Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Documentaries!

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Here's a pretty good doc about Studio 54. It's from a few years back, but it's still on Netflix.

Looks interesting. Not too familiar with disco, but sounds fun! Thanks for the recommendation.

VH1 Behind the Music was a personal favourite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    VH1 Behind the Music was a personal favourite of mine.
    Easily one of the best documentary series of all-time!

For jazz lovers Ken Burns The History of Jazz was amazing!

Pretty much any Ken Burns Doc is great! But they are pricey that is the down side.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It's a spoof of documentaries (or rather a spoof of a show celebrating spoof documentaries), but check out the series Documentary Now! mostly featuring Fred Armisen and Bill Hader. It's really well done and funny. Always opens with an introduction by Helen Mirren too.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Default Ever heard of the British documentary film titled, "The Age of Stupid" before?

What would be your opinion on this documentary film if you have ever watched (or heard of) it before?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

Pretty much any Ken Burns Doc is great! But they are pricey that is the down side.
    They're free if you can watch them on PBS when they are aired.

BANNED

E True Hollywood Story that used to air on the E Network. Thiis was before the channel became Kardashians trash tv

Discovering movies. In fact I am watching an episode right now, Discovering Olivia De Havilland

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

I'm more into country music, so I liked his documentary on that genre. But the jazz one was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    What would be your opinion on this documentary film if you have ever watched (or heard of) it before?
    Sounds interesting and obscure. I like the title!

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    It's a spoof of documentaries (or rather a spoof of a show celebrating spoof documentaries), but check out the series Documentary Now! mostly featuring Fred Armisen and Bill Hader. It's really well done and funny. Always opens with an introduction by Helen Mirren too.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I only recently found out that Helen Mirren is a very funny person.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    E True Hollywood Story that used to air on the E Network. Thiis was before the channel became Kardashians trash tv

Discovering movies. In fact I am watching an episode right now, Discovering Olivia De Havilland
    She was a legendary actress. Really liked her in The Heiress!

Just wanted to let you folks know that TCM will be airing a documentary on Saturday November 27th from 12:30 AM to 2:30 AM about the life and times of Dean Martin. He sure hated rock and roll though (LOL):

Retired

I wonder if I'm the only one who watched GET BACK, in all three parts. Being a Beatles fan from the age of 5, this is for me. But maybe not for all the Marvel loving comic book movie fans on here. And if you don't know the Beatles that well, then some of this might be kind of boring for you.

But I remember the day in 1970 when my big brother came home from the record store with the LET IT BE album. It came in what was shaped like a pizza box and it didn't just have the record, there was other stuff in the box, like a thick booklet with content from the movie and the recording sessions.

I've seen that movie a few times and I've been waiting most of my life to see more of what actually happened in those days in January, 1969--which we finally got with the GET BACK series from Peter Jackson.

I found the whole experience fascinating. And the rooftop concert, everything about that, overcame me with emotions.

Some think that Peter Jackson cut the movie together to make it tell a more positive story. But he gives you eight hours of footage in chronological order--which is not what we got from Michael Lindsay-Hogg. There might have been some selection on Jackson's part that leans toward an upbeat feeling--but it would be impossible for him to create that given his self-imposed format and it all being film and sound that was shot at the time as it happened. There is a lot of depressing stuff in the series, too--because real life is depressing at times.

I feel like a certain narrative was imposed by the original LET IT BE film that doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Hogg clearly wanted to shape a story and push the Beatles into making that story for him. And by creating that movie he shaped how the history would be remembered. But this series shows that maybe we're remembering it all wrong. If we remember it at alll--which maybe most don't. I guess not many people know anything about the Beatles anymore. It all happened long ago in a far away place.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wonder if I'm the only one who watched GET BACK, in all three parts. Being a Beatles fan from the age of 5, this is for me. But maybe not for all the Marvel loving comic book movie fans on here. And if you don't know the Beatles that well, then some of this might be kind of boring for you.

But I remember the day in 1970 when my big brother came home from the record store with the LET IT BE album. It came in what was shaped like a pizza box and it didn't just have the record, there was other stuff in the box, like a thick booklet with content from the movie and the recording sessions.

I've seen that movie a few times and I've been waiting most of my life to see more of what actually happened in those days in January, 1969--which we finally got with the GET BACK series from Peter Jackson.

I found the whole experience fascinating. And the rooftop concert, everything about that, overcame me with emotions.

Some think that Peter Jackson cut the movie together to make it tell a more positive story. But he gives you eight hours of footage in chronological order--which is not what we got from Michael Lindsay-Hogg. There might have been some selection on Jackson's part that leans toward an upbeat feeling--but it would be impossible for him to create that given his self-imposed format and it all being film and sound that was shot at the time as it happened. There is a lot of depressing stuff in the series, too--because real life is depressing at times.

I feel like a certain narrative was imposed by the original LET IT BE film that doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Hogg clearly wanted to shape a story and push the Beatles into making that story for him. And by creating that movie he shaped how the history would be remembered. But this series shows that maybe we're remembering it all wrong. If we remember it at alll--which maybe most don't. I guess not many people know anything about the Beatles anymore. It all happened long ago in a far away place.
    I'm not a Beatles megafan but of course like their music. (I think it was said in the Rolling Stone Encyclopedia that "not liking the Beatles is akin to not liking the Sun" ) And have found Get Back to be pretty fascinating. Have to admit I was astounded to watch Paul sit there with his bass, noodle around for 5 minutes in front of a bunch of people and cameras and essentially write Get Back on the spot. Just amazing.