definitely skilled, and is pretty fast (point-blank bullet-dodging, even against a guy who is significantly faster than he is), but Xena is more skilled, hits as hard, is more agile (thanks to the combat style in the show, but again, that counts), so if she's as fast, it's game over.

EDIT:

Huh, so I decided to check the movie out for the first time in a while. I can't find it online for legal streaming, but I found clips. And the clip of Remo's bullet-dodging scene at the end is, based on sound and such, quite clearly bullet-timing. Each shot you see the guy fire, you hear the report, it switches to Remo, THEN he moves and the bullet impacts behind him.

Obviously, 1985 movie, but here it is:

Last edited by big_adventure; 10-06-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Movie Remo is fun but I don't know that he can take Xena. First, she has all of the wire-fighting agility feats (which have not aged well, but which still count), second ISTR people claiming that her speed it pretty up there. Remo hits hard, is definitely skilled, and is pretty fast (point-blank bullet-dodging, even against a guy who is significantly faster than he is), but Xena is more skilled, hits as hard, is more agile (thanks to the combat style in the show, but again, that counts), so if she's as fast, it's game over.

EDIT:

Huh, so I decided to check the movie out for the first time in a while. I can't find it online for legal streaming, but I found clips. And the clip of Remo's bullet-dodging scene at the end is, based on sound and such, quite clearly bullet-timing. Each shot you see the guy fire, you hear the report, it switches to Remo, THEN he moves and the bullet impacts behind him.

Obviously, 1985 movie, but here it is:

Yes, he definitely does not even start moving until after the gun was fired for the first few shots. As you said, the very definition of bullet timing.

We never see Xena face a gun. There is an episode where her clone in the modern world says she's gone up against guns and she's not impressed. She's holding a submachine gun and it implies she took it away from whoever was shooting at her. BUT we don't actually see it happen. Even Hercules, in the modern world, was held at bay by a gun. He had to manipulate to get within reach and then was able to slap the gun away faster than the person could pull the trigger. But, key words, he had to get close enough. Moving his whole body out of the way was not an option. While one or two people with crossbows were no threat to Hercules or Xena, a dozen definitely were.

So, undeniable speed advantage to movie Remo. The question becomes whether that is enough of a speed difference to overcome her other advantages in strength and skill. And I'm not sure on that.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

If you can hear the gunshot before dodging, wouldn't that mean that the bullet was traveling slower than sound?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    If you can hear the gunshot before dodging, wouldn't that mean that the bullet was traveling slower than sound?
    Typical 1911 (the gun being shot in the clip above) bullet speed: 950 feet per second (fps).
    Speed of Sound: 1125 fps

Which makes a reaction based on sound even more impressive, if you think about it. It's not the speed of the bullet from the gun you need to worry about: It's the speed of the bullet from where it is when you hear the report.