Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries!

Default Documentaries!

Hey everybody,

I just noticed there hasn't been a thread in the TV/Film section that covered DOCUMENTARIES. These days, I watch a LOT more documentaries than "scripted" television shows and movies. Maybe because I find them to be more educational and edifying? I recently watched Citizen Hearst on American Experience last week and absolutely loved it! What a fascinating life William Randolph Hearst lived. I also recorded Genesis: The Last Domino on PBS last night. It's also available up on YouTube:

I want to say I won't be able to respond to EVERY recommendation that comes my way, but I think CBR is a great place to share documentaries that members here should watch. I don't care if they're about sports, art, business, science, nature, cooking, gardening, history, true crime and politics. And biographies are most welcome. Looking forward to seeing the responses.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-05-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I see Hula has the entire run of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaires available now. There are some really good ones in that series.

Mighty Member

Dear Zachery effected me in ways I've never been before.
    It's a sad documentary to watch, but while It's a sad conclusion, it's beatifully edited to become something else.

How to start a sex cult is also a crazy one which focuses more on a guy Who has lost touch with reality. I'll have to include some trigger warnings that it does go into abuse And human trafficing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I see Hula has the entire run of ESPN's 30 for 30 documentaires available now. There are some really good ones in that series.
    The best 30 for 30 was the 4 part series on the 86 Mets! I have watched that several times
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

There was a special on the 86 Mets? Cool. 30 for 30 is great. I gotta check that one out. And yes, I've seen Dear Zachery. Very sad story. I also believe almost all cults have a sexually exploitative element to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    There was a special on the 86 Mets? Cool. 30 for 30 is great. I gotta check that one out. And yes, I've seen Dear Zachery. Very sad story. I also believe almost all cults have a sexually exploitative element to them.
    Yea a 4 parter called Once Upon A Time in Queens. it is the best 30 for 30 they put out. It is amazing! Talks about the years before 86 and how they build the team, the 86 team and the collapse after!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yea a 4 parter called Once Upon A Time in Queens. it is the best 30 for 30 they put out. It is amazing! Talks about the years before 86 and how they build the team, the 86 team and the collapse after!
    Oh great! I love Mookie Wilson.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The best 30 for 30 was the 4 part series on the 86 Mets! I have watched that several times
    Broke really opened my eyes that it was not just athletes being stupid that made so many of them lose their money. Seeing how friends and family take advantage of so many of them was a surprise.

Invincible Member

Hey everybody,

I just noticed there hasn't been a thread in the TV/Film section that covered DOCUMENTARIES. These days, I watch a LOT more documentaries than "scripted" television shows and movies. Maybe because I find them to be more educational and edifying? I recently watched Citizen Hearst on American Experience last week and absolutely loved it! What a fascinating life William Randolph Hearst lived. I also recorded Genesis: The Last Domino on PBS last night. It's also available up on YouTube:

I want to say I won't be able to respond to EVERY recommendation that comes my way, but I think CBR is a great place to share documentaries that members here should watch. I don't care if they're about sports, art, business, science, nature, cooking, gardening, history, true crime and politics. And biographies are most welcome. Looking forward to seeing the responses.
    I saw that, I thought it was pretty good.

PBS also recently aired a decent Ken Burns doc on Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I saw that, I thought it was pretty good.

PBS also recently aired a decent Ken Burns doc on Muhammad Ali
    Yeah, but I felt bad for Phil. I miss his drumming. I'm not a huge fan of folk rock or prog rock, so I never truly got into Genesis. But I think the band sounded great. They're really good live. I didn't catch the Ali one, but I saw the one on William Randolph Hearst. That one was pretty interesting.

Invincible Member

Yeah, but I felt bad for Phil. I miss his drumming. I'm not a huge fan of folk rock or prog rock, so I never truly got into Genesis. But I think the band sounded great. They're really good live. I didn't catch the Ali one, but I saw the one on William Randolph Hearst. That one was pretty interesting.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. The one I saw was the Hearst one that I thought was really good. I didn't see the Genesis one.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. The one I saw was the Hearst one that I thought was really good. I didn't see the Genesis one.
    Oh, I apologize for getting it wrong. I thought the Hearst documentary was excellent. That dude definitely lived an interesting and charmed life. I think it's my favorite American Experience documentary of 2021 to be honest. The research that went into it was impressive.

Spectacular Member

Not the hardest hitting journalism or the most important subject, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for Howard Smith’s 70s documentary Gizmo! free to watch on YT now

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackTerror View Post
    Not the hardest hitting journalism or the most important subject, but I always had a soft spot in my heart for Howard Smith’s 70s documentary Gizmo! free to watch on YT now
    Doesn't matter. Sounds so interesting. Will take a look. Thanks!

Invincible Member

Here's a pretty good doc about Studio 54. It's from a few years back, but it's still on Netflix.