All-New Member

Default Is comic better then the movies?

Hi, I am huge marvel fan and followed their pages, fan pages, groups etc everywhere. Now the problem is sometimes on these groups/pages they post something from the comic and which seems to be important information if you are following marvel but I have no idea about what they are talking about so do you think it is time to read the comic or will it be revealed in the upcoming marvel movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal View Post
    Hi, I am huge marvel fan and followed their pages, fan pages, groups etc everywhere. Now the problem is sometimes on these groups/pages they post something from the comic and which seems to be important information if you are following marvel but I have no idea about what they are talking about so do you think it is time to read the comic or will it be revealed in the upcoming marvel movies?
    Give a try to the comics. They often have more breath to say what they want to say.
    But beware there could be some bad stories much liek there could be bad movies.

Mighty Member

For comics, that depend on which characters do you find justice and interesting. For example, Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing has the best excellent take and characteristic of Hulk compare to the MCU version, who look like a complete tone down in overalll view of Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    For comics, that depend on which characters do you find justice and interesting. For example, Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing has the best excellent take and characteristic of Hulk compare to the MCU version, who look like a complete tone down in overalll view of Hulk.
    Yes, precisely...it depends on “which comic, which movie?”

I’m biased generally in favour of the comics...I can think of a lot of Fantastic Four comic runs that I think are much better than any of the movies, for example. But even I find the some of the movies more entertaining than some comics.

Comics have more potential than movies, that's for sure. They are not constrained by budget, actor's contracts or a limited screen time. Anything can happen if it can be drawn, characters may keep appearing as long as people are interested in them, and plots can took all the time they need to be resolved in either short or long arcs.

Having said that... a film is a very special product, and there are many people checking and double-checking everything about it and all the fine details are perfected before release (at least, that's the idea). You can watch a major film and be reasonably certain that it will be a solid product that you will enjoy. Comic books, on the other hand, are released by dozens each month. Even with editors trying to keep up the quality, you'll often find contradictions, plot holes, questionable creative ideas, plain bad quality, etc.

Ultimate Member

In some ways, yes, the comics are better. In a lot of ways they have more interesting or distinct stories instead of generic ones, and have more time to flesh out the characters than movies do. They're also more progressive, to some extent, in that they have more different heroes from different backgrounds than most of the movie version have so far. They're also not constrained by budgets, as Ultimate Captain America pointed out here, or the schedules of cast and crew, or social preconceptions about characters' appearances, to some extent

however, they're also stagnant and generally don't progress forward in terms of storyline, which movies do

The comics (generally classic ones) are infinitely better. They contain the concepts, details, intimate character studies, etc. etc. The movies, while entertaining in their way, are fairly standard and formulaic as far as story go (even though they are intertwined).

The comic creators have considerably more leeway to tell fantastical stories that the films either can't/wont do (time constraints, over-reliance on CGI, etc.).

Well, you need much more money to make movies, you have more people to contend with and you take less risks… It tends to stifle creativity.

I remember better good comics than good movies… maybe because when I like a comic, I tend to reread it and so, I spend more time with it.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe