Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Documentaries!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The bug loving little kid in this soon to be 65 year old man is really looking forward to this:

That looks so cute! I'm hanging on to Disney Plus because National Geographic is still putting out great stuff. I thought Awkwafina sounded a lot like Scarlett Johansson to be honest!

M*A*S*H: The Comedy That Changed Television (FOX) and Dick Van Dyke 98 Years of Magic (CBS) were really interesting documentaries. It was fun to discover the history of television like that (the show and the actor were prominent well before my time). The networks should do more specials like those in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yea a 4 parter called Once Upon A Time in Queens. it is the best 30 for 30 they put out. It is amazing! Talks about the years before 86 and how they build the team, the 86 team and the collapse after!
    I'm a Massachusetts boy, so there's a different feeling about 86. However, I had tickets to see Billy Joel in Worcester, MA during the series. The booing during every attempted intro to "New York State of Mind" was stuff of legend as Joel got to the point where he'd try it just to get a reaction after a while.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

My favorite NFL Films documentary (Missing Rings: 1990 Buffalo Bills):

Actually enjoyed the "talking head" athletes in it. Alec Baldwin's narration was great too. Brutal for the folks in Western New York.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-06-2024 at 05:11 PM.

Invincible Member

The downsides to AI and algorithms concerning civil rights and privacy rights.

Interesting. Never knew about this. Thanks for sharing.

BBC RADIO documentary dedicated to one of my favorite rock acts of all-time: The Everly Brothers:

Happy 85th Phil wherever you are!

Just wanted to let you know TCM will be airing "Hoop Dreams" on February 3/4 from 10:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    Looks good!

James Brown: Say It Loud will be broadcast on A&E on February 20, 2024 from 6 PM to 10 PM:

Just watched the wonderful Hoop Dreams a week ago. Though it was three hours long, they went by quickly!:

https://watchdocumentaries.com/hoop-dreams/

Don't think I've posted about it in this thread but DINOSAUR! in 1985's quite interesting. It was hosted by Christopher Reeve, covers a lot of topics such as the main Dinosaur science at the time & Dinos in pop culture (This was before Jurassic Park so a lot of it deals with "The Flinstones" and "King Kong", but also then fairly new but mostly forgotten films like "Cavemen" and "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend") but also stuff such as cryptozoology (Loch ness monster, Mkele Membe etc)

The highlight though is definitely Phil Tippett's work for the special, which is kind of a peak into what JURASSIC PARK might've looked like had they decided not to use CG, as Phil was going to do some of the non-animatronic Dinosaur effects before they realized CG could work (Phil was still consultant though). In addition to original footage it also included excerpts from his film PREHISTORIC BEAST.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Don't think I've posted about it in this thread but DINOSAUR! in 1985's quite interesting. It was hosted by Christopher Reeve, covers a lot of topics such as the main Dinosaur science at the time & Dinos in pop culture (This was before Jurassic Park so a lot of it deals with "The Flinstones" and "King Kong", but also then fairly new but mostly forgotten films like "Cavemen" and "Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend") but also stuff such as cryptozoology (Loch ness monster, Mkele Membe etc)

The highlight though is definitely Phil Tippett's work for the special, which is kind of a peak into what JURASSIC PARK might've looked like had they decided not to use CG, as Phil was going to do some of the non-animatronic Dinosaur effects before they realized CG could work (Phil was still consultant though). In addition to original footage it also included excerpts from his film PREHISTORIC BEAST.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I remember Reeve having a pretty good voice.

It's a heart-wrenching film on Amazon Prime and Paramount Plus now.

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?